• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Our dogs do not always listen or mind very well. They both seem to be very stubborn at times. I have our GSD on time out right now on her bed for not obeying me when I called for her. We were outside and was just getting ready to come inside and she decides to go chasing after the neighbor next door who is on his 4 wheeler. Now mind you had had been out there for some time and she knew it but she just had to chase him when she knew she was coming inside I guess. SO here I am yelling my butt off and she ignores me totally. The neighbor gets mad and tries running her over with the ATV which encourages her even more. She finally comes back and I make her lay on her bed. She is still laying there. This happens a lot. We live in a rural area no fences and all house have a few acres with them. She used to obey a lot better but the last year or so she doesn't obey me very well at all. Not sure why or what is going on all of a sudden. Does time out really work in the long run? How do you other pet owners get your dogs to obey and what is the disciplinary actions you take for when they don't?

Last edited:

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I took the easy way out! Put a fence up and let them run at will. Heck, some people aren't trainable, let alone animals. And some breeds do better then others. :yesway:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Long ago a dog trainer told me that one of the toughest commands to train a dog is to get it to come when called. Very true in the case of my dog at the time. He would come when he felt like it.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    You (not the dog) need training classes. With no physical boundaries most of your training needs to take place using a 75-100' leash (typically a clothesline is used here). The only punishment should be verbal. Turning a crate or bed/sleeping spot into a punishment is a horrible idea.

And some dogs are not trainable. In that case you'd need to decide whether to fence the area, deal with the misbehavior, or remove the dog from your home.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    You (not the dog) need training classes. With no physical boundaries most of your training needs to take place using a 75-100' leash (typically a clothesline is used here).

I had one dog that had a problem coming when called. After some reading, I made a long line with a 50-foot light rope and we spent many many sessions. We'd go for long walks, and I'd let her wander a ways, then I'd call her. If she didn't immediately turn towards me I'd pull with just enough force to bring her to me, then I'd give her a quick head rub and say "good girl", then I'd just start walking again. I tried not to call her to me too many times, but enough to get in some "reps". It took awhile, but she finally got it. Time, patience, and consistency is the key.

I've had one German Shepard dog in my life, and It was like that dog was preprogrammed with complete obedience built in. She was the most trainable dog I've ever had.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Timeout. Of course the oldest will actually pout so when timeout is over she refuses to leave, I guess at that point she's punishing us. Mostly though they're all BIG SWEETIES that don't need punishing; if they get in the trash it's because I forgot to shut the door, if they chew up a shoe or piece of clothing it's because I didn't put it away, if they crap on the floor it's because I didn't let them out.

See a pattern developing here?

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    A dog learns by every action either having a consequence or reward. When the dog does what you asked it to, it can really have a big effect if you treat it like it was the best dog in the world (i.e. lots of praise, play etc.). The suggestion of long line above typically shows good success rates for recall. Give it a try, but start with short distances.

Keep in mind that the oldest and most fun game for a dog is also chasing things. Turn that in your favor and make your dog want to chase you. This can build the speed at which the dog will recall.

Lastly, make sure you use consistency in the command words that you use. If you use "come" then always use come. If the dog seems to ignore a command you have been using then consider changing the command all together. If a dog ignores "come" then maybe start again from square one and use "here."

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I raise all puppies on a doghouse and a small chain.As they do right,they get more chain.After house broken,they have respect for the house.When they are bad,back to the chain for a day or so.Freedom is something EVERYONE takes for granted.Dogs learn the concept quit fast.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    The monks of New Skete have an excellent book on dog training fundamentals. I strongly recommend it.

Leerburg.com also has some great advice on dog training. The guy is a jerk, but his advice is spot on. Read all you can there.

Meanwhile, think of them of them as animals, not people. Start with crate training, and make sure that every privilege is earned.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Our dogs do not always listen or mind very well. They both seem to be very stubborn at times. I have our GSD on time out right now on her bed for not obeying me when I called for her. We were outside and was just getting ready to come inside and she decides to go chasing after the neighbor next door who is on his 4 wheeler. Now mind you had had been out there for some time and she knew it but she just had to chase him when she knew she was coming inside I guess. SO here I am yelling my butt off and she ignores me totally. The neighbor gets mad and tries running her over with the ATV which encourages her even more. She finally comes back and I make her lay on her bed. She is still laying there. This happens a lot. We live in a rural area no fences and all house have a few acres with them. She used to obey a lot better but the last year or so she doesn't obey me very well at all. Not sure why or what is going on all of a sudden. Does time out really work in the long run? How do you other pet owners get your dogs to obey and what is the disciplinary actions you take for when they don't?

You have a trainer, in Greenfield, but I don't know if he trains GS..... He is here on INGO .....

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

I had one dog that had a problem coming when called. After some reading, I made a long line with a 50-foot light rope and we spent many many sessions. We'd go for long walks, and I'd let her wander a ways, then I'd call her. If she didn't immediately turn towards me I'd pull with just enough force to bring her to me, then I'd give her a quick head rub and say "good girl", then I'd just start walking again. I tried not to call her to me too many times, but enough to get in some "reps". It took awhile, but she finally got it. Time, patience, and consistency is the key.

I've had one German Shepard dog in my life, and It was like that dog was preprogrammed with complete obedience built in. She was the most trainable dog I've ever had.

The rope method worked awesome with my golden chow mix. I took cheese with me. He'd wander farther then I wanted I'd call him back. If he didn't come back I drug him back and gave him a small peice of cheese. When he can back on his own he got a whole peice of cheese. I made the rope longer and let him go farther. He caught on fast. the last 7 years of his life no leash was ever required. Didn;t matter where we went. My bully on the other has is more interested in what ever he wants to to when it comes to being outside. He is learning but slowly. He wants to experience everything! Luckily he is gentle with people and other animals. So smart in a lot of ways my golden chow wasn't. Every dog has it's own personality.

A "time out" for a dog?? :ugh:
    Hell yeah. It works. Trust me. When my dog does something bad he knows. I just yell TIME OUT!! And he goes to his spot. He comes back tuned up. Some times if I raise my voice at my boy the dog just heads to time out! :): It's kinda funny.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I go to the Dunes Dog Training Club in Hebron. They seem like real good people so far. I'm training my GSD the basics now, but she will be my PTSD dog. They offer free training to disabled vets. They highly recommend treats, and being positive.

Dunes Dog Training

My Brandy.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Training classes #1.
    Long line, choker collar, treats, stern voice.
    Gsd should train easily.
    If you have a stubborn one, an e collar combined with the above will quickly have him behaving perfectly.

First friend k9 in fishers. Make the call. You won't be sorry.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I go to the Dunes Dog Training Club in Hebron. They seem like real good people so far. I'm training my GSD the basics now, but she will be my PTSD dog. They offer free training to disabled vets. They highly recommend treats, and being positive.

Dunes Dog Training

My Brandy.

That's awesome!

Glad to know about Dunes Dog Training. I had no idea that they existed.

"Treats and being positive" In my experience this works. It's not discipline, it's course correction. Learn how the dog thinks and the rest falls into place.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    That's awesome!

Glad to know about Dunes Dog Training. I had no idea that they existed.

"Treats and being positive" In my experience this works. It's not discipline, it's course correction. Learn how the dog thinks and the rest falls into place.
    Neither did I. My father-in-law saw a lady with their name on the back of her shirt and talked to her.

Top Bottom