How Did We Get Here? Squatters Have More Rights Than Owners…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    How so? If the thief has a BOS that would have similar need to be looked at in a civil court to verify authenticity.
    Its a criminal offense, I call in my car has been stolen and LE finds it.
    Thief shows LE a Bill of Sale, Policeman Laughs.
    Car is titled and registered to me, not the thief.

Thief doesn't have a signed title to go along with the Bill of Sale.
    Thief goes to jail.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't think you can be prosecuted for breaking & entering property that you own right?

You're also within your rights to have a vehicle towed from any property that you own, even if there are lawful tenants present.
    No. If the tenant has a lease they have rights that the owner must follow rental regulations.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Its a criminal offense, I call in my car has been stolen and LE finds it.
    Thief shows LE a Bill of Sale, Policeman Laughs.
    Car is titled and registered to me, not the thief.

Thief doesn't have a signed title to go along with the Bill of Sale.
    Thief goes to jail.
    I hope it would work that way but I suspect it would not. Thief shows BOS paying cash, says you promised to send title after you pay off bank. LEO says not their problem solve it in court…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    How is it different that what is happening with the houses? Unauthorized access with fraudulent papers. Why will LEO figure out the auto by the title but not the house?
    Mike,
    I dont know, maybe by the Registration and the tags on the car, and who's name is on the autos Title with a BMV check.

The laws Mike

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Agreed. I am trying to figure out just how long is the time frame between breaking and entering/trespassing to squatters rights? And how we got to the point we are…
    I am still looking for discussion of where the line is between breaking and entering/trespassing to squatters rights?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    b72777f3-27cd-4fe9-ad1c-3e63c51c8ac2_text.gif

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    Mike,
    I dont know, maybe by the Registration and the tags on the car, and who's name is on the autos Title with a BMV check.

The laws Mike
    Cause reasons.

The “laws” may not align, but I stand by the logic of my analogy. If I catch you in my house or my car uninvited the results are likely to be the same, and they won’t be civil.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I am still looking for discussion of where the line is between breaking and entering/trespassing to squatters rights?
    That's a good question. When exactly does a burglar become a squatter?? I have no idea but I cannot believe there isn't a quick way to resolve the issue. Ownership is readily verifiable. Validity of the supposed lease is readily determined. Calling it a 'civil issue' and walking away seems a bit lazy on the part of the authorities.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's a good question. When exactly does a burglar become a squatter?? I have no idea but I cannot believe there isn't a quick way to resolve the issue. Ownership is readily verifiable. Validity of the supposed lease is readily determined. Calling it a 'civil issue' and walking away seems a bit lazy on the part of the authorities.
    The only plausible possibility this is avoiding is I rent you my house for a year because I got a transfer. I lose my job a month after you move in.
    I need my house back so I call the cops and say "I never signed that. He is lying." . Meanwhile you are now out on your ear with no place to stay, I stole your deposit, etc.

(or something like that)

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have heard of this happening in homes in other states but not in Indiana. Are there any examples of this actually happening in Indiana in a residence? Maybe Indiana has laws preventing it?

Top Bottom