Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Fine. Everything’s fine.

1707092656610.jpeg

Glad you asked.

On a positive note, it’s only the outer pane so I’m not having to board it up.

Wife set one of the oven racks by the door. At some point it fell over against the stationary side and was obscured by the curtains.

I went to open the door and it abruptly stopped when it hit the rack and the outer pane shattered.

Hopefully I can order a replacement slider from pella so I dont have to do actual construction.

Just for good measure I put a layer of packing tape on the outside to laminate it in place so it doesnt come loose.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That is a cool pattern. So all I have to do is get the wife to set it up for me and
    Wife said she actually liked that. If it wasnt compromised both structurally and thermally, maybe.

She said she wants to look into the film that has that pattern in it for the new slider.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    They can probably just replace the glass. I haven't done this in three decades, but I might still be able to do it depending, I would have to see the construction to see how it is put together.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I had to look at it three times before I understood what you were talking about, I thought it was just a cool looking window.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ouch. I bet that won’t be cheap. A couple years ago we had some sashes that had started to rot (aluminum clad wood). The replacements must have been made of gold.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Ouch. I bet that won’t be cheap. A couple years ago we had some sashes that had started to rot (aluminum clad wood). The replacements must have been made of gold.
    Family had to replace a pella window sash as a mower sent a rock through outter glass. Think it is around 14x33" or something like that. Cost was insane, almost $1k

• Wow
    Reactions: Mij

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Luckilly no. This one is entry level 100% vinyl. I installed it with the help of the inlaws back in 2012.

A whole new unit off the shelf is in the $500 ballpark. If Pella quotes me $600 for a custom door, I'll drop it like its hot, grab my ankles and say "thank you master, may I have another?". Turning two screws and lifting out the old slider and dropping in a new is FAR better than replacing the entire unit. (And resealing, re flashing, re trimming, etc)

Just gotta get back to Lowes tomorrow with the model/serial number that was discretely etched into the glass. I didnt see it at first. I had to go try to order a new one and the clerk told me where to look. Once I got down there with a flashlight and a magnifying glass I was able to see it. Invisible otherwise. Holy hell.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    You can get the glass insert. Remove 4 retaining strips and the old glass comes out, the new glass goes in, and you tap the strips back in place with a small hammer.
    All patio door glass, as well as bathroom windows (obscure or not) are tempered, by law.

I drive for a building products company, and have seen many patio door panels fall over and shatter. The glass holds together (like in your photo) but lying there on the floor after the argon gas has escaped, little pieces start popping off into the air, like mexican jumping beans. The engineers say this is due to thermal expansion.

Top Bottom