• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Doctors/hospitals also should not be told by insurance companies and government regulators what they will be paid. They HAVE to mark up some consumables and labor to make up for ridiculous insurance payments, low .gov mandated rates, and all of the non-payment and write-offs.

The system is a **** show, from all sides. Government meddling doesn't help, and our so-called "insurance" Ponzi schemes started the mess.
    Insurance should also not dictate what treatments should happen and in what order.

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    I had neck surgery years ago and there was some legal action taken. I got a full report and on the report was 'Mucus Containment' ?????? I called the hospital to find out why I was charged 100 dollars for this. The lady said, "It was two boxes of Kleenex Tissues.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Doctors have almost as little control over treatments as the patients do. Insurance is out of control.
    The point being one can have total control or someone else pay for it, pick one, can’t have both.

This is the crux of the problem, the system was built playing pass the buck…

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    Emergency medicine is falling apart. Nurses don't want to do it. They're going to surgery centers and other 9-5 M-F jobs or just quitting nursing altogether. A local hospital has 35% of it's positions filled by employed ER nurses, the rest are travelers. It will not improve for years, if it ever does.

Do you think the traveling nurse ratio is going to flip any time soon? My mother was a nurse for 30 years, and she thinks things are ridiculous. I have a close family friend whose daughter is a traveler, and she is living large right now. She will also be the first to scream about student loan forgiveness, too.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Waiting room times have sucked lately. Two weeks ago our main campus was holding 35 inpatients in the ER, taking over half our beds. So we were supposed to see as many ER patients in a day with half as many beds. MV usually isn't as bad but times do stack up if beds are full. We will get anyone back immediately if the triage nurse feels you need immediate treatment. We'll code you in the hallway (it happens).

I got a drop of sodium hydroxide 50% aka lye in my eye one time at work. Worst pain I've ever felt. Needless to say it took them 20 minutes to get someone to drive me. Looked in the mirror and there was just a white piece of flesh hanging over my eye. But when I got to the ER I went to check in, the nurse didn't even look at me really and just handed me a clipboard. I start to fill it out and she asks me why I'm there, and I tell her I got caustic in my eye. She asks "plastic"? I say no caustic sodium hydroxide. She looks up at me, looks at my eye, snatches the clipboard and says come on. I was in a bed in about 30 seconds, nurse there in about 30 seconds rinsing my eye, and maybe a minute after that the Dr was in the room. Yeah if they think it's necessary you go right in. There was maybe 30-40 people in the waiting room. And I'm talking people waiting to go in, not with someone there.

One question, what is MV?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I got a drop of sodium hydroxide 50% aka lye in my eye one time at work. Worst pain I've ever felt. Needless to say it took them 20 minutes to get someone to drive me. Looked in the mirror and there was just a white piece of flesh hanging over my eye. But when I got to the ER I went to check in, the nurse didn't even look at me really and just handed me a clipboard. I start to fill it out and she asks me why I'm there, and I tell her I got caustic in my eye. She asks "plastic"? I say no caustic sodium hydroxide. She looks up at me, looks at my eye, snatches the clipboard and says come on. I was in a bed in about 30 seconds, nurse there in about 30 seconds rinsing my eye, and maybe a minute after that the Dr was in the room. Yeah if they think it's necessary you go right in. There was maybe 30-40 people in the waiting room. And I'm talking people waiting to go in, not with someone there.

One question, what is MV?
    Yep, I walked in with a printout of my blood work. She asked when it was from, told her about 2hrs ago. She came around with a wheelchair, I said I can walk, she said sit down and shut up. In ICU hooked up to machines in short order

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Of course the hospitals don’t want to reveal pricing! It is because they are so far leveraged due to all the new hospitals and buildings they are constructing all over the place. Something has to pay the monthly “nut” on all these facilities and that something is you and me? Talk about price gouging. Hospitals lead the way. Don’t believe me? Next time you are in a hospital for a serious medical incident obtain and review a itemized bill from the hospital. Your head will spin out of control! Good luck.
    Even reviewing itemized bills for too long. Makes me ill to my stomach
    I have been disputing a $3500 bill that I have proof they billed me twice on. Round and round and round.
    The other day I get a bill for $90 and the statement says if I pay it the $3500 goes away. Now that was a very interesting conversation had over that ****.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    When every insurance employee is a qualified physician, then they can make health decisions.
    No, because they will still do it the cheapest way instead of the best way.

They new the risk they were taking when they got into the insurance game, screwing people to save more profits should be illegal.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Do you think the traveling nurse ratio is going to flip any time soon? My mother was a nurse for 30 years, and she thinks things are ridiculous. I have a close family friend whose daughter is a traveler, and she is living large right now. She will also be the first to scream about student loan forgiveness, too.
    I think it will dry up. Federal and state emergency dollars i think are gone and hospitals can't afford it.

Crazy incomes for these travelers. 20% of bedside nurses quit when COVID hit. Either left the industry, retired, or took non-clinical jobs The travelers are making 2-3X normal rates while my salary is down 15-20% since COVID hit. Staff nurses have been getting huge bonus incentives to work shifts. I mean, good for them, but their industry bailed and it is hurting patients, docs, and hospitals. Frustrating.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Yep, I walked in with a printout of my blood work. She asked when it was from, told her about 2hrs ago. She came around with a wheelchair, I said I can walk, she said sit down and shut up. In ICU hooked up to machines in short order
    I walked in with a good bit of blood running down my arm from a hole in my hand, I got in there pretty quick when she said why are you here and I held my arm up and said I seem to have sprung a leak…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No, because they will still do it the cheapest way instead of the best way.

They new the risk they were taking when they got into the insurance game, screwing people to save more profits should be illegal.
    :rolleyes:

I can't even take this serious, this may be your weakest yet.
    When every insurance employee is a qualified physician, then they can make health decisions.
    It is really simple, pay for your own healthcare. Then no one can tell you what to do. Until then, others are going to tell you what you get…

Top Bottom