• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ridetoslide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Well, I'm really needing to vent about my press. I bought a brand new Hornady lock n load back in the fall. I have made about 50 rounds in that time. It has broke twice on me so some of the time I was waiting on parts, some of the time I was waiting on time to find my way to the press. Today I set a few hours aside to play. After ALOT, I mean ALOT of tinkering with it, I'm convinced my press is screwed up. I previously had to replace a pawl that turns the index wheel. The index wheel under the ram broke next. I see a huge weakness in the design in this 'throwing star" shaped wheel. There is a slot milled into it that drives the shell plate on top of the ram. That slot is very thin and I see this as a big weakness. After much adjustment, the shell plate needs a little help by hand to rotate just a hair more, always at the same place. That to me means that the little holes under the shell plate for the balls to line up are off slightly in one spot. I'm going to write Hornady and see what they want to do. But right now, I'm not happy!

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    That stinks, I have loaded ~15,000 rounds with mine and not a single issue. Hornady will fix it or send you a new one, don't fret.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I've heard that if something is going to wear out or break, its the pawls. I'v never heard of an index wheel breaking. Def. call Hornady. Their CS has always been right up there with Dillon and RCBS in my experience. I've done probably 10,000 rounds and just now had to make a very minor adjustment on a pawl. It happened when I had done tons of 9mm and .223 then a buddy asked me to size his 30-06 cases!!! Wow does it take a lot of pressure. After a minor adjustment of the pawl it locks back up like it should, but I'm very happy with the press.

Sorry about your issues, but don't give up yet!

ridetoslide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    hornady press

Thanks for the encouragement. I sent them a email describing the issue. I bought this brand spanking new too. Read the manual front to back and it said, pawls should not have to be messed with as they are set from the factory. Well, guess mine wasn't as first time I got all the stations dies set uo a pawl broke. Then after replacing that, the wheel that the pawls turn broke! That wheel should have had splines cut into the I.D. of it along with the the male that it slides onto. The cut a slot into that wheel and the remaining stock is VERY thin. I don't like those pawls at all. If I would have known that when I was looking, I would have went with something else. Not sure what Dillon uses but can't be worse! Oh well, I just want it to work reliably!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have had to adjust mine a couple of times after many,many rounds. Never had a part break on mine. The only thing I ever really have to worry with is the retaining spring on the shell plate.

FWIW that LNL AP is the smoothest press on the market bar none. No jerking around spilling powder like my Dillion machines and super consistent powder charges unlike my Dillion machine. I cranked out 600 hassle free 5.56 rounds last night in short order with my LNL AP/case feeder.

Top Bottom