• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Got the truck tuned up and new shoes on it, however it needs a spring assembly for the horn. It was $700.

Got great deal on tune up and tires but this seems (don't know) excessive when I look on-line.

Any other ways to get this fixed? Don't like riding dirty even if I never use the horn.

TIA.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There are more than a few vehicles with recalls on clock springs. Assuming you may have already looked it up, but thought I'd suggest looking for a recall on your specific vehicle before you out of pocket for it.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I feel your pain...
    Horn aside,the repair for your truck is a DIY. Not that difficult. Plan an hour or so. Also disconnect your battery anytime you are dealing with an airbag(as in this case)and wait(time varies by airbag)for the capacitors to discharge. il_fullxfull.4065734571_ocp6.jpg

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Should you decide to attempt replacing the clock spring yourself, please take this advice.
    1- disconnect the battery
    2- once the battery is disconnected, let the truck sit for about 20 minutes to let everything de-energize. This will keep you from accidentally setting off an air bag in your face.
    3- be gentle with the tiny connectors. They can be fragile
    Also some steering wheel air bags can be a real PITA to remove. So look up how to do it first. They can be frustrating

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Got the truck tuned up and new shoes on it, however it needs a spring assembly for the horn. It was $700.

Got great deal on tune up and tires but this seems (don't know) excessive when I look on-line.

Any other ways to get this fixed? Don't like riding dirty even if I never use the horn.

TIA.
    Air Horn perhaps?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

TIA.
    How ghetto do you want to go?

There are plenty of buttons and wire down at the Autozone. Run a wire from the positive battery into the cabin (through a present, grommeted hole) to one side of the button. Run the wife from the other side of the button back through the same hole to the horn, connect to one side of the horn. If the horn is grounded by being bolted to the chassis, job done. If the horn is grounded through a wire....you are still done.

If you want to be bougie, throw a fuse in the hot side of the circuit. Or if you want to go super la-de-frickin da, use a relay.

Me, I would dig into the steering column, but I have a serious case of mechanical hubris.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Stick your head out of the window and yell "BEEP, BEEP"!??

Actually, that is a pretty simple repair, and if you can build the AR's you show, you can do this.
    Thunderchicken is correct.
    I could give you a hand, if you were closer.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Top Bottom