• ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    WTF? Maybe a male role model would help him identify.:rockwoot:

Perhaps, but it seems like his problems go a lot deeper than that.

Terrible situation to be in as a parent. You hate to see your kids in pain, and always want to do what is best for them, but in this case I can't find an upside anywhere. It's just got fail written all over it.

If my son or daughter ever decided to switch genders, I think it would feel like I lost them.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    What do you mean deeper?

2 moms that probably hate men, all he knows is that he is different. :dunno:

His gender confusion may be the result of factors as well. I'm not saying you're wrong, but there are times where gender confusion is the result of other trauma or lack of stability in life.

For instance, I believe this boy is adopted. Much of how we identify ourselves comes from how we identify our parents. Without a strong sense of self, other issues and behaviors, such as gender confusion, can manifest themselves.

It can also be that this is his attempt to control who he is.

Another example, although unrelated, is "why are some girls slutty?" Could be that they just enjoy sex. That's the obvious answer. Could also be that they have low self esteem as a result of not being given enough validation by a positive male role model, and getting men to sleep with them or being desirable, is a way to fulfill that need for validation.

etc etc.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Nothing to see here, it's allllllll just perfectly normal and should be tolerated. If you feel differently, you're obviously a homophobe.

That, folks, is child abuse. Pure and simple.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Ugg. Im all for letting people be who they want, but 11 is just to young to make that call.

This transgender group confuses me, and the fact they are growing in number disturbs me. Don't get me wrong, if you want to swap genders ill support you in it, but I would assume the numbers would be constant. Growing numbers implies something else is at play here.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I know a young man who was not born male. Until she began hitting puberty, she was a very "girly girl", but then, she started acting out and after a time, it came out that she felt more like a he. At about 12, this youngster was wearing a masculine haircut and dressing as much so as possible. When s/he reached the age of majority, mom took her to a doc who would do a full mastectomy, the beginning of his physical transition.

Prior to this process, there were many problems, both behavioral and scholastic, familial and emotional. Once he acknowledged who he was inside, those went away. It was not easy for his parents; mom told me that she could no longer have childhood photos of her children (twin daughters and a couple-year-younger brother) up in her home; she now has a daughter and two sons, not the reverse. He is now a successful critical care RN who IIUC plans on becoming a nurse practitioner. He is married to a young lady who is fully aware of all of his history; he is well-adjusted, and comfortable within himself. He is accepted by his entire family as the young man he is.

What I see from these parents in the story is that they've chosen, with the doctor's advice and agreement, not to give him feminizing hormones, but rather to simply prevent his body from "masculinizing" at this point in time; he's being kept physically a child. I see it as similar to when you're cooking a meal and you want everything to come out at the same time... You don't put the noodles that will take twenty minutes to cook on at the same time you put the turkey in the oven that will take three hours. Everything is still going to get cooked thoroughly, just not yet.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Except that it's not a frozen turkey someone bought from the grocery store. It's a human being who can not possible understand the gravity of the situation his "parents" have put him in.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    and is appropriate for a child who is unsure of his gender.

WTF? Maybe I'm just ignorant on the subject, but can't a kid just look a couple feet below their chin and be pretty sure of their gender? I can understand someone being unsure of their sexuality, but gender?:n00b:

That, folks, is child abuse. Pure and simple.

Without a doubt. An 11 year old child is NOT in a position to make that kind of decision and should be "protected from his/her self," if you will.

My son would be tickled pink if he could eat Skittles and root beer for dinner each and every night, while playing Lego Indiana Jones on the XBox, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Gender, sexuality, and sex are 3 different things.

Gender is masculine or feminine.

Sexuality is homo or hetero.

Sex is male or female.

You can be male in sex, female in gender, and homosexual.

Transgender attempt to reconcile their sex with their self perceived gender.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I think this is absurd.

11-year old boys don't naturally sit around thinking about what gender they want to be. I see this as a couple of chicks with daddy issues projecting their problems onto their son to bring them validation. And I think it's disgusting.

What's that!? A boy with two moms is having trouble with his male identity? Stop the ******* presses, we're gonna need Dr. Phil and a couple plastic surgeons in here to sort this one out.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    That family needs Psych help ASAP. I wonder what he has witnessed or been told at home from his parents? Normal? Not hardly. This kid is way too young to make that kind of decision. Years ago a woman under the age of 21 could not even get their tubes tied unless they already had a few kids. I feel this is a disturbing set back in the medical
    profession for any doctor to allow the parents to administer any type of gender altering drug to this 11 yr old.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    That family needs Psych help ASAP. I wonder what he has witnessed or been told at home from his parents? Normal? Not hardly. This kid is way too young to make that kind of decision. Years ago a woman under the age of 21 could not even get their tubes tied unless they already had a few kids.

That article made mention that the family has been in therapy for the better part of 6 years. :dunno:

This is the decision they came to after YEARS of deliberation with the help of a trained professional.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Kid is raised by two lesbians and he has penis-hate and gender identity disorders. Go figure. They should have chosen any one of the millions of kids who have this in intact traditional families as the poster-child. Oh wait... I see the problem.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    That article made mention that the family has been in therapy for the better part of 6 years. :dunno:

This is the decision they came to after YEARS of deliberation with the help of a trained professional.

If this trained professional thinks they should screw with an 11 year-old's development because mommy and mommy are a mess, then it's time for a new trained professional.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't think it's proper to assume that the gender issues stem from the lesbian parents.

It's the obvious cause, and certainly could be a contributing factor, but the article makes mention that the women tried to promote a masculine identity by telling him he was a boy and not a girl. The child also seems to have developmental issues, which may be a contributing factor.

Most gender issues are the result of internal struggle, and less the result of external influence.

If I surrounded you with man hating lesbians would you turn into a woman? No, of course not. Just like if I surrouned you with gay men, would you turn gay? Not likely.

You can't teach a kid to be transgender or homosexual. Not easily anyway. That kind of stuff is the result of deeper issues, or just a part of that person.

Not everyone is made the same way.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If this trained professional thinks they should screw with an 11 year-old's development because mommy and mommy are a mess, then it's time for a new trained professional.

Yes, I agree that they should seek alternate opinions, but that doesn't mean the diagnosis would be different.

We also don't know how many therapists they've gone through.

Top Bottom