• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Snoring is not necessarily a sign of sleep apnea. The problem with sleep apnea is that you stop breathing. Stopping berathing can be hazardous to your health, or so I've been told.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Well, snoring can make your lungs work harder, make your heart work harder, lead to pulmonary hypertension and right heart failure.

it's a continuum of problems

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    P. S. Yes I'm a fat f***, which I know is a contributing factor to my obstructive apnea. With that said, cpap changed my life and without it, there's no way I'd have the energy needed to work on my fat-f***ery.

There are also people many who have OSA without any weight issues, and there's also central apnea which can affect anyone.

My dad weighs under 120 lbs. He has OSA worse than mine, but refuses to do anything about it.

Doc has a pool and his own Brazilian. He'll be fine.

That's good work if you can get it.

Well, snoring can make your lungs work harder, make your heart work harder, lead to pulmonary hypertension and right heart failure.

it's a continuum of problems

Plus, almost everyone who does have sleep apnea does snore pretty badly.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    With you making light of apnea, and someone else mocking his disfiguring romaine injury, we will be lucky if doc sticks around. I can't believe the insensitivities around here lately. I'm going to my safe space.

How are you going to do that? Isn't your safe already there? Are you going to get inside of it? How many guns are you going to have to throw out in order to get in? If you decide you really like it in there, can I have the guns you throw out?

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I'm supposed to do this soon, You guys are making me think I need to push for the at home study. I feel like there is no way I will be able to sleep in a room hooked up like a cyborg while someone watches me all night...

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I did the two night study a few years ago. It wasn't that bad. After getting all the wires hooked up (which involved a creamy whitish adhesive that makes it look like I was covered with ummm, "shame "), the tech told me to go about my normal bedtime routine. So I laid quietly for about 10 minutes, which is the time it takes my wife to fall asleep. I then rolled to the edge of the bed, had a "self-massage ", and cried myself to sleep.

Actually, it wasn't that bad. Didn't have terrible apnea, but I do have episodes of shallow breathing that bring my oxygen levels down. The nose-and-mouth mask works better for me due to extreme sinus and allergy issues. I go through phases of using my machine or not, but the hassle of it usually outweighs the feeling sleepy and irritable all day.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I sometimes wake because the pressure has risen to the point I have shallow exhalation. the first month I would wake up with panic attacks when this would happen. The second month only once or twice. Now I Just wake up and turn down the machine.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm supposed to do this soon, You guys are making me think I need to push for the at home study. I feel like there is no way I will be able to sleep in a room hooked up like a cyborg while someone watches me all night...

it's via remote camera with an IR floodlight. It basically looks like a small hotel room. The "watching" is not someone in the room

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I sometimes wake because the pressure has risen to the point I have shallow exhalation. the first month I would wake up with panic attacks when this would happen. The second month only once or twice. Now I Just wake up and turn down the machine.

What kind of machine do you have? Mines all techy and backs off the pressure when you exhale and raises it when you inhale. I can adjust the ramp, but the cpap level is set by the doc.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Mine self adjusts it is a philips. It will ramp back down but I gusee I must stop breathing alot.

I have a friend who had the back of his throat lasered out. Don't ask me about it because I didn't ask. Yuck!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What kind of machine do you have? Mines all techy and backs off the pressure when you exhale and raises it when you inhale. I can adjust the ramp, but the cpap level is set by the doc.

Mines the same. I think mine is either Respironics or ResMed.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have a friend who had the back of his throat lasered out. Don't ask me about it because I didn't ask. Yuck!
    I've seen that. It's creepy.

"Laser Assisted Uvulopalatoplasty"

laup1.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Mine self adjusts it is a philips. It will ramp back down but I gusee I must stop breathing alot.

I've seen that. It's creepy.

"Laser Assisted Uvulopalatoplasty"

laup1.jpg

I know a few people who have had that and similar procedures. None of them were happy with the results.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    My sleep study a few years ago was no big deal. They let me schedule it so it was at my normal bedtime. It was like a nice hotel room.

They did offer sleep inducing drugs if I had trouble sleeping.

I have the Resmed pictured above, it took some trial and error with different masks, but when I got that worked out, it made a world of difference in the way I feel. I used to spend 10 hrs or so in bed, and felt like I had been up all night the next morning. No more. 8 hrs or so now and feel good.

Probably should have had a Cpap 10 years prior to when I did.

I stopped breathing like 93 times per hour, and oxygen level was below 75% at times.

By the way, you can purchase replacement supplies on Amazon for a fraction of what the local medical supply will want.

Top Bottom