• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I'm going to start casting in the next year so I want to build a home made bullet trap. I'm looking for some ideas. I've read countless www posts on this subject and compiled a list of ideas I'd like to incorporate. Looking for comments or suggestions on my ideas. My 2 criteria are that it's cheap, and able to be lifted into a truck by 1 guy.

Frame: 2x and ply approx 2 feet square

Target face: mud flap from truck with another one 2 inches behind it. This will allow changing them out without losing the fill. Nothing between the 2 flaps as fill.

Fill:rubber mulch

Will be on casters. Only handgun calibers being used.

What are your thoughts ingo? My only concern is the mud flap being too thick. Thoughts? Anyone see obvious faults? Anyone make one of these?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I can assure you that the mud flap won't be too thick. I built a trap with four horse mats in front of plate steel and 22 goes right through them and hits the steel every time.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I had Bobcat custom make one of my design for me out of AR500 that funnels the lead into a collector, but my latest one is simply a wooden box with sand. The first one of those I built I liked so well I am going to build another to refine the idea. Bullets come out of it almost able to load and shoot again so I don't lose lead from fragmentation as I do with the Bobcat trap. I just put cardboard up to attach my targets.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I had Bobcat custom make one of my design for me out of AR500 that funnels the lead into a collector, but my latest one is simply a wooden box with sand. The first one of those I built I liked so well I am going to build another to refine the idea. Bullets come out of it almost able to load and shoot again so I don't lose lead from fragmentation as I do with the Bobcat trap. I just put cardboard up to attach my targets.

Sell the Bobcat trap to the OP.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Amazon.com : Do-All Outdoors .22/.17 Bullet Box : Hunting Targets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Copy this design using plywood....except make the base tall enough to hold your mulch or sand. For the backstop, mount 2 pieces of angle stock at a good "spatter redirecting" angle on the inner portion of the side supports. Have Kimball cut you a piece of AR500 that you can then let the angle stock support. Being able to take the heavy steel out will make moving it a lot easier. An added bonus is you now have a virtually indestructable plate that you can hang in many other ways....regular target stand...gong style for rifles...etc.

FYI, Bobcat can cut mounting holes to your needs...3 square holes along the top edge will give you all the mounting options you'll need.

Last edited:

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    Amazon.com : Do-All Outdoors .22/.17 Bullet Box : Hunting Targets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Copy this design using plywood....except make the base tall enough to hold your mulch or sand. For the backstop, mount 2 pieces of angle stock at a good "spatter redirecting" angle on the inner portion of the side supports. Have Kimball cut you a piece of AR500 that you can then let the angle stock support. Being able to take the heavy steel out will make moving it a lot easier. An added bonus is you now have a virtually indestructable plate that you can hang in many other ways....regular target stand...gong style for rifles...etc.

FYI, Bobcat can cut mounting holes to your needs...3 square holes along the top edge will give you all the mounting options you'll need.[/Q

I like your idea using the steel insert, but can it be made strong enough for .38, .40, .45?

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    From what I've read, good quality AR500 steel in 3/8" thickness is pretty much a "buy it once" purchase if you only throw handgun loads at it.

sbrville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Rush Co
    [video=youtube;c874sGw_SJA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=c874sGw_SJA[/video] this is one a buddy made for me to try. We saw the idea on YouTube. Works great and will make one out of ar500 now. The metal plates are welded into a slot in a 5" heavy pipe

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm going to start casting in the next year so I want to build a home made bullet trap. I'm looking for some ideas. I've read countless www posts on this subject and compiled a list of ideas I'd like to incorporate. Looking for comments or suggestions on my ideas. My 2 criteria are that it's cheap, and able to be lifted into a truck by 1 guy.

Frame: 2x and ply approx 2 feet square

Target face: mud flap from truck with another one 2 inches behind it. This will allow changing them out without losing the fill. Nothing between the 2 flaps as fill.

Fill:rubber mulch

Will be on casters. Only handgun calibers being used.

What are your thoughts ingo? My only concern is the mud flap being too thick. Thoughts? Anyone see obvious faults? Anyone make one of these?
    If you have about 8" of crumb rubber, you won't need the 2nd mud flap. You may want to consider old conveyor belting instead of the mud flap, if you can find a source. Your crumb rubber will lay at about a 30 degree angle, but will settle. A good option would be to have a "hopper" filled with crumb rubber on the top so as it settles in the trap, it is automatically replenished as you shoot. As for portability, it gets heavier and heavier, the more you shoot.

tmater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Some people use a 55 gal plastic barrel full of crumb rubber and laid over on its side. Tape lid on and attach targets to lid

Top Bottom