• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Considering that an invader can cover 15'/sec, we will have little time for planning on the fly. We should all rehearse our perspective plans so that we react immediately and decisively. Keep those doors locked and do not forget the long screws in the hinges and strikers of the exterior doors, just might buy you some more time...

I never thought much about the longer hinge screws, repped.

Sonsofthunder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Grimm and the others encouraging you to consider the possible reality of your dream are absolutely correct. Read up on documented forced entries, armed robberies, in-home rapes and murders, and you will find that many, if not all could have been drastically changed if there was preparation ahead of time. Saying "what are the chances...I live in a nice neighborhood...I don't want to give into fear, so I'm not gonna be 'that guy' who is paranoid.
    I have realized over time that I sometimes am at home without a gun on me - getting out of the shower, laying on the couch in my boxers. We have a neighbor who has some annoying and questionable company over at times, and walk right past our entry to get by. I hear stuff on the news almost everyday about horrible things happening to good people, in areas I've been several times. I say these things to make this point. It doesn't make me paranoid. It does, however, give me a serious righteous indignation against the wickedness that floods our communities and often gets a slap on the wrist. I choose to not be a victim.
    To the OP, if you have a few guns, always have one within several feet. I'm
    blown away by people I know who have a boatload of firearms, locked in a massive safe. Good luck with that. And ive heard "well, I want to protect my family, but I have a 5 yr old, so I keep a lock on my gun, on the top shelf of my closet." God forbid you ever hear someone come through a window. You're better off praying as you grab your locked gun and throw it at the intruder. And you can lock your family in the safe with the guns...they'd be much safer there. My first shotgun was bought for me when I was 2. Sure, I wasn't allowed to play with it for a while. My brothers and I were never allowed to "play" with any guns. But I still grew up knowing exactly where my dads rifles, and pistols were. I took a friend to a gun show to buy his first home defense firearm, and I was livid at seeing how his kids did NOT listen to either parents after being told multiple times to not grab handguns off the freaking sales
    table! Teach your kids to honor and respect you as parents, and they will more than likely respect a weapon, if you teach them so.
    Sorry if that seemed like a bit of a tangent, but all the things I've heard surrounding this subject prove that we are definitely not evolving as a species. Pray, plan, practice. Period.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Umm I think you need to add a cell phone to HD plan. Pick a spot you can defend, stay put and dial 911. Remember never block the exit, most bad guys run when the first shot is fired or they know the cops are on the way.

This sounds like the best advice... remember, the goal isn't to seek and destroy all the bad guys in your house. Its for you and your family to survive at all costs.

Your gun should be the barrier between your family and the bad guys. Once you achieve that... you've won. The cops can deal with the rest.

SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    This sounds like the best advice... remember, the goal isn't to seek and destroy all the bad guys in your house. Its for you and your family to survive at all costs.

Your gun should be the barrier between your family and the bad guys. Once you achieve that... you've won. The cops can deal with the rest.

+1

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Preparations are a must. Were you guys never scouts? (Be prepared)
    One more suggestion however. I can't believe there are 5 pages of responses and not one mention of K-9 help!

If you'd like to give yourself a helping hand, and a little extra time, get a dog. Get TWO dogs!

The proper K-9 in the mix will draw attention away from you and your family. It serves as an early warning system, and will give you precious seconds you may not otherwise have available.

I have 3 dogs that run my property. They have run of the house and yard via a dog door. The smallest one is about 25lbs, but she is one quick and ferocious little ***** when she gets mad. Biggest is a yellow lab that tips the scales at 135lbs! He's not mean, but strangers don't know that, and he IS very vocal. The third is a pup from my other two. She lands between mom & dad in size, weight, and attitude.

I would guess I can get at LEAST 30 seconds or more before any intruders attention would fall on me.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Of course you're a long time marksman. Despite your being new to pistols, it's clear that you are a long time marksman.

That said, the OP and the thread is not about firearms.
    You're right Josey-NO intent to Jack Thread.
    Let's refocus. Concrete ideas for home defense that I got from this thread:

1. Do not attempt to clear the house. Could anyone elaborate on this or perhaps point me to a useful website? I may post in the Tactics and Training subforum. I've noticed courses in clearing buildings tend to be restricted to the police & the military.

2. Carry even in the home. When you need it, you may not have time to get it.

3. Have a cell phone on you.

To me, and probably to many other people. (2) and (3) pose similar problems. I don't always know where my cell phone is, and currently I don't make it a habit to have my phone with me all the time. I will have to reconsider this. For people with my concerns, this is a matter of everyday convenience vs. emergency preparedness, and though it's important, I don't think discussion is worth the bad vibes unless civility can be maintained.
    For me #2+#3 ALWAYS..
    From a home defense perspective, developing a habit of having a firearm on you is more important than having a cell phone.

Assuming one can find the time and privacy to place a call in an emergency situation, one must wait for a response. Once a response arrives, one must wait for responders to react. Then, one must hope the reaction of the responders is successful.

You are responsible for the protection of your loved ones, your self and your property. In a home invasion situation, you and your family are the first responders.

Contemplate what that means and practice accordingly.

The reality is that 911 is a clean up call.
    Not sure it was 911 or the general state of the US moral decay.
    1. So many people out of work=Low/No $.
    2.These said people (more+more of them) have the mind set that if they do not have==they will steal from someone else.
    3.What used to be the attitude only seen in natural disasters (Floods/Hurricanes/Earth Quakes, etc) of SOME scum bags, are the everyday actions of some people.
    In other words--I don't have something-You do-so I'm going to take from you no matter what the cost, in $ or lives.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    One more suggestion however. I can't believe there are 5 pages of responses and not one mention of K-9 help!

If you'd like to give yourself a helping hand, and a little extra time, get a dog. Get TWO dogs!

The proper K-9 in the mix will draw attention away from you and your family. It serves as an early warning system, and will give you precious seconds you may not otherwise have available.

I have 3 dogs that run my property. They have run of the house and yard via a dog door. The smallest one is about 25lbs, but she is one quick and ferocious little ***** when she gets mad. Biggest is a yellow lab that tips the scales at 135lbs! He's not mean, but strangers don't know that, and he IS very vocal. The third is a pup from my other two. She lands between mom & dad in size, weight, and attitude.

I would guess I can get at LEAST 30 seconds or more before any intruders attention would fall on me.

:):
    Haha....."fairytale thread"....OP needs ta dream other dreams,haha....geeeezz......:laugh:
    (kind'a like hope'n it'll happen,huh?...)

With that....I got'a go with this post.....I'm back off the road...aways....and I got 8 dogs here...and I'm tell'n ya,a fly can't take a dump that they don't know 'bout it.....looonnnnggg before anybody gets down the drive,let alone the house....so yeah....DOG(s) ! :rockwoot:

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    Just last night I was disassembling the slide on my glock23, mostly showing my brother how easy it is and the small number of parts. Anyway the spring and rod that pushes on the extractor had fallen out and into one of my shoes that was sitting on the floor (preventing me from finding it right away). Well I didn't want to look for it while he was visiting so in the mean time you'd better believe I had my revolver on my side.... Of course I found the missing part 15 mins after he left (would have been sooner if I'd thought to look in the shoe) and all was well, but I can't imagine not having at least -something- on me at ALL times.

As someone who recently started carrying it's a little weird to have such a radical change in mindset, but I just don't feel comfortable without having a gun on me now. I even think back to all the years I had my snubbie in the rail of my bed, what the hell was I planning on doing if I needed it?! "Hang on Mr. Bad Guy, my means of protection is upstairs, brb." :rolleyes:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Mgderf's advice is also very good if you can have a dog where you live, want a dog and are able to care for it properly. Bad guys don't like dogs and will often pass on a place if they hear one barking.

As far as keeping a cell phone and gun on you at all times is good if you can and don't mind carry them around. Me, when I'm home I have a pistol,cell phone, flashlight and knife placed in a location that I can get too in seconds from anywhere in my house, (I need a bigger house) and when I go to bed I place them on the night stand. I have 2 cell phones, the 2nd one is in case I break, lose or forget to charge the batteries on my primary phone. The advantage is that the 2nd phone never leaves the house and is always next to a pistol. It also works well for giving out the number to people & companies that you may not want to hear from and for that purpose It works really well. For $10 bucks a month on my plan, I'm not bothered by people I don't want to hear from and get a little peace of mind.

The other thing you should do is look at your home as if you were going to break in. Try to see where there are weakness and fix them. It may be something as simple as trimming a bush and adding motion lights to illuminate the weak areas at night. If you own the home, good strong storm doors go a long way. The point I'm getting at is you don't need to make you home a fortress just less inviting than your neighbors so the bad guys go there. Speaking of neighbors, get to know them. Neighbors have a tendency to look out for one and other if they know each other.

A good HD plan is about preventing the random acts and preparing for the the targeted ones. In my case both apply, I work around criminals and do make a few more enemies than most so my plans try to account for both but I feel everybody should plan for both since it seems that it's too easy now a days to make someone mad over the slightest thing.

DaCash4GunsGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Imagine a friend that goes on a blind date, gets pistol whipped, car jacked, then talks them into bringing him to your door at 2a.m. to borrow some money!?

Been there, Done that!:rockwoot:

Last edited:

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    and my first statement wasnt the best one i agree i was just joking about the steel doors and windows just trying to break the ice i promise no more hack attempts at humor guys im just new to all this and talking with you guys has opened my eyes another 4 inches i know home invasion is no joke at all and i was wrong to try and make it one i apologize sincerely to all of you
    Welcome Jerry. Lots of folks walk around in a self-induced haze of rationalized safety. They have repeated the mantras, the police can protect me and my family, possessions etc, and until their bubble is burst I'm sure they are sincere in their belief. Everyone's environment is different and requires different levels of awareness. What can be tragic is when the level of awareness is not appropriate to the environment. Reality often doesn't intrude until it is already too late. Some people are lucky while for others they can lose their possessions and possibly their life. I leave it to the individual to determine what their appropriate level of preparation is. The saying "When seconds count, the police are minutes away." should be first and foremost in one's mind whatever your environment.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    +1 on having it on you.
    I'm no expert but I've heard more than several professional trainers say that clearing a house with one person is suicide. Even the spec. forces, mil.
    -
    It is NOT recommended, but nobody is psychic and so we DO train for having to clear alone so your men aren't totally LOST if the need arises

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    if you are living somewhere where you feel the need to carry walking around in your own home you are:

A. paranoid and insane, no need discussing that further

B. living in the wrong neighborhood, move already

C. dreaming :) wake up ****er

or

D. all of the above

OR....if you believe that a need WILL NOT arise to have the gun readily available while in your home you are

A. ignorant
    B. naive
    C. fall under the same misconception of life as all the anti-gunners out there

see how ridiculous and irrelevant that was.........I carry on me in my home, unless otherwise being comfortably dressed and have no need to go anywhere...but I still have various hidden, easily accessed weapons in most rooms for such occasions

having been a person put in places to defend a home a number of times, I know too well the value of having the quickest access to a weapon at all times

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Considering that an invader can cover 15'/sec, we will have little time for planning on the fly. We should all rehearse our perspective plans so that we react immediately and decisively. Keep those doors locked and do not forget the long screws in the hinges and strikers of the exterior doors, just might buy you some more time...

I would go further to suggest all metal entry door and door-jams......even with the long screws in the wood, the doors are surprisingly easy to kick open

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Let's refocus. Concrete ideas for home defense that I got from this thread:

1. Do not attempt to clear the house. Could anyone elaborate on this or perhaps point me to a useful website? I may post in the Tactics and Training subforum. I've noticed courses in clearing buildings tend to be restricted to the police & the military.

2. Carry even in the home. When you need it, you may not have time to get it.

3. Have a cell phone on you.

To me, and probably to many other people. (2) and (3) pose similar problems. I don't always know where my cell phone is, and currently I don't make it a habit to have my phone with me all the time. I will have to reconsider this. For people with my concerns, this is a matter of everyday convenience vs. emergency preparedness, and though it's important, I don't think discussion is worth the bad vibes unless civility can be maintained.

2 and 3 undoubtedly are true....they are your life line...without them, your chances of survival are diminished to almost nothing...

there are no instructors locally, or online source that I'm aware of that will assist you with the potential threat of clearing your home.....it is not recommended and does increase your own risk and so instructors largely do now want to assume the liability of presenting skills to you which could end up placing you in a body bag........they are however valuable "what-if" skills and there are some who are willing to instruct you in the ideals necessary to survive such a situation and/or help you create an action plan for survival in your home

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Considering that an invader can cover 15'/sec,

this is a good piece of information to point out, while adequate training with a sidearm is necessary for personal protection...it is NOT a substitute for Force on Force training and hand to hand training.....most LEO's are fearful of knives for this exact reason......an average person can close a distance of about 20 ft faster than one can draw a firearm effectively.....my associate and I practice this quite often to formulate better methods of counter, and ultimately, hand to hand skills are going to be as important to you as proficiency with a firearm

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can get into my house but the noise required to do it will have me waiting for you. I have done a lot of home securing for friends that have been robbed and invaded. I make the door jambs secure to the stud work and either sleeve the dead bolt plunger or wrap the jamb in heavy galv. sheet and install an aluminum plate anchored to the stud work. This work and a steel door is not totally impenetrable but you better be ready for a work out. The windows are vulnerable but noisy as well. Most thieves have no tactical training except alluding police dogs. That said, you have the advantage of knowing your home and where to go in the dark. If I am home, Once inside, you will not leave under your own steam. No tolerance for fools, thieves or politicians.

Chance favors the prepared mind.......or something like that

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

:+1: on the dog.....I happen to prefer a certain protective breed ...they can be incredibly smart and protective....and with the proper training they will follow only one persons commands

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    who would have thought the reasonable laid back approach would be treated as a foreign idea on INGO? lol

if you guys (not all, you know that) all are "omg I can't imagine for a minute not having a gun on my person in my own home", what the heck do you do when you are in the middle of a massive crowd of strangers at a water park or similar where you can't even carry?

what are you doing then? getting all Chuck Norris on every guy who walks by your wife and kids as if he is about to harm your family for walking within 5 feet of them? how do you ever relax? when will you take time to enjoy life instead of being constantly on-guard?

The odds of getting into some sort of confrontation with one of the "hair trigger" type of attitudes displayed here is greater than some random guy attempting to walk in my house. Hell, the more time I spend here the more I want to carry all the time, just because of what some of the members post here, not because of the majority of society, which is the opposite reason I began to carry. It has really opened my eyes as to how many people out there are toting guns ready to draw for any little reason. It's like they are walking around looking for a reason to draw down instead of going about typical normal life.

There is a huge difference between being a proud gun owner and exercising your right to own and carry, and crossing that line into being entirely over reactive and living your life like you have to be prepared for Vietnam in your living room in 1.5 seconds flat.

I was honestly thinking these forums would be full of mostly level headed, reasonable people. There is absolutely nothing reasonable about having to have your gun on you 24/7/365 and having multiple guns scattered around the house unless you live somewhere where you are literally at risk of an armed attack at all times, in which case my initial reaction still stands, move.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom