• ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Gas at Costco was $3.19 same as before.

People go to see things to say “I was there”, to experience something different. Doesn’t make them bad people. As I rapidly approach the half century mark I can say I’ve been lucky to see and be a part of a lot of cool things that just don’t exist anymore.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Just war gaming. National Guard for an eclipse...what have we come to?!
    People couldn't even handle a little rain and thunderstorms under low traffic volume without driving like complete morons yesterday. Marines and Armor units might be a better choice than the NG given the volume of idiots expected for the eclipse.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I recall any crazy stuff in 2017. Went fine. I'm expecting a big nothing burger (other than the cool eclipse, of course if the weather cooperates).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There's so much more hype about this one. I don't know why, but the people are coming....or going seeing as how I don't leave in a area of totality. My son and his wife are coming from Grand Rapids for this and my wife and other son will be joining them to chase the dark. I will be working.

BeDome

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Actual quote I overheard from an adult yesterday, "But what if the sun doesn't come back on?" :ugh:
    Kind of reminds me of an Isaac Asimov story I read as a kid. "Nightfall"

On a planet with multiple suns, which never had darkness, EVER, until all the suns lined up every few thousand years. When this happened, the entire society went completely nuts and destroyed civilization.
    There were warnings, one group of scientists had even discovered evidence of this having happened many times in the past millennia. Everyone still lost it and burned everything just to get some light.

Old story (1940s?), but maybe applicable in some ways to a lot of the arm waving these days.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I have a relative that had a job in the IT industry leading up to Y2K. He spent two years traveling to corporations to insure that their computer systems wouldn't go down on New Years Day.

He made good money for what turned out to be a non-event. I'm proud of him. :)
    I had to run upgrades for Netware, NT and Solaris servers back then. Ended up a non event for the most part. Only our Oracle servers had a minor hiccup in the DB's regarding transaction timestamps.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    There's so much more hype about this one. I don't know why, but the people are coming....or going seeing as how I don't leave in an area of totality. My son and his wife are coming from Grand Rapids for this and my wife and other son will be joining them to chase the dark. I will be working.
    I believe it is because of the position of the two main bodies. The moon will be very close while the sun will be very far from earth. Making the overall effect a more complete covering of the sun. This was not the case in the last total E. At least that’s what I’ve read.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Kind of reminds me of an Isaac Asimaov story I read as a kid. "Nightfall"

On a planet with multiple suns, which never had darkness, EVER, until all the suns lined up every few thousand years, the entire society went completely nuts and destroyed civilization.
    There were warnings, one scientist had even discovered evidence of this happening many times in the past millennia. Everyone still lost it and burned everything just to get some light.

Old story (1940s), but maybe applicable in some ways to a lot of the arm waving these days.
    Gonna look this book up. Sounds good

Top Bottom