• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    This has certainly been discussed before, but I took the time to lay things out and group the various shootins based on whether people could/would carry handguns or not.

For this purpose I'm using "mass shooting" to mean any incident where 4 or more people are killed in a single event. This is what I could find. If I've missed any, let me know.

Incidents where shooter(s) knew that no law abiding citizens carried handguns:
    Date Location City State Number killed
    Aug 66 University of Texas Austin TX 15
    Oct 91 Luby's Cafeteria Killeen TX 23
    Arp 99 Columbine Littleton CO 12
    Mar 05 Red Lake high school Red Lake MN 7
    Jan 06 Post office Goleta CA 7
    Apr 07 Virginia Tech Blacksburg VA 33
    Dec 07 Shopping Mall Omaha NE 8
    Feb 08 Clothing store Chicago IL 5
    Feb 08 Northern Illinois U DeKalb IL 5
    Total killed: 115

Incidents where the shooter(s) had cause to believe that law abiding citizens carrying handguns was unlikely.
    Jul 83 Law office San Francisco CA 8
    Jul 84 McDonalds San Diego CA 21
    Feb 88 Laboratory Sunnyvale CA 7
    Dec 93 LIRR Long Island NY 6
    Mar 06 Party Seattle Wa 6
    Total killed: 48

Note: In both California and New York handgun permits are possible, but nearly impossible for "ordinary" folk to get, thus a criminal runs little risk of running into an armed citizen. Although Washington was a "Shall Issue" state at the time of this last shooting the shooter attended the party for 3 hours and could well have assessed the likelihood whether any of the other people were armed.

Incidents where the shooter(s) ran the risk of running into individuals carrying concealed handguns
    Feb 83 Wah Mee club Seattle WA 14
    Dec 07 Church Colorado Springs CO 4
    Total Killed: 18

Note that the Wah Mee Club involved three shooters and was an organized crime "hit." This may actually belong int he previous section (had cause to believe....) The Church shooting, it is important to note, was actually stopped by a person on the scene with a handgun.

Summary:
    No chance of armed citizens: 118 dead.
    Armed citizens highly unlikely: 48 dead
    Armed citizens more likely: 18 dead.

Looked at another way:
    Rights of citizens to have the tools to defend themselves severely restricted: 166 dead.
    Citizens able to have tools to defend themselves if they wish ("shall issue"): 18 dead

Conclusion: having armed citizens saves lives.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    To me, citing the Virginia Tech vs. the Appalachian Law School shootings says it all.

Actually, it doesn't say quite enough. Because the two guys that stopped the App. shootings had to go back to their cars to get their (IIRC) long guns before they could stop the lunatic. How many died because of their inability to carry pistols?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    REP'd :yesway:
    Nice compilation. Keep these numbers in the face of those who support victim zones.

Each number is a tragic loss.:xmad:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    +1 nice compilation. Unfortunately, it doesn't highlight ATTEMPTED mass shootings that were foiled, or kept below the 4 victim threashold because of someone on scene with a gun.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    There was an incident in December, 1991, a couple of months after the Luby's Cafeteria shooting in Killeen, TX in which Dr. Hupp lost her parents, at a Shoney's in Anniston, AL. It seems three gunmen entered the restaurant with the intention of robbing the place. They ordered all the customers and employees into the cooler in the back, though one man managed to hide so that he could escape and call police. On attempting to exit the restaurant, he triggered an alarm and a firefight began between him and one of the robbers, one of whom ran away. The customer was superficially wounded but he wounded one of the remaining robbers and killed the other. There were no other injuries in that restaurant that day as a result of the criminal attack.

In 1991, Texas did not recognize the right of lawful self-defense.
    Alabama regulated but did not prevent it's citizens from lawful self-defense.

In Texas, over twenty people died in a single incident as a result of a criminal's action.

In Alabama, one person died as a result of the criminal's action in this incident-and it was one of the criminals. No great loss.

Blessings,
    B

GMGCSWRET

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    if you go to ( infoplease.com) and use the search engine you will see that your info is about 20 pages short of the total list, last time I checked for school there was 8 pages on school shooting alone, just nice to know info (infoplease.com)

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am so thankful to my Lord Jesus that I was born when I was, where I was born and to whom I was born. My parents were both good German Christains, but I never thought of myself as German. I was an American.

When I was in school we still believed in God, Country, Mom and Apple Pie. Oh, and Chevolets.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Question: does anyone recall an incident in Florida where a guy tried to start a massacre like the others listed but was shot by two or three legal gun carriers almost as soon as he started?

I tried Googling, but I cannot find the details. I want to say it was in the late 80's or early 90's.

Top Bottom