• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    My wife bought a new KIA, Soul back in 2013, it now has 182657 miles on it and it's making a ticking noise inside the valve cover. It's a 1.6 litre GDI engine.

I took it to the local KIA dealership where she purchased it from to have them diagnose the problem and maybe get it fixed. But they wasted no time telling me that it needed a new engine.

There is a recall on this engine but she doesn't qualify for it because of the high mileage. So I asked them how much a new engine or remanufactured engine would cost to be installed and they told us that engines were not available because of the terrible problems that Kia was having with this engine.

So I called Jasper engine exchange to see how much a remanufactured engine would cost but they told me that there was none available because the engine wasn't worth rebuilding and besides that nobody wants to swap them if I had one.

The dealership won't even take it in trade on a new car they said they would just auction it off for a couple hundred dollars but they didn't want to give us anything for it. So, we have a car which is in very decent shape but it has a bad engine.

It is beginning to look like our only option is to just sell it off to a salvage yard and get what we can out of it but I really hate to do that because other than the engine the car is in good shape.

I've done this kind of work all my life. I've swapped engines in cars, trucks and rebuilt them from the ground up. I even worked on mining equipment but I'm just too old anymore to do that kind of work I haven't got the stamina for it and I'm looking for an alternative to just scraping it out.

The estimate if we could find a new or rebuilt engine for it is around 7 to $8,000 installed which is far more than what the cars worth, so what do we do with it?

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Ticking noise inside the valve cover. I know nothing about this engine, but could it have a broken valve spring? Could it have a push rod off of the rocker arm? Know a pretty good old style mechanic that would pull the valve cover and do a look see? What is the recall on this engine for? Anything up under the valve cover that might give you a clue?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Ticking noise inside the valve cover. I know nothing about this engine, but could it have a broken valve spring? Could it have a push rod off of the rocker arm? Know a pretty good old style mechanic that would pull the valve cover and do a look see? What is the recall on this engine for? Anything up under the valve cover that might give you a clue?
    Defective rod bearings for one.
    There is a cup over the valve stem/spring assembly that the cam pushes on and there is no adjustment, only changing the cups as I understand it.

I'm really not sure I want to tackle it if KIA doesn't want to.

Another thing, since the latest computer update the engine will shut down and you have to wait a few minutes before it will restart if it detects rod noise or something like that.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Defective rod bearings for one.
    There is a cup over the valve stem/spring assembly that the cam pushes on and there is no adjustment, only changing the cups as I understand it.

I'm really not sure I want to tackle it if KIA doesn't want to.

Another thing, since the latest computer update the engine will shut down and you have to wait a few minutes before it will restart if it detects rod noise or something like that.
    The GDI uses a high pressure fuel pump right next to the valve cover, those and the injectors can get very loud. I would try to make sure of where the tick is coming from. A mechanic stethoscope or the old screwdriver to the ear trick. The fuel pump is the silver canister at the back drivers side of the valve cover.

If it is from under the valve cover it could be a broken valve spring. Wouldn't take much to open it up and take a look. This is not the kind of work a dealership is looking for, try to find a reputable mechanic in the area.

It still has life left in it at that mileage if it has had good maintenance and the rust hasn't got it.

The knock sensor is what monitors for knocking from anything really.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Ill bet that somewhere on a forum there are owners of this engine discussing how they dealt with the problem. Id spend the next few hours doing web searches.
    I think I will.

Another thing I wonder why someone couldn't just drop the pan and put in a new bearing set, there's no major damage to the engine yet except the clicking noise whatever it is.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    The GDI uses a high pressure fuel pump right next to the valve cover, those and the injectors can get very loud. I would try to make sure of where the tick is coming from. A mechanic stethoscope or the old screwdriver to the ear trick.

If it is from under the valve cover it could be a broken valve spring. Wouldn't take much to open it up and take a look. This is not the kind of work a dealership is looking for, try to find a reputable mechanic in the area.

It still has life left in it at that mileage if it has had good maintenance and the rust hasn't got it.

The knock sensor is what monitors for knocking from anything really.
    No rust at all and it does run great.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think I will.

Another thing I wonder why someone couldn't just drop the pan and put in a new bearing set, there's no major damage to the engine yet except the clicking noise whatever it is.
    I don't think of main bearing noise as a clicking in the upper engine sound. Would you describe it as a lifter tick sound or louder and harder sounding?

Is the engine shutting down?

Someone could probably roll in a new set of bearings if it is the main bearings

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    As long as you have oil pressure and the noise doesn't get louder, I second the idea to find a good local mechanic. I like to check Google reviews, sorted by newest first, to get a good idea of who to go to. I wouldn't put it out to pasture just yet!

Top Bottom