Here's why cops harrass the innocents....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I got this in an email... if it's old stuff, sorry you wasted yer time reading it.

A THOROUGH EXPLANATION OF POLICE HARASSMENT.

Recently, the Chula Vista, CA Police Department ran an e-mail forum (a question and answer exchange) with the topic being, "Community Policing." One of the civilian email participants posed the following question, "I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"

From the "other side" (the law enforcement side) Sgt. Bennett, obviously a cop
    with a sense of humor, replied:

"First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In Chula Vista, we average one cop for every 600 people. Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "patrol") where we do most of our harassing.

The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents. And at any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% of patrollers are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty. So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 5,000 residents.

When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.

Now, your average ten-hour shift runs 36,000 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND then find a new person to harass. This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring. What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.

The tools available to us are as follows:

PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment. "My neighbor is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment.

Another popular one is, "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licenses and the like. It’s lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light. Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.

RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a beagle on the scent of a bunny. When you catch them you can harass them for hours.

STATUTES: When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes"; Criminal Codes, Motor Vehicle Codes, etc. They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people.

After you read the statute, you can just drive around for awhile until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them. Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy. It is a really cool system that we have set up, and it works pretty well.

We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they pay us to "harass" some people.

Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave." That's another one of those codes. It means, “Please harass me.”

It's one of our favorites.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    While it was meant to be tongue in cheek, I wasn't amused. This perception is very real in a lot of people's mind. The choice to use sarcasm does nothing but enforce that perception.

Fail.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I wasn't amused either. We know they have to respond to calls, and yes some citizens are d-bags, but to assert that no handling's by police are harassing in nature is completely wrong.

I support police, but sometimes they go off the range too.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I enjoyed it, and whether anyone else did or not, seems to be a personal problem. Deal with it.... Kleenex may be found in the paper goods section of most any WalMart. Unfortunately, maturity isn't sold in stores.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    That's good

I enjoyed it, and whether anyone else did or not, seems to be a personal problem. Deal with it.... Kleenex may be found in the paper goods section of most any WalMart. Unfortunately, maturity isn't sold in stores.

And there you have it! Well said.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    if you don't find that even a little amusing, you need to seriously lighten up and get over it. funny stuff.

Sure, it's amusing...as long as the reality of the situation isn't taken into consideration.

We have a problem with police harrassment of people or police over-reaction to otherwise minor transgressions, as evidenced by the MANY stories not only here but in MANY stories from MANY different locales & sources.

Thinking that this is funny under those circumstances is like thinking it's funny that the president of the United States said that "I wouldn't mind living in a dictatorship, as long as I got to be the dictator" or telling some "amusing" story when asked why the KKK got away with lynching black people in the south during the late 19th and early 20th century.

I'm sure the lynchers & their supporters would have just gotten a HUGE hoot out of that story. Others who see the problem for what it really is are simply disgusted.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I like it when cops hang around. They smell deliciously of donuts and froo froo coffee. And sometimes Hoppes.
    Yesterday, I flicked a cop on the nose. He did not harass me. (It generally goes the other way around).

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's funny in an ironic sense, but humor almost always derives from some kind of misery or injustice; perhaps hypothetical, but always someone else's, of course. This cop sounds like one of the good ones, but kind of deflects the serious concern of one of the citizens.

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    I thought that it was funny in a sarcastic sort of way from the officers point of view. How ever i think it important that while the officer was trying to lighten the mood, he should have also remembered that there are those out there that would and will take what he said as fact.

If you can see through the humor and to the facts that he was stating then you realize that while police officers are willing to put their lives on the line to defend the public from those that wish them harm. They still have a hard and difficult job to do. Most people that have never served in this type of job wither it be the law enforcement side or that of serving in the armed forces can't fully realize the stress involved.

Another thing to keep in mind as well is that all police are people too, they will have their good days on the job, where they have a stress free day with everyone they encounter in nice and polite. they will also have their bad days where nothing goes right and they woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Top Bottom