• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    While I agree with most of what he said, it would never happen. We really do need to hold our congress critters accountable and keep firing them when they take liberties with what we sent them there to do. Term limits would go a long way to solving this problem. Entitlement reform and fiscal responsability and less government need to be our goals!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I like the North Dakota prescription for the unemployed. Plenty of 'em here in Lafayette would jump at the chance if the .gov bought the bus ticket.

Whoops, forgot the purple on that last bit.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    While I agree with most of what he said, it would never happen. We really do need to hold our congress critters accountable and keep firing them when they take liberties with what we sent them there to do. Term limits would go a long way to solving this problem. Entitlement reform and fiscal responsability and less government need to be our goals!

I didn't like the silly cabinet positions early in the video...c'mon. I don't think the green energy issue is quite so simple as "drill more". At some point that will be useless.... The rest is a great.

I like the North Dakota prescription for the unemployed. Plenty of 'em here in Lafayette would jump at the chance if the .gov bought the bus ticket.

Whoops, forgot the purple on that last bit.

I'll take these in order:

I don't think term limits are necessarily the way to ensure a more responsive Congressional representation, or rather, I don't think even if we replaced every elected Congressional representative every election because we would then strengthen the power of the unelected bureaucracy which makes many of the objectionable decisions that overgovern us. I think we need to drastically downsize the federal bureaucracy and their power to create rules and regulations that potentially rob us of our liberty and violate constitutional authority granted to the Executive Branch of the federal government. Once we have that under control, term limits on elected officials might deserve a second look. Of course, we MIGHT achieve similar results by eliminating some of the advantages incumbency grants elected representatives.

While Wild Bill's "silly cabinet positions" were - I thought - tongue-in-cheek, I think at least a couple of them have some validity - at least the ideas behind them. I'd like to see a mechanism in place to review current statutes for "effectiveness" - as opposed to "constitutionality" - and lobby for the repeal of laws which don't deliver what they promise ("crime prevention" laws that haven't "prevented" crimes come to mind).

I'd also like to see some independent mechanism to root out corruption among our elected and appointed officials at the federal level. Of course, at some point we would have to begin to worry about "who will watch the watchers".

While the "Green Energy" question isn't simplistic, it might become more simple if we understood that the folks largely behind the push for "green energy" are the same folks who were so enamored of Soviet Russia's economic and social policies. After the fall of the USSR, those folks transferred their allegiance to the "Green Movement" and their subsequent efforts have been more about hamstringing our existing energy industry than proving that their "alternative energy" policies are better or more efficient. In other words, they're closet authoritarians rather than "environmentalists."

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I don't think even if we replaced every elected Congressional representative every election because we would then strengthen the power of the unelected bureaucracy which makes many of the objectionable decisions that overgovern us. I think we need to drastically downsize the federal bureaucracy and their power to create rules and regulations that potentially rob us of our liberty and violate constitutional authority granted to the Executive Branch of the federal government. Once we have that under control, term limits on elected officials might deserve a second look. Of course, we MIGHT achieve similar results by eliminating some of the advantages incumbency grants elected representatives.

Are rules and regulations even constitutional per se. It's a delegation of legislative authority to the executive (I know I know, necessary and proper clause...). Generally rules and regulations are not subject to congressional oversight, and I'm not sure how often the courts even address these. Or the rule-making process per se.

The sheer volume of federal and State regulations alone is a threat to our liberty.

Top Bottom