• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    Read Directions!!!!!! NOT ME BY THE WAY!!!!

06.jpg

04.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Now, I don't have much of a weak stomach. But I think the OP needs to edit the thread title for the faint of heart with some sort of warning.

But alas, as a new-ish reloader, it's a good but gruesome reminder to take it slow and follow directions.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    this is NOT a "reloading" accident. This is a bulged barrel on a MUZZLELOADER. There's a huge difference. I can't possibly imagine what this guy did. Dump 150 grains of 5744 in like a black powder magnum charge?

There has to be more to this story - and I wanna hear it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Smokeless powder grains are by weight. Black powder grains are measured by volume. I would surmise that the shooter measured smokeless powder (weight) with a BP powder measure (volume). Thence boom.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I remember when I first heard of these smokeless powder muzzle loaders coming out that someone could easily do this.

I don't have a powder scale. It would be interesting if someone here could measure out say 50 grains by volume of smokeless powder then weigh it to see the difference.

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    No problems here

This isn't really reloading, but I guess you can argue that all muzzleloader shooters are indeed handloaders. Anyway, I've been bang-flopping deer with my Savage 10ML-II for 5 years, and have no reservations or concerns about continuing to doing so (yes, with smokeless powder). There have been several incidents of failures, and it seems like most have been in poorly maintained guns (barrel/breech plug erosion) or questionable/unsafe practices (not re-seating a load after failed ignition).

My pet load (a 300grain bullet at 2275fps) should produce a "chamber" pressure just a touch over 30,000psi. These guns are proofed at 129,000 psi. I'm much more willing to shoot my Savage (with smokeless) than some of the other pipe-bombs-with-a-stock muzzleloaders on the market.

For those who really care about this story, read this:
    How to Blow Up a Savage 10ML-II

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    This isn't really reloading, but I guess you can argue that all muzzleloader shooters are indeed handloaders. Anyway, I've been bang-flopping deer with my Savage 10ML-II for 5 years, and have no reservations or concerns about continuing to doing so (yes, with smokeless powder). There have been several incidents of failures, and it seems like most have been in poorly maintained guns (barrel/breech plug erosion) or questionable/unsafe practices (not re-seating a load after failed ignition).

My pet load (a 300grain bullet at 2275fps) should produce a "chamber" pressure just a touch over 30,000psi. These guns are proofed at 129,000 psi. I'm much more willing to shoot my Savage (with smokeless) than some of the other pipe-bombs-with-a-stock muzzleloaders on the market.

For those who really care about this story, read this:
    How to Blow Up a Savage 10ML-II

Good read!

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    Good read!

Yes, it is. Randy is a good spokesman for the 10ML-II. I have done what I can to spread the word amongst the people within my sphere of influence, but most would rather buy a $400 "el-cheapo" muzzleloader or the M Waddel version they saw on TV for $800 bucks. The Savage 10 ML-II is THE muzzleloader to have. Nothing else compares.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Stick with the book loads...

In an effort to get big-bore rifle style ballistics out of these muzzle loaders, I've heard of people using loads way above the book recommendations and even using so-called "duplex" loads (two different powders in the same load) occassionally with disastrous results. Both of these are REALLY BAD IDEAS!

I have seen a similar photo of a rifle where someone forgot to take out the laser sighting rod before firing, and it ruined the barrel. I'd love to hear what the cause of this specific incident was; double charges (one on top of another) or mismeasurement of powder. As one previous post mentioned, these barrels are proofed WAY higher than we normally operate (to provide a significant safety factor), so the pressure would have needed to be really high!

Top Bottom