• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I am no gardening expert, so some help would be appreciated. We came from vacation to find our roses look like this after first bloom. Any guesses at what is killing them?
    IMG_2648.JPG

IMG_2647.JPG

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would say Japanese beetle damage if they looked more like the bottom pic, I've never seen damage from beetles as extensive as the top pic though. Looks like you have some new growth in the top pic unless I'm seeing another plant. Beetles have been very active last two weeks.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I haven't seen any Japanese beetles, but I will look more closely tomorrow. Nothing has been sprayed in at least 6 weeks, so I don't think it is chemical. The leaves get those little holes then a couple days later they turn brown. I don't know if it is some type of fungus?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I don't have any rose bushes, but are they susceptible to fire blight like apple and pear trees get?

Are these bushes that have been established for a while or ones that were recently planted?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    We purchased the house late winter, so I can't say 100% the age of the plants. From the look of the bases and with how much I had to trim back in spring, they have to be at least a couple years old.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We purchased the house late winter, so I can't say 100% the age of the plants. From the look of the bases and with how much I had to trim back in spring, they have to be at least a couple years old.

So they should be established well enough that is it not lack of water. I did a quick google search and some roses apparently do get fire blight so that could be the issue.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Beetles on my roses only leave holes and tear up the leaves. Plant never turns brown like that. I hit it with a little 7 and it solves the problem.

I would hit yours with a rose or a universal shrub fertilizer. Maybe prune off the bad parts. Water it good.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't do anything for mine (the witch planted them a few yrs back).
    Damn things grow and bloom like gangbusters.
    Trimmed em way back this yr, already shot past.
    Like freakin weeds they are.
    I'd just as soon rip all of them out.

Did see a japanese beetle for the first time today.
    Right by the roses.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Was that mulch newly applied? There are many ways viruses, fungi, etc. can vector into your plants. It's suspicious that the plant put out a good set of foliage this spring, lots of leaves...then suddenly went south and they all went brown. If it's totally dead, I'd dig it up and look at the roots. When it happens quick like that, something got to the roots, attacked / rotted them, and interfered with their ability to take up moisture.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    No new mulch. I did trim off some of the branches last night and they seem to be healthy inside. I'm going to trim them back and spray them down with a pesticide to see if that helps. I am wondering if there are grubs or something eating at the roots...

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    You have a few identifiable issues. The elongated holes are most likely insect larvae feeding on the underside of the leaf. Look for small green "inchworms ". Second is black vine weevil evidenced by the "paper punch" round hole on the leaf margin. The larvae of these feed on the roots and could have been part of the overall decline of the plant. Their damage coupled with hot sunny days could cause sudden wilting and leaf death. I'm not sure of what consumer products are available but a soil drench systemic rose insecticide should take care of both insect problems. Also water is your friend but not fertilizer now.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I sprayed then tonight with a rose friendly insecticide that is supposed to be effective for root bases too. The watering shouldn't be an issue as the entire garden is on an automated irrigation system.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I never mulch around my roses and you typically won't find it around roses in large rose gardens. Experts warn of too many bugs and nasties in it. Just a good blanket of compost before winter is enough.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom