• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Here's an outlier to consider. Leupold FX-3 6x42. Fixed power scopes intrinsically offer lighter weight, greater durability, higher optical brightness and wider field-of-view. Once you settle on the ammo specs, slap a Leupy Custom Dial System (CDS) on the elevation turret and you're golden.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Take a look at SWFA offerings.

I'm very fond of the SWFA SS 3-15.

A lot of the very high dollars stuff starts running into heavy diminishing returns these days. If you could get some of those things at dealer cost, they'd be worth it, but otherwise ehhh.

I put a 10x42M on order with SWFA in September. ETA is April.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'm going to take this in a different direction than simply clamoring for a particular brand because the truth is all those mentioned and several others will do what you want it to do fairly well. For a hunting scope, I want something that is clear and transmits light well first and foremost because I'm not ok with passing up a shot at a buck of a lifetime because it is last light and I can't see it well enough to place the shot. Secondly, a rugged scope is very good idea unless you're one of those rare few people that can baby your equipment in the field. Warranties are nice if some unforeseen accident occurs but a warranty is not much of a consolation if the scope fails when you need it most. Then, once you've handled/looked through several brands and models of scopes, comes choosing a reticle that will work best for you. Personally I prefer a fairly simple reticle, one with a duplex crosshair and no more than hashes to compensate for bullet drop if anything. Lastly, comes other features, ie. target turrets, lighted crosshair, adjustable parallax, etc.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I picked up an older Remington 700 in .30-06.

I am expecting it will be used primarily for hunting... maybe some target shooting.

What do folks suggest I consider for a scope?

Predator 4 6-24x50​

$411.57 $1,149.99
    Model: 8773-B
    The 6-24x is the western hunter’s dream and longest range scope in the Predator 4 line. The 50mm objective lens provides a large field of view and the E3 reticle helps you estimate holdover for windage and elevation.

STEINER GLASS :

can't get much better than that -

and at this price .!!!

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    I did give a budget...under 500yds.

I have found with most things that dollars are net necessarily the best indication of effectiveness. Thus I don't go with the "what do you want to spend" approach. I go with "what is effective" and then figure out what is worth spending from there.

I wouldn’t put this into the budget friendly category, but I have this Burris Eliminator IV mounted and a buddy has the slightly older less expensive (and readily available) Eliminator 3.
    His and mine are perched on 300 Weatherby Mag.
    Built in lazer range finder, simple programming for bullet drop compensator.

Lifetime no questions asked warranty.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/eliminator-iii-laserscope/eliminator-iv-laserscope-4-16x50mm

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    Steve West, well know hunter on the national level “Why I Love the Eliminator” video. No turrets to tinker with, no need to carry a range finder.

SpinDrift762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Brownsburg
    Used Swarovski Habicht scopes- Swaro still warranties them forever, and I picked up a fixed 6x on eBay a couple months ago for $450.

If you want a more modern scope with worse glass, take your pick from vortex, Burris, etc….

If you want to reach out, consider something with target turrets and parallax adjustment.

Nightforce is excellent, and their SHV scopes are outstanding and sit near the $1000 price point.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive sent 4 brand new Leupolds back for fix/ replace. Owned a couple dozen over 30 yrs.

My .30-06 wears a new VX3i 3.5-10x.
    One adj is a little mushy feeling compared to the other but it dialed right in and has held zero. So far LOL

SpinDrift762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Brownsburg
    Ive sent 4 brand new Leupolds back for fix/ replace. Owned a couple dozen over 30 yrs.

My .30-06 wears a new VX3i 3.5-10x.
    One adj is a little mushy feeling compared to the other but it dialed right in and has held zero. So far LOL
    I should have mentioned Leupold as well, their warranty and glass are awesome. If and when it ever becomes time to plunk down cash for another high dollar scope it will be a tough call between a Nightforce ATACR and a Leupold Mk5.

I’ve had a Mk4 10x40 M3 as my only target scope for years now, and see no need to buy anything else!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    But Ill proly change it to tbe VX3 HD 3.5-10x w 30mm tube and firedot, help it maintain the eurotrash look ...kinda sorta.

Will move my reg vx3i to my .243 since it wears a fine duplex 4-12x. I like a reg duplex for yotes n bigger.

Move the 4-12xAO to my .22 rifle since its matte and has AO.

So the VX1 3-9x i was gonna parallax adjust thats on the .22 is going bye bye.

Hopefully last day of musical scopes.

Life is short. Dont settle. Set stuff up exactly like you want as fast as you can.

SpinDrift762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Brownsburg
    But Ill proly change it to tbe VX3 HD 3.5-10x w 30mm tube and firedot, help it maintain the eurotrash look ...kinda sorta.

Will move my reg vx3i to my .243 since it wears a fine duplex 4-12x. I like a reg duplex for yotes n bigger.

Move the 4-12xAO to my .22 rifle since its matte and has AO.

So the VX1 3-9x i was gonna parallax adjust thats on the .22 is going bye bye.

Hopefully last day of musical scopes.

Life is short. Dont settle. Set stuff up exactly like you want as fast as you can.
    Freaking amen to that. I learned that lesson way too late. I had lots of kit, instead of focusing on fewer weapons Id like more.

Also, musical scopes is an itch that never real goes away, lolz

SpinDrift762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Brownsburg
    I never considered the Euro scopes based on Leupold taking care of my destructive tendencies, but Swaro seems like they will too. The little 6x40-something I bought has the best eye box I’ve used on a scope, and the clarity is unreal, it’s been spoiling me

Top Bottom