Help me INGO, I'm an idiot (sighting in a rifle)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Ok, so I got a new scope a while back for my Marlin Model 60 (pre-1983 version :D ). This week, I bought an inexpensive laser boresighter to get the scope close to POI. But, I'm not sure I did it correctly. I only have about 20' to work with in my house, and I'm planning on zeroing the rifle at 25yds, since that's about as far as I'll be shooting squirrels.

So, the idiot part: Is A, or B correct here? The red dot from the laser will be about 2" from the crosshairs at 20'.
    zTBOrr2.png

I'm not going to say which way I have it now, lest I reinforce my idiocy.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    The rifle barrel is fixed about an inch below the center of the scope.
    So the bullet MUST start out below the line of sight.
    At 7 yards, the bullet should not have risen above the line of sight yet, so A.

Read this article if you want to know more.
    Trajectory | Art of the Rifle

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Neither A or B is correct. Put the crosshairs right on the laser dot....assuming that your laser is place in the chamber and the laser bean is coming out of the end of your barrel or the laser is in line with the axis of your barrel.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    A long time ago, I wanted to get my scope close enough to hit the paper at the range (way before cheap laser pointers). I strapped the gun down to a table outside, pointed at my barn. Then I used pliers on a small mirror from a compact until I had a piece shaped right to fit in the breach area. Then I got my binoculars and looked into the mirror and I could clearly see through the bore right where the gun was pointed. Then all I had to do was move the cross-hairs to match.

Later at the range, I only had to move it a few clicks to get it dead on.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    A long time ago, I wanted to get my scope close enough to hit the paper at the range (way before cheap laser pointers). I strapped the gun down to a table outside, pointed at my barn. Then I used pliers on a small mirror from a compact until I had a piece shaped right to fit in the breach area. Then I got my binoculars and looked into the mirror and I could clearly see through the bore right where the gun was pointed. Then all I had to do was move the cross-hairs to match.

Genius...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

I did something similar with less work to sight in my Savage bolt gun. Removed the bolt and sighted right down the barrel through the bore, just lined the cross hairs up with what I saw through the bore.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I have been known to take a mini mag light and adjust the beam down to the smallest circle I could get, then tape it to the end of the barrel. I would shine that circle on a wall inside my house. Looking through the scope, I would adjust the crosshairs to the center of the light. It always got me on paper to where I could make the final adjustments outside on bench at a later time....Hillbilly method 101. :)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I did something similar with less work to sight in my Savage bolt gun. Removed the bolt and sighted right down the barrel through the bore, just lined the cross hairs up with what I saw through the bore.

I think I'd seen an article in an old Guns & Ammo about doing that, but since I was working with a 10/22 I didn't have the ability to pull out the bolt.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Man you must be a genius!

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    A is more correct than B.

2" is too much at 20'. Heck they are probably that far apart (maybe even less) as they are now on the gun. A typical sight height for many ballistics calculators is 1.5"

I'd adjust the crosshairs to be just over the laser, then shoot and adjust from there. If you want to be zeroed at 25 yds, it won't take much adjustment.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Good video on setup here. Rifle Accuracy Tips - Using A Laser Bore Sighter - YouTube

Another thing many don't do is when mounting the scope, make sure the eye relief is where you comfortably hold the rifle from your eye, this keeps you from having to stretch your neck in an uncomfortable position to use it. I leave the scope loose, close my eyes and shoulder the rifle comfortably, when I open my eyes it should be the right distance, if not I move it and repeat until it is right. I use loctite on the mounting base and scope screws too.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I'll plug it back in tonight and adjust to A with the crosshairs about 1/2" above the laser dot. Then tomorrow, if the weather holds off, I'll dial it the rest of the way in with boolits.
    That should be enough to put you on paper.

Top Bottom