• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    ...for my 73 year old (don't tell her I told you ;)) mom.

I was talking with mom this morning and she mentioned that the 12 gauge I gave her and dad a few years ago wasn't her 'weapon of choice' for home defense/personal protection. I chuckled at first, then she mentioned the weight, loading it and proper home placement being a big issue. When I gave it to them I didn't consider her getting more frail. I don't have any spare handguns laying around nor do I have bags of money hidden somewhere.

My parents are both retired but, working part-time to pay for insurance and medications. So an inexpensive weapon is a must. Is there a good, inexpensive handgun available? :dunno: Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a pity case sale.

Can you give me some help trying to find the right handgun for them? Low kick with plenty of punch and low price... too Utopian?

Thanks!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    if you wanted to drive to Midwest (Elkhart/Mishawaka) before 12/31 you can get a S&W 442 or 642 (.38 Special +P Airweight revolver) for $359, plus S&W has a $50 mail in rebate until 12/31.

so after rebate and taxes you're looking around $330 or so

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My wife enjoys a .38spl revolver for some of the same reasons your mother might. Easy to use, lightweight, and relatively low recoil. There are some good lightweight and budget friendly options out there from Taurus that would fit the bill nicely, as well as S&W for a bit more coin.

The plus side is no mags to load, slides to rack, safeties to finagle, just point and click. That's also the downside...safe handling and storage is that much more important, especially if there are any children in the house.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You can get some .38 revolvers for quite cheap, even cheaper used.
    It will have the low recoil you want and enough punch to do the job.
    Also revolvers may be easier to use than semi-auto for senior citizens.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    You could pick up a used but very functional .38spl at just about any gun show for pretty reasonable. Not had any experience with Charter Arms so I can't speak on the quality but I've seen Charter Arms Undercover .38s less than $200. Use to see quite a few of the police issue .38s and .357s in used cases at gun shops. They weren't always the prettiest but they had tight actions, just a bunch of carry wear. Most of those were $250-$300(.357s for closer to $300). That was a handful of years ago so that supply isn't probably still really out there but they'll be at gun shows.

Could check out gunbroker. There are some nice deals on there, looking at a S&W Mdl 15-2 .38 right now. No experience with Rossi firearms but gunbroker has a Rossi Model 68 .38 looks about like a 4" for $175 buy it now. Holster and clamshell pistol case with it(which with a lock can kind of eliminate the worry about having kids in the house...keep it locked when they'd be there).

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    First off, awesome that your parents are serious about their personal protection! and good for you for helping them out :yesway:
    I too would vote for a revolver. Easy to use, reliable, manageable recoil especially with .38, no slide to rack or magazine to deal with. You should be able to find a nice used revolver at a decent price. I would just recommend at least a 3 inch barrel, but probably a 4 inch. Since it is for HD no need for a snubbie which is less accurate unless you practice with it enough and the longer barrel will help with the felt recoil. Just my :twocents: Good luck with your decision and great job! :ingo:

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Go check out KS&E on Pendelton Pike. They have some fair pricing and may have what you want. Also try to hit up a private sell at the 1500 coming up. IMO I would stay away from the low dollar stuff and get a used Smith or Taurus.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Low recoil? Do not follow the kneejerk reaction of "lightweight" .38 snubs. There is a reason women do not like shooting is because some husband is shoving a high recoil, painful weapon into their hands... :twocents: If it's for home defense (not alot of outside carrying), then a snub is less than ideal in my opinion.

A decent 9mm handgun would be a good option. CDNN has some Smith 5906 9mms for sale for $300 (plus FFL and shipping). Bang for the buck, plus the low recoil of the steel framed 9mm helps out big time. 15+ rounds on tap, nothing to sneeze at. The slides on Smiths are pretty easy to rack IMHO.

A good 4" revolver would be a good idea: Summit Gunbroker (not to be confused with Gunbroker) has alot of old Smith model 10s, Colt Police Positives and others that are under $300 shipped (and probably FFL if you work it right). Gunstores will rob you on a Smith model 10 price wise. The guns from Summitt have some wear, but they work right and are awesomely priced. .357 revolvers may not be a good idea due to recoil, despite the size of the frame. A GP100 would be ideal, but it is heavy and overkill in regards to .357 capability. A good, decently priced K frame would hit the spot.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would also recommend a .38 special. Taurus and Rossi make some good revolvers for the money. They have models that can be had for around $400. As other have said, they are simple to operate. No slide to work, or magazine to fumble with. I would take them shopping with you if possible. That way they can get a feel for the product themselves.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    If you go with a .38 special, I would look for a used one with a 4" barrel, like a S&W model 10. The recoil will be a lot less than a 2" snub. If it is a home defense piece, concealment isn't an issue. You could also load it with some non +P rounds to reduce the recoil further.

If you could find one, a used CZ-83 in .32acp might be a great low-recoil option. It's pretty much a medium-size semiauto holding 15 rounds of .32acp. With it's size and weight, recoil should be close to nil.

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Thanks a bunch for the info and ideas guys! I can see that inexpensive means different things to different people. :D

I believe the used market is where I'll have to look, new prices are too far from reasonable right now. I was also thinking revolver and .38 or .357 as well as a 4"-6" barrel. I wouldn't buy without them actually having hands on the weapon. I'll check back if I get anything worth buying. Please PM me if you find anything interesting as well.

Again... thanks for the input!! INGO people are a class act.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I would stay away from the lightweight revolvers and go with a K-frame revolver. S&W Model 10's and some Model 15's can be had for 300-350 and are much easier to shoot than the snubbies are. On one range trip years ago my wife shot a 1911, 92FS, SIG P225, and Glock 19. She like the 92FS best, with the P225 and 1911 coming up tied for second and the G19 in last. The heavier the pistol and larger the grip, the more comfortable it was for her.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Ruger

Your best bet would probably be a used Ruger revolver. It really depends on your parents budget.

The best thing to do is take her out and let her hand a couple different firearms. She may be able to rack the slide on a surprising amount of auto loaders. My only concern is the mileage she will get out of an auto. Given her age she may be able to rack a semi today but fast forward 4 years and the revolver might be looking much more attractive.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Low recoil? Do not follow the kneejerk reaction of "lightweight" .38 snubs. There is a reason women do not like shooting is because some husband is shoving a high recoil, painful weapon into their hands... :twocents: If it's for home defense (not alot of outside carrying), then a snub is less than ideal in my opinion.

A decent 9mm handgun would be a good option. CDNN has some Smith 5906 9mms for sale for $300 (plus FFL and shipping). Bang for the buck, plus the low recoil of the steel framed 9mm helps out big time. 15+ rounds on tap, nothing to sneeze at. The slides on Smiths are pretty easy to rack IMHO.

A good 4" revolver would be a good idea: Summit Gunbroker (not to be confused with Gunbroker) has alot of old Smith model 10s, Colt Police Positives and others that are under $300 shipped (and probably FFL if you work it right). Gunstores will rob you on a Smith model 10 price wise. The guns from Summitt have some wear, but they work right and are awesomely priced. .357 revolvers may not be a good idea due to recoil, despite the size of the frame. A GP100 would be ideal, but it is heavy and overkill in regards to .357 capability. A good, decently priced K frame would hit the spot.

The above is excellent advice.

kan915

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    Allen County
    vote goes to the Smith K-Frame or Ruger Six series, i have a Charter Undercover from the 70's and my wife really liked shooting that till i got the Service Six, she can handle the 357 out of that as well as standard pressure 38's from the Undercover. She likes the 38 specials +P in the Ruger ALOT and will shoot damn near all day with it'

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Great thought provoking post and great replies.

My Dad has pared down his gun collection to a small Colt in 38 S&W. That is his choice. He is in his eighties. It sits on his nightstand and next to his TV chair. He made a clip to hold it on his Oxygen bottle rig and on his electric chair when he needs to get out. He bought the gun in like, 1946.

I am getting there too. I have decided that my Ruger SP101 loaded with 38 Specials will probably be the last firearm that I will give up or sell.

A small, light handgun in a easily controlled caliber is probably what fits the bill the best for older folks.

38, 380, 9mm are probably good calibers. Maybe even 22LR?

I don't even TRY to make decisions for Dad. He knows what works for him. I just follow along.

His handgun will probably never be fired again by him, but it is small and light and he feels better when he is armed and not totally helpless.

Maybe it is the same for your folks?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom