• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I handled and dry-fired a Prodigy at USDS a few weeks ago.

It was...OK. Keep in mind that I am NOT a 1911 guy. And I'm certainly not a "2011" guy.

As such, a future purchase of a Prodigy may be in the cards just due to the overall lower cost of getting into that vs. what I really want - which would be a Staccato P. Actually it's a Chambers Custom - but I don't think I'll ever have $7500+ to put into *A* pistol that I'll rarely shoot.

Anyhow - my debate: The gun I want would have a threaded barrel, tall sights, and at least a plate system for an optic. In Staccato - that's like a $2750 or so investment. Springfield doesn't yet offer a combination that's attractive to me - and if I were to modify one, I'd be around $2000.

So, eventually if/when Spingfield offers a pistol that I *AM* interested in, I'm then forced to consider the possibility of $500 or so in parts and labor in order to get it to run like a Staccato does right out of the box. So I'm potentially around $2k for a Prodigy...

And I might be able to find a used Staccato for similar money.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Yn6R3Xh.jpg

And know staccato is the correct answer , looking at Springfield's catalog and product history the Prodigy being offered with a threaded barrel is slim at best IMHO. :abused: I am willing to accept all blame the purchase of high end knives, 2011's , and now shotguns

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I handled and dry-fired a Prodigy at USDS a few weeks ago.

It was...OK. Keep in mind that I am NOT a 1911 guy. And I'm certainly not a "2011" guy.

As such, a future purchase of a Prodigy may be in the cards just due to the overall lower cost of getting into that vs. what I really want - which would be a Staccato P. Actually it's a Chambers Custom - but I don't think I'll ever have $7500+ to put into *A* pistol that I'll rarely shoot.

Anyhow - my debate: The gun I want would have a threaded barrel, tall sights, and at least a plate system for an optic. In Staccato - that's like a $2750 or so investment. Springfield doesn't yet offer a combination that's attractive to me - and if I were to modify one, I'd be around $2000.

So, eventually if/when Spingfield offers a pistol that I *AM* interested in, I'm then forced to consider the possibility of $500 or so in parts and labor in order to get it to run like a Staccato does right out of the box. So I'm potentially around $2k for a Prodigy...

And I might be able to find a used Staccato for similar money.
    Same boat. Did you bring sammiches for lunch? It seems like a long way to shore....

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Yn6R3Xh.jpg

And know staccato is the correct answer , looking at Springfield's catalog and product history the Prodigy being offered with a threaded barrel is slim at best IMHO. :abused: I am willing to accept all blame the purchase of high end knives, 2011's , and now shotguns
    I will not listen to Dean

:):

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    What gripes me most about dot ready guns is the LCI milled into the barrel hood. It spews crap all over the glass making it troublesome for extended shooting events. Designers must not be the users in many cases. Loaded chamber indicators are an oxymoron for those who live by the four rules. Worthless as **** on a boar. Just my opinion.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    What gripes me most about dot ready guns is the LCI milled into the barrel hood. It spews crap all over the glass making it troublesome for extended shooting events. Designers must not be the users in many cases. Loaded chamber indicators are an oxymoron for those who live by the four rules. Worthless as **** on a boar. Just my opinion.
    That's the nice thing about Staccato's. No LCI Milled into the Barrel hood.

hairydad300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Anderson
    I purchased a 4.25 Prodigy, took it home, cleaned the gun, went back to range and shot probably 100-150 rounds through it. I had three fail to feeds in that time(bullets nosed forward caught on feed ramp). Ayer those three, I put another 2-300 rounds over the course of 3 range days. I shot the weapon slowly at 25 yards with no further malfunctions. I really enjoyed the factory irons(didn’t think I would like the U, but I did, the gun was tight from the factory and had a decent trigger(I’ve shot Glocks for 20+ years so take that with a grain of salt) and the gun was very accurate. Additionally, I shot multiple speed drills(ie Bill drills)with 0 malfunctions with both magazines that came with gun. This was my first time running a steel frame 2011, I was very impressed with recoil, or lack of recoil. I mounted a weapons light on the weapon and wow, truly a pleasure to shoot. I came across a deal the other day on a Staccato(aluminum frame) and had to trade it off(unlike most of the 2011 crowd, I don’t have Chambers custom money for handguns lol). I got rid of Prodigy for Staccato because the money for later was just right, but from the limited amount of rounds I put through SF I’d buy again. The only hang up I had with the platform, the HEX optic in my humble opinion is junk(I run 509t’s on my Glocks). I was a little agitated that they put weapon out without other plates on the market…My only slight on the weapon.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I got a good deal on a new 1911 with a wedding ring scratch on it.

You're not supposed to dry fire some hang guns. They make rubber bullets for this.
    For various reasons depending in the gun. Firing pin shouldering out with nothing to slow it down, for instance. Just part of know your gun 101.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom