• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    One of my local shops had a 4.25” Prodigy not in stock but still there as buyer hadn’t picked it up. Played with it and the shop also had an STI 2011(not sure which model). For me to compare the slide and trigger on the STI were so so smooth compared to the Prodigy, obviously prices were drastically different. Overall felt good would be a very fun range toy especially the 4.25 that way if you wanted to carry.

Anyone shot one and could give review of that?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    J68rmsr.jpg

MIM versus Tool Steel , judgmental Staccato P

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    One of my local shops had a 4.25” Prodigy not in stock but still there as buyer hadn’t picked it up. Played with it and the shop also had an STI 2011(not sure which model). For me to compare the slide and trigger on the STI were so so smooth compared to the Prodigy, obviously prices were drastically different. Overall felt good would be a very fun range toy especially the 4.25 that way if you wanted to carry.

My 4.25 Prodigy was a shooter, very accurate, the only limitation is the availability of optic plates, they are still not available.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

would like to know which dealer allows the masses to fondle a gun that is reserved for the buyer.?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

There are tons of reviews on them, as well as tons of videos of the work people do on them to get them running. Not sure if you are familiar with Springfields 1911's or not, but they are basically that as far as build quality, although a little more spotty for some reason. I still plan on getting one as a project gun. Probably a 5 inch. One of the first things I will do is put a different guide rod in, probably a Dawson toolless.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Just curious, what harm does dropping the slide on an empty pistol do to it?

I've been watching many videos of smiths demonstrating various part swaps and tuning. Yes I know there are plenty of DIY hacks out there that aren't real smiths, but that's why I watch as many as possible. You can tell who is a seasoned expert after awhile. Many of them do just that, rack the slide multiple times to clear the chamber and after servicing for a function check when done.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Never mind, I just found something, although I still don't fully understand it.
    From the Springfield manual:
    1669846367390.png

After reading several threads on other 1911 forums, it is an unsettled topic although most say in older designs it is definatley a no-no.

Something about wearing the locking lugs unnecessarily. It should only be done as a function/safety check to ensure the pistol won't fire unintentionally when the slide is released (with lightened trigger pulls or trigger jobs).

I guess I will not do that anymore with mine. Not that I do it often, but I have after reassembling it.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Never mind, I just found something, although I still don't fully understand it.
    From the Springfield manual:
    View attachment 239787

After reading several threads on other 1911 forums, it is an unsettled topic although most say in older designs it is definatley a no-no.

Something about wearing the locking lugs unnecessarily. It should only be done as a function/safety check to ensure the pistol won't fire unintentionally when the slide is released (with lightened trigger pulls or trigger jobs).

I guess I will not do that anymore with mine. Not that I do it often, but I have after reassembling it.

This single post has talked me out of bying a 1911.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    In my lifetime I have had dealers and the store groupies switch out parts, grips etc, put itiot scratches on frame, tear open factory boxes, put grease fingerprints on box, and other things that I will never know on guns that I have ordered. It taught me relationships with ethical dealers doing good business practices is VERY important as after all, it is my money and my continued business.

Many of these weasels blame the factory, distributor or wholesalers and shippers but I always knew better.

Since as end buyers of guns, we are at the mercy of a dealer with no other choice, we are forced to use the FFL holder. He either does business with good ethics and standards, or like most everything today, he doesn’t.

Who you choose is on you.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm with you. At that point it's not there property. They are only the caretaker until the buyer shows up to pick it up.
    What if someone dropped it or it was scratched
    Then the dealer just bought themselves a blemished gun to sell to somebody else and is responsible for replacing it at their cost. :dunno:

What if the dealer went to move it from the case to the box and fumbled it and dropped it on the concrete floor? No different. Ultimately the dealer is responsible for its care until transferred. Doesnt matter who caused the damage.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Then the dealer just bought themselves a blemished gun to sell to somebody else and is responsible for replacing it at their cost. :dunno:

What if the dealer went to move it from the case to the box and fumbled it and dropped it on the concrete floor? No different. Ultimately the dealer is responsible for its care until transferred. Doesnt matter who caused the damage.
    Except I highly doubt a dealer who is letting someone else handle your bought and paid for gun that they know you have never seen is going to fess up to that. They will likely blame the distributor or factory, etc.

They can have whatever policies they want for their in the case inventory, but if this is a paid for transfer, etc then they shouldn't be allowing coon fingering of someone else's property, IMO.

Top Bottom