4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    yhst-60288712508565_2268_33789416

Well, this probably won't help you.
    But I use this at work.
    It clamp on my hardhat.
    It is 80 lumens.
    But it only last 1-2 hours, depends on the battery capacity.
    It uses two of the 123 batteries.
    I used rechargeables. 2 in the light, two in my pocket in a plastic carry case, and 4 in my toolbelt.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    yhst-60288712508565_2268_33789416

Well, this probably won't help you.
    But I use this at work.
    It clamp on my hardhat.
    It is 80 lumens.
    But it only last 1-2 hours, depends on the battery capacity.
    It uses two of the 123 batteries.
    I used rechargeables. 2 in the light, two in my pocket in a plastic carry case, and 4 in my toolbelt.

Whoa! If you're only getting 1-2 hours on two CR123As or the rechargeable equivalent for an 80 lumen light, you might want to consider an upgrade!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Apparently my memory is off.
    From the specs
    C4 LED delivers 7,000 candela peak beam intensity; 115 lumens; 167 meter beam distance; runs 6 hours.

Maybe I'm thinking of worn out rechargeables? :dunno:
    Also, I don't usually recharge, till the battery is affecting brightness. So who knows how long it ran?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yeah man.....get with the times. I do 100 mile foot races in the mountains. That means being out there all night with a headlamp. It has to be bright AND light. In those races, I’m averaging about 8 miles an hour. I have to be able to see much better than a hiker or someone going slow so I don’t step wrong and break something.

The answer is a Zebralight with an 18650. Mine does over 1k lumens on max output, or I can make it all night on 500 lumens on 2 batteries.

Check them out and the feedback on CPF. This isn’t a flashlight forum, and they get no love on INGO for some reason.....but they are extremely well regarded on CPF and among any flashlight geeks.

I am a professional who uses headlamps near daily and the Zebralight is the hands down best bang for the buck. I own six. They completely blow every other out of the water in the price range.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have one of these & love it, there is no red light on it however, but man is it bright.
    https://www.amazon.com/Brightest-fl...1-spons&keywords=headlamps+rechargeable&psc=1

I bought two of these when they were closer to $20.

It has been very good. Probably a year old now and still works as new. I'll use it on late rides and in the attic or working on the vehicles. So far, great. Can't recall if it has ever been rained on, so I don't know how well it will be in the wet.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup.....nobody listens on this forum. They're the best dang thing out there, and they are reasonably priced to boot. Pretty well anything else posted here is fairly janky compared to them.

Fenix was mentioned upthread. They're decent, but the ZL will kick the **** out of them.

Streamlight and Surefire are nice for gun lights, but they don't make anything worth a rats ass for headlamps.

Pretty well everything else listed in this thread, I wouldn't use if you need it for anything serious. I do like my petzl tikka for car camping though...

I am a professional who uses headlamps near daily and the Zebralight is the hands down best bang for the buck. I own six. They completely blow every other out of the water in the price range.

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Yup.....nobody listens on this forum. They're the best dang thing out there, and they are reasonably priced to boot. Pretty well anything else posted here is fairly janky compared to them.

Fenix was mentioned upthread. They're decent, but the ZL will kick the **** out of them.

Streamlight and Surefire are nice for gun lights, but they don't make anything worth a rats ass for headlamps.

Pretty well everything else listed in this thread, I wouldn't use if you need it for anything serious. I do like my petzl tikka for car camping though...

Ok- dubs, you have my attention... I've been back and forth in this thread and cannot find a link or reference to the lights your referring too. Help an :ingo: bro out here.

TIA.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I go quantity over quality with these. I have several $5 single LED headlamps around the house, garage, and vehicles.

This is my basic approach. I just keep a few cheap ones around. Like others have said, I mostly use headlamps for task lighting at arms length. Not usually anything critial. So 50ish lumens is plenty.

I have a couple of these two packs from Sam's. They have a couple modes. One is a medium setting that is not so focused and works well to light the work area right in front of me.
    https://m.samsclub.com/ip/mm-2pk-headlamp/prod21265213

I used to have a Pelican brand headlamp on my hard hat at work. It was also a good arms-length task light. Not super bright but great for ta king notes on a clip board or looking at your work right in front of you. It had batteries in the back which I thought balanced out the weight on the hat. It died and I have not replaced it because I'm mostly in the office now. For hard hats, I like the ones with the big rubber strap option.

I'm definitely going to check out these zebralights for my more serious headlamp needs.

Top Bottom