• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Opening day was a crazy one. My set up was in a bean field that I own that sits surrounded by small wood lots, each which had at least one bird talking. The tom I ended up killing came out in front of me at over 200 yards. He almost never broke strut for almost 1 1/2 hours and rarely went more than a minute without gobbling. For some reason he was brave enough to square off with a deer, yet would not approach the hens or jake in the field, nor come to the decoys. As the morning progressed, he finally got to about 80 yards from me and I thought I might have a chance, when a train pulled up on my neighboring set of tracks. The train ran all the birds out of the field and into my woods. After 10 minutes or so, the train left and I decided to just wait them out hoping that if he stepped back out of the woods a fresh look at the field might get him to change his mood and head for the dekes. About 20 minutes went by and I heard something from behind and left of the blind. I looked out and he was full strut and heading right to the dekes only 20 yards off my left shoulder. The rest was history. He just couldn't resist that DSD jake decoy, like almost every other tom that has seen that decoy the past few years. That was the end to him. One lighting strike from the Ninja in the blind and it was over at 9 yards. A Magnus Bullhead almost took his head OFF.

21 1/2#, 10 1/4" beard, and 7/8" spurs.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJKeYAjmE0I

2012DerekIndianaBird-4.jpg

2012DerekIndianaBird-2.jpg

Ghost Maker sent another to his grave. Thanks EdJ!

2012DerekIndianaBird-3.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    love your vids, great job DEC!

The footage of the deer and turkeys was awesome!

This has to be one of the BEST turkey hunt vids I've seen.

Last edited:

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Glad someone had some luck------congrats---

I and 4 others hunted 4 days close to the Ohio River-----saw 3 Toms at long distance--none would talk back---5 hunters,score=0
    Popcorn Sutton came around after the last hunt day-----helped our mood some...
    There is always the fall hunt.............

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah I thought about that after I posted it. Probably the preferred method to save the meat, and the 'trophy', ie tail feathers?

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    what is it with you and your family decapitating turkeys!?!?!!?

I've killed more birds than I can even remember with a shot gun, so several years ago I made the full blown commitment to bow hunting birds only. I lost several in the first years of body shooting them, then I got hooked on head/neck only shots with the bow and the Magnus Bullheads which are the best tool for that job. Since then I've been "wrecking necks" every year. Honestly, the head/neck is an easier shot than a body shot and you never destroy the meat like you would with a body shot.

As to my daughter, she killed her first turkey 4 years ago with a shot gun. But she was 7 years old and didn't like the kick of the 20 ga. So the next year she wanted to "bow hunt", which at 8 years old wasn't practical. I offered up the Xbow idea and she ran with it. First one she body shot only because I didn't have time to verify how Bullheads would fly out of an Xbow. She has now head chopped 2 with the Xbow in 2 years after we did some testing on farm turkeys.

My oldest daughter is still a shot gun hunter for birds, but I see her making the switch to bows in the next couple years as she has already killed her fair share of turkeys and she prefers bow hunting deer to gun hunting them. She just needs another year or two of bow hunting experience first before I move her onto birds with a bow.

Turkey hunting is a blast no matter if it is with a gun or a bow. But there is just something special about head slapping one with an arrow.:cool:

.458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    That's pretty impressive. Haven't had the chance or ambition to go out this year. Hear birds every morning and have nesting hens on the property. Thanks for sharing.

odie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Thanks for sharing that with us. I love watcking the videos people post of their hunts. its real not like the one on TV that are mostly paid hunts

Top Bottom