• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Really? With a shotgun, all you have to do is point in the general direction and pull the trigger.

If his pistol is a .45, he may be intending to rend their soul. Even a near-miss is enough to send them into neuroskeletal vorpaltude.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A few years back I grabbed the 1100, set up as all-in-one with 18 shells on it and 500 lumen light. I stood behind a bush in pitch black for 20 minutes watching some kind of heathens on the road do chinese fire drills after scavenger hunting my neighbors yard.

After the whole ordeal, I drug myself back inside from "the workout." Then screwed sling mounts to the stock and forearm adding a Magpul MS3 that now lives on it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'll add this... after spending a lot of time with (and rounds through!) a Benelli Nova, I got pretty spoiled with the grip on the slide/foregrip -- I NEVER pinched myself, and could hold it in various positions comfortably. It fit me much better than the 870s or 500s that everyone else in my family and most friends have.

Even though I'd be giving some aftermarket support, the Benelli Novas and SuperNovas fit me better, thus I can shoot better and more confidently. I can still get an extension tube and a light mount. I would never feel outgunned with that thing.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    00r0r_fAmKikkbcQg_1200x900.jpg

my Dad always says (K.eep I.t S.imple S.tupid)

1973 Mossberg 500 pump, 18.5" security barrel, bead sight, gg&g sling mounts, shell holder

5 + 1 in the chamber of Remington 2 3/4" 8 pellet 00buck Low-Recoil

5 in the shell holder of Federal 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00buck PD flitecontrol

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Mossberg 930 SPX loaded with Hornady Critical Defense 00 buck in the tube and 6 Federal Tru Ball slugs in the saddle. It has various mods which are mostly for user friendliness and reliability without adding weight.
    This is an older photo when I had a AimPro railed forearm on it. I love the look of the rails but talk about heavy! I have since reinstalled the factory forearm which feels way better and weighs alot less.

I'm planning on adding some flavor of mini red dot on this at some point that will cowitness the irons. I have them on a couple guns now and they definitely make sighting easier.

Last edited:

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I screwed up two nice 870's, one in 20 and one in 12, with all sorts of whizz bang. Now I just want to return to stock. But...I lost the butt stock screw and can't ever remember where I was told I could find them online. Obijohn has even shown them, but I didn't buy. I recommend just a very basic setup. Want any cool used parts?

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I am going the same way and slowly going back to stock on this shotgun. I am a believer in oversize controls and lights on my defense guns so that prolly won't change, but the rails and pistol grip stocks and the like for the most part went bye bye.
    Ebay has stock screw you are looking for at various prices. I would imagine most gunshops that sell any of the replacement stocks will have standard stock screws on the work bench somewhere. I save all the hardware I get from either my own guns or someones I worked on that did not want the hold hardware back. Most shops do the same.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I just got back from a 3 day shotgun course. I am completely beat up, my right shoulder is hamburger and the cold/snow the final day really took it out of me. My wife just looks at me and doesn't say a word since I did it to myself.

Let me help some people out.

Ammo: I am a big fan of reduced recoil slugs and buck shot. If you live in the boonies and shoot over 75 yards you might consider full power slugs. Federal flight control is a marvel in technology in one of my guns. The other gun does about the same with either federal or any other reduced recoil load. I would run either 1 or 00 buck.

Ammo capacity: Ammo runs out pretty quick. Consider a side saddle or butt cuff with extra ammo. You will likely have what you carry on or in the gun. Magazine extensions hold more ammo but add weight. I shot a 4+1 gun with equal effect as the 6+1.

Stock: Invest in a short stock!!! One of my guns has a full length stock and it is hard for me to run. The only time I short stroked a gun in three days was towards the end of day three with this gun. Plus despite there not being a magazine extension the gun felt like a hundred pounds. I wanted to really run theses guns before making modifications (software vs hardware) but I am a believer in short stocks. They simply allow me to get the gun up in the shoulder pocket, square up to the threat and run the gun. In fact I will soon have a really nice set of speed feed solid 870P furniture with the R3 recoil pad laying around if anybody wants to return their gun to stock for cheap.

Sling: If you are running around outside or this is a working gun I recommend a sling. A simple 2 point carry strap will work just fine and set you back less then $20. On one gun I used a $5 strap including swivels that I picked up out of the bargain bin. Worked fine and I will throw it in with the 870P furniture. :laugh: I am thinking about setting up a working gun and a dedicated home defense gun, I will not be putting a sling on the gun that stays at home.

Sights: Bead is fine but I had trouble tossing slugs with it. I fared just fine with the bead sight. I like my ghost rings for buck and slug. But consider high visibility sights.

Light: Nice and makes things easier but there are ways around not having a weapon mounted light. I see no reason not to have one on the gun. No need to break the bank though. My $40 Streamlight polytach held up like a champ and a mounting system could be as easy as zip ties.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I just got back from a 3 day shotgun course. I am completely beat up, my right shoulder is hamburger and the cold/snow the final day really took it out of me. My wife just looks at me and doesn't say a word since I did it to myself.

Let me help some people out.

Ammo: I am a big fan of reduced recoil slugs and buck shot. If you live in the boonies and shoot over 75 yards you might consider full power slugs. Federal flight control is a marvel in technology in one of my guns. The other gun does about the same with either federal or any other reduced recoil load. I would run either 1 or 00 buck.

Ammo capacity: Ammo runs out pretty quick. Consider a side saddle or butt cuff with extra ammo. You will likely have what you carry on or in the gun. Magazine extensions hold more ammo but add weight. I shot a 4+1 gun with equal effect as the 6+1.

Stock: Invest in a short stock!!! One of my guns has a full length stock and it is hard for me to run. The only time I short stroked a gun in three days was towards the end of day three with this gun. Plus despite there not being a magazine extension the gun felt like a hundred pounds. I wanted to really run theses guns before making modifications (software vs hardware) but I am a believer in short stocks. They simply allow me to get the gun up in the shoulder pocket, square up to the threat and run the gun. In fact I will soon have a really nice set of speed feed solid 870P furniture with the R3 recoil pad laying around if anybody wants to return their gun to stock for cheap.

Sling: If you are running around outside or this is a working gun I recommend a sling. A simple 2 point carry strap will work just fine and set you back less then $20. On one gun I used a $5 strap including swivels that I picked up out of the bargain bin. Worked fine and I will throw it in with the 870P furniture. :laugh: I am thinking about setting up a working gun and a dedicated home defense gun, I will not be putting a sling on the gun that stays at home.

Sights: Bead is fine but I had trouble tossing slugs with it. I fared just fine with the bead sight. I like my ghost rings for buck and slug. But consider high visibility sights.

Light: Nice and makes things easier but there are ways around not having a weapon mounted light. I see no reason not to have one on the gun. No need to break the bank though. My $40 Streamlight polytach held up like a champ and a mounting system could be as easy as zip ties.

Thanks for the info, Ill defiantly take that into consideration. I sent you a text yesterday, gimme a shout back when you get a chance!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have an 870 home defense. I'm not real comfortable running a shotgun though. I feel the factory stock is too long & it needs a light.

I'm leaning towards the magpul stock and foregrip. Shorter stock and has the ability to mount the light near my hand for easier on/off control. It already has an extended mag with a sling mount. I'm undecided on adding more weight by using a side saddle.

Thoughts?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have an 870 home defense. I'm not real comfortable running a shotgun though. I feel the factory stock is too long & it needs a light.

I'm leaning towards the magpul stock and foregrip. Shorter stock and has the ability to mount the light near my hand for easier on/off control. It already has an extended mag with a sling mount. I'm undecided on adding more weight by using a side saddle.

Thoughts?

The magpul stocks are nice. I think I am going to buy a set.

Go with the Velcro backed shotgun cards. Just stick the Velcro to the gun after cleaning the metal surface with alcohol. It held up fine for me over three days and adds no weight without shells. Plus there is no chance of over tightening screws load me a plastic side saddle.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I opted for a Mossberg 500, holds 9 rounds of 2 3/4 or 8 of 3". I put a sling on it that holds shotgun shells like a bandolier. I still need to add a light to it.

Top Bottom