• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Any INGO members attending the event this weekend? This will be my 2nd Appleseed and I am pumped. I shot a scoped 10/22 my first time last Fall and will be shooting a 10/22 with new tech sights this weekend. Very anxious to improve my foundations, re-learn the 3 strikes, and hopefully get another patch with open sights.

So who else is going to be there? Also curious to know which hats will be there this weekend.

Looking forward to sharing the line with some of you.

Dn

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    If there are INGO folks considering this shoot but not signing up due to lack of ammo, send me a PM. I will gladly bring some extra federal or Winchester bulk to let someone experience an Appleseed weekend. It is a fantastic experience and I hope others on INGO will participate.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Are you coming to this shoot Dangerous Old lady?

Nope sorry, just excited that everyone will get to experience your instruction. :D

My plans are to work the pits on Sunday at Atterbury, do the Richmond seed ( got the hubby to commit to Sat) , liberty seed near me in September, and possible host a seed this fall too here on the farm. Oh yeah, and 7th stepping at all times.

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Nope sorry, just excited that everyone will get to experience your instruction. :D

My plans are to work the pits on Sunday at Atterbury, do the Richmond seed ( got the hubby to commit to Sat) , liberty seed near me in September, and possible host a seed this fall too here on the farm. Oh yeah, and 7th stepping at all times.

lol they usually don't let me out to instruct to much lol. They try to keep most folks from having to suffer through that! I'll be working atterbury on sunday also probably in the pits to keep my ugly mug out of the pictures and what not :) I look forward to working with you again!

And I know your always 7th stepping. you rock Mrs Rayne!! A shining example of what a great American is!!

RMOR

Plinker
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    Grunt Soldier (or anyone else who can respond), I'm borrowing a S&W 15-22 for this Appleseed and do not have a sling for it, can I get by without one? I'm bringing my son and he's shooting my .22, which has a sling. Not sure whether or not to try and remedy this before Saturday or if I can get by without one. I would rather not invest money in a borrowed gun, but if you tell me I need one I'll see what I can do. Thanks in advance for your input.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Grunt Soldier (or anyone else who can respond), I'm borrowing a S&W 15-22 for this Appleseed and do not have a sling for it, can I get by without one? I'm bringing my son and he's shooting my .22, which has a sling. Not sure whether or not to try and remedy this before Saturday or if I can get by without one. I would rather not invest money in a borrowed gun, but if you tell me I need one I'll see what I can do. Thanks in advance for your input.

RMOR, you definitely want a sling. A huge part of the techniques they teach involve proper sling usage in standing, seated and prone. And as someone who had never been taught that in 30 plus years of hunting/shooting, I can tell you it is an eye opener. The sling makes a huge difference.

Does your borrowed gun have sling swivels on it? I have an extra web sling I can bring and I am guessing the instructors will have access to extras as well.

Look forward to meeting you and your son Saturday morning. Looks like AWESOME weather for us.

ETA, I see you're bringing a 15-22. If it has a picatinny rail on the forearm I have a picatinny sling swivel you could use. You would then just need to attach the back of the sling to your butt stock or stock tube.

Last edited:
    Jan 25, 2010
    Just a lesson learned that I'll pass on if you don't have a sling and want to borrow one and buy your own swivels, get 1 1/4" swivels. This is for GI web slings, silent slings and most leather 1903 slings.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010

We'll have a sling we can loan you for the weekend. If you don't have the right size swivels we can jury-rig it with zip ties.

RMOR

Plinker
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    Thanks, dnurk! I appreciate the advice. It does have a picatinny rail and a fixed sling attachment on the stock. I'll look around tomorrow and see if I can't pick up a sling swivel for it. If I can't find one I may take you up on your offer. Again I really appreciate it. Looking forward to meeting you and everybody else.

RMOR

Plinker
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    We'll have a sling we can loan you for the weekend. If you don't have the right size swivels we can jury-rig it with zip ties.
    Thanks, spitfire51. I think I can probably get everything I need tomorrow but if not I may take you up on the sling. Thanks again.

RMOR

Plinker
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    Thanks for all the offers of equipment. I was able to get a sling swivel and sling today. Should be good to go. Thanks again!

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Thanks for all the offers of equipment. I was able to get a sling swivel and sling today. Should be good to go. Thanks again!

Awesome. Don't forget to bring the most important thing on their list.....a teachable attitude. Sounds easy but when they suggest trying something different from what you're used to it can be uncomfortable and feel unnatural. But their techniques have been tested since the military marksmanship training around WW2. You guys will have a great time.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Gear packed and heading to bed. Dreams of 40 well placed shots all hitting V's.......250 tomorrow.......heck I will be happy with a couple of 210 plus and learning a ton that I missed during my first shoot. It is going to be a great weekend. Look forward to sharing the line with you all.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Great first day. Weather was perfect, the instructors were awesome and I learned a ton. Thank you Spitfire, StagehandSteve, Gruntsoldier, and Josh(sorry Josh...I don't recall your INGO tag)

Two biggest lessons learned today:

1. Wearing a short sleeve shirt and using a Midway mat with the grippy surface at the front leads to raw elbows. Ugh. I will be wearing a long sleeve shirt tomorrow.

2. Tech Sights are awesome but the black front post + black targets + deteriorating vision = hard to confirm sight picture. No contrast. I shot way better on the red coats than i did on stage 3 and 4 of our one AQT today. I put on a little dab of white paint on the front post tonight and am anxious to see if that helps tomorrow.

Top Bottom