Have you seen the new Olympic starting pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    The new starting pistol for the 2012 Olympic games is a plastic "E-gun". It simulates a gunshot by using a light at the tip and a sound generating box to replicate the sound of a gunshot.

Guess those deadly, blank firing, starters pistols were to scary for the citizens of the crown. :D

omegae-gunstartingpistol.jpg

LINK:The Starting Pistol to be used at the Olympics is a Plastic E-Gun by Omega » Bob's Blitz

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This year, javelins are going to be Nerf, and archery is going to use those rubber suction cups on the arrows.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    This just seems like a natural evolution of technology. I don't think we have to chalk it up to some anti-gun attitude. After all, the runners just need to hear a signal, like the electronic buzz from the timer at USPSA matches. For all you know, the new starter signal device may be networked into some computer, so you can measure the lapsed time more accurately.

The starter pistol (the gunpowder variety) was just the technology available in the 20th century. Try and think up something small, reliable, really loud... Yep, a pistol.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    This just seems like a natural evolution of technology. I don't think we have to chalk it up to some anti-gun attitude. After all, the runners just need to hear a signal, like the electronic buzz from the timer at USPSA matches. For all you know, the new starter signal device may be networked into some computer, so you can measure the lapsed time more accurately.

The starter pistol (the gunpowder variety) was just the technology available in the 20th century. Try and think up something small, reliable, really loud... Yep, a pistol.

This is exactly it. Nothing anti-gun...all about the technology to get the timing system started accurately.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If the E-gun in the pic is the exact one used, it has the Omega (meaning "the end") sign on it. Maybe it is the end of common sense in London? I think I should replace all of my firearms with an E-gun. They would all be very safe then.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

The old starter pistols were wired into the clock too. If you watch an Olympic track event, you could see the wire hanging down from the pistol when the starter raised his arm. This is probably just an easier more integrated system.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    If the E-gun in the pic is the exact one used, it has the Omega (meaning "the end") sign on it. Maybe it is the end of common sense in London? I think I should replace all of my firearms with an E-gun. They would all be very safe then.

Omega is also the universally accepted sign for electrical resistance. Sort of makes sense to put a universally accepted electrical symbol on an electronic system.

Ω

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    The flash signals the start of the clock, not the sound.
    You can see the flash in the videos and replay and easily determine whether there is a false start or not
    The sound is for the runners.
    They use a similar orange looking thing at the local high school meets.
    I don't have a problem with it.
    It's not a dis to guns, just advancing technology.
    IMHO

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

Omega is also the universally accepted sign for electrical resistance. Sort of makes sense to put a universally accepted electrical symbol on an electronic system.

Ω

Omega is a watch company guys, the offcial time piece of the Olympics. And besides, James Bond wears one. :cool:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    And this is the island that has never been conquered??!

They are tough folks, at least the older generation. you don't get bombed by hitler into oblivion and refuse to quit without being tough

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    And this is the island that has never been conquered??!

They are tough folks, at least the older generation. you don't get bombed by hitler into oblivion and refuse to quit without being tough

Well, not in recent history.

The Romans, Normans and French have in the past.

Top Bottom