Have you seen the new Olympic starting pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This is exactly it. Nothing anti-gun...all about the technology to get the timing system started accurately.

Hrm. So a gunshot detector doesn't work well enough and they need a light detector?

I would think starting the time when the computer hears the noise is the best method since that's when the athletes hear it as well. I dunno

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    when I swam in high school the starter used a starters pistol, during the 500yd event
    the official "shot" the leader on the last lap which let everyone know the race was almost over, my son swam the last 4 years in high school - the starter used a button and a tone for start - and still "shot" the leader on the last lap of the 500 with a starters pistol........

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Funny side story...locally they have an "all-comers" track meet each Friday. Even the little ones can run. My 3.5 year old was lined up to run the 200m...gun goes off...puddle of pee forms on the track. :)

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    part of the reason is "fairness" If you look in the picture below you will see a small yellow speaker with a wire connected to it behind each runner. This is that each runner hears the shot at the same time and volume.

starting-blocks.jpg

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Hrm. So a gunshot detector doesn't work well enough and they need a light detector?

I would think starting the time when the computer hears the noise is the best method since that's when the athletes hear it as well. I dunno

Light travels faster than sound.
    Sound travels at a little more than 1100 feet per second depending on the air density.
    Now the starter is usually about 250 feet from the timing tower at a high school meet.
    It is probably farther away in the Olympics where everything is scaled bigger.
    If I have my maths right and if you go by sound, The clock could start by as much as .2 to .4 seconds off.
    That is a lot of inaccuracy for a big deal like the Olympics.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011

I'm pretty sure the timing system does not start based on the sound, but rather an electronic mechanism inside the gun. That goes for the old and new pistol.
    And as long as the time starts the same for everyone, all is good.

Edit: and what Hornett said earlier.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Light travels faster than sound.
    Sound travels at a little more than 1100 feet per second depending on the air density.
    Now the starter is usually about 250 feet from the timing tower at a high school meet.
    It is probably farther away in the Olympics where everything is scaled bigger.
    If I have my maths right and if you go by sound, The clock could start by as much as .2 to .4 seconds off.
    That is a lot of inaccuracy for a big deal like the Olympics.

That's actually a good description of the physics involved. I hadn't considered a remote timing mechanism. I guess I was assuming it was magically next to the start line. Thanks for the breakdown.

Top Bottom