Has anyone ever fired their gun in their house ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Never happened to me (knock on wood), but a buddy put a 5.56 thru the roof of his house. Since then I always tripple check my guns whenever I touch them. Even if its pull it out of safe to check something, its pull it out, check to make sure its empty, do whatever I needed to, check again to make sure it didn't spontaneously load itself, check a third time, dry fire in a safe direction, and back in the safe. Same thing for at the range when shooting. Fire off mag, check chamber, check chamber, dry fire (all this while pointing down range), then put in case. When I get home before cleaning or putting in corner, check chamber, check chamber. I may know the gun is unloaded, but the day I start counting on that is the day a hole appears in something.

kevinm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Charlestown
    I have the round it went in my garage, Its very hard for me to let it go I just keep thinking what if ..... But ammo in the same room I dry fire in never agine..

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Yup, I used to all the time at my parents house, they had a finished basement that opened to an unfinished area that was a dirt wall. There's lots of 22 bullets in that dirt...

Basements like that must have been fairly common at one time. we had the same thing in the basement of the house were I grew up until age 8 or so. We shot .22, .25, .38, and .45 down there. A LOT.

I remember that the sound of a shooting a .45 in a fairly small room was like getting kicked in the head by a mule.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    How can you practice draws and reaload with LIVE ammo in the room?
    That's the reason why you never do that.
    You always use inert rounds and make sure there is no live ammo in the room.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Had a Ruger P-85 and kept 1 mag loaded, and one unloaded( I think it had a mag disconnect) decided to take a nap......three hours later....woke up turned on the TV, and saw a certain anti-gun senator on there, grabbed my pistol to dry fire it at him, racked the slide....can you guess which mag I had placed in the gun before the nap?

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    A high school friend lived about 20 feet from a woods and we used to sit in the living room and shoot through the open windows with our .22's into the woods.

Where I live now I have taken quite a few groundhogs with the .223 from the window over the kitchen sink. After I got married the window ledge has been filled with figurines and other useless fancy junk. Now it’s easier to open the door and shoot.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Oh yeah, I did this playing with one of my fathers' guns when I was seven. Hole through the dresser and into the wall, where it settled. Behind that wall was my mother cooking dinner.

C'mon Que, she couldn't have been that bad a cook! :laugh:

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Sorry you had to learn the hard way. Glad your not in jail for killing your neighbor.

When practicing, ALWAYS, keep loaded ammo OUT of the room you are practicing in!

Thanks for being brave enough to share your story. Maybe it will prevent someone from doing the same thing.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Yep.

When I was in jr high, while big game hunting in my bedroom with my newly acquired 22mag rifle. Bullet went through the lamp (lion) and into the next room through the wall. My dad never repaired the wall as a reminder to me what can happen and my brother mended quickly since it was only a flesh wound. I'll never forget my mom screaming that I had just shot my brother and my dad asking if he was dead. When told no, he simply rolled over and went back to sleep.

T_V

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Isnt that everyones biggest fear. kinda freaks me out everytime I pull the slide back in the house. Have to always double check to see if there is a round in the chamber.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Yea I have, but I try to keep it to a minimum. It has been years since

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Years ago I negligently fired a Ruger P93 into a calendar on the wall of a basement bedroom. I was dry firing, and I KNEW there was nothing in the chamber, as I NEVER kept one in the chamber of that particular pistol.

WRONG. There was a round chambered, and I still don't remember when it got chambered. but there you go. It taught dumbass me a sharp lesson, a lesson I have retained. I am not proud of this story, but it does bear repeating.

Oh yeah.......... My ears did not ring a bit. In fact, the gun didn't seem loud at all in that closed in room. ?? That has always puzzled me. I believe it was a Remington Golden Saber I touched off, if memory serves.

kevinm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Charlestown
    that why I posted this to make sure everyone is aware of what there doing , I know there are some of you out there that say I would never do that , I was the same way that will never happen to me .. i hope someone learns from this like I have . just please everyone be safe.

kevinm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Charlestown
    it was loud , the good thing was it was my rounds for USPSA and and was a light load , 9mm 147gr 3.3gr of solo1000 soft shooting .no ware near full power.

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    Glad you or someone else wasn't hurt. I was taught to visually check the chamber every time before dry firing or when someone hands you an "empty" gun. If I haven't seen the empty chamber, it's loaded. I know I annoy some people when we are looking at a gun and they check to see if it is empty, then I do the same when they hand it to me. I'll check it again if it goes to someone else and then back to me. This habit has served me well so far.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    A little off topic, but I once knew an 'ol WWII vet that fired his handguns in his basement.... .22s to a .44 mag.

He once missed the trap he made and blew out his water heater !!!

Top Bottom