Has anyone ever fired their gun in their house ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevinm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Charlestown
    did the dumest thing ever today was practising my draw and reloads I grabed a mag with 3 shells in it by mistake , :ar15:and boom hole in the wall .. Man I feel stupit.. has anyone ever did anything like this ?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Wowzers. Glad nobody was hurt. Find out where that bullet ended up? And can you hear OK, or are your ears really ringing?

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I never have but it has happened in my old house. I came home late one night in high school and I found my dad sitting straight up on the couch a white faced. He pointed to the ceiling where there was a dime size hole showing. He then pointed to the corner of the room where his sharps 45-70 trap door was sitting. I looked at the gun, then the hole, then him, shook my head and walked down to my room...

ETA: We had to wait for the first rain to see if he hit a truss or not, it did.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Man, I'm glad to hear that you are alright. As was said, if you have neighbors close to your home, you should probably check to make sure they are alright or see if there is any damage to their property.

Oh yeah, I did this playing with one of my fathers' guns when I was seven. Hole through the dresser and into the wall, where it settled. Behind that wall was my mother cooking dinner.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    One time, a looong time ago, I was drinking whiskey and shot a fly on a coffee table with a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk. I think I got him too.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I have never done this with a firearm. This is why it is important to ALWAYS follow the 4 weapons safety rules.

Probably disclosing a little more than I care to here... but when I was in high school I had some friends over (2 girls and one guy) and one of the girls wanted to see my airpistol. She asked if she could shoot it and I said it wasn't loaded but I could put some air in it for her and she could shoot the air. I put in a CO2 cartridge and gassed it up and gave it to her (If you are following my story you will notice that I didn't check to see if it truly was unloaded). She shot a few times at my floor and then handed it to me telling me she had had enough. Being that I had recently returned from a paintball tournament I decided to muffle the sound while I shot the rest of the air out and put the gun away. I wrapped my shirt over the barrel and put my hand right at the end and pulled the trigger... Numbing pain shot up my arm as the BB went DEEP into my hand. I looked up and the guy was looking at me with his mouth open. "I saw the BBs parting the carpet," he said, "but it all happened so fast I couldn't stop you." I got the BB taken out of my hand and have a nice scar on the back of my hand (because it went so deep that they had to cut it out the back). Needles to say I learned my lesson and ALWAYS CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK to make sure the gun is unloaded, and then I TRIPPLE CHECK.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I have never done this with a firearm. This is why it is important to ALWAYS follow the 4 weapons safety rules.

Probably disclosing a little more than I care to here... but when I was in high school I had some friends over (2 girls and one guy) and one of the girls wanted to see my airpistol. She asked if she could shoot it and I said it wasn't loaded but I could put some air in it for her and she could shoot the air. I put in a CO2 cartridge and gassed it up and gave it to her (If you are following my story you will notice that I didn't check to see if it truly was unloaded). She shot a few times at my floor and then handed it to me telling me she had had enough. Being that I had recently returned from a paintball tournament I decided to muffle the sound while I shot the rest of the air out and put the gun away. I wrapped my shirt over the barrel and put my hand right at the end and pulled the trigger... Numbing pain shot up my arm as the BB went DEEP into my hand. I looked up and the guy was looking at me with his mouth open. "I saw the BBs parting the carpet," he said, "but it all happened so fast I couldn't stop you." I got the BB taken out of my hand and have a nice scar on the back of my hand (because it went so deep that they had to cut it out the back). Needles to say I learned my lesson and ALWAYS CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK to make sure the gun is unloaded, and then I TRIPPLE CHECK.

OUCH!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Yeah. I was so upset, not because it hurt, but because my dad was a police officer and had taught me how to shoot and I knew the real pain would come when he found out how stupid I was...
    I ended up being wrong about him, he figured I had beat myself up enough over telling him myself that I didn't need any other punishment.

JJ1977

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    NE Indy
    I am glad that no one was hurt it in this manner. Closest incident that happened to myself was when I thought I had an empty rifle while deployed in Iraq, while I started clearing it, I shot it through the ceiling. Talk about forgeting the fundelmentals of safety, I now make sure I check it twice or three times while clearing my weapons. Lucky no one was hurt in my incident and made me think more about gun safety.

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    WOW.

Nope, never done that before! I tend to pay close attention to things where carelessness can lead to death. I have been curious though about what kind of hearing damage you might suffer if you ever had to shoot indoors.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Yup, I used to all the time at my parents house, they had a finished basement that opened to an unfinished area that was a dirt wall. There's lots of 22 bullets in that dirt...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Back in the days when I lived in a farm house, and had a trap range and 500 yard marked target in the back yard, there were many times I would open the back door and pop-off a few reloads to see how well I was doing. Always warned my wife first, and always with eye and ear protection.

Still was loud!!!!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This reminds me what I learned in a Defensive Pistol Class. Every day you don't have an accidental discharge, is just one day closer to when you WILL have one.

Just remember to follow the 4 rules. And when you practice your draws and dry firing, NEVER have live ammo in the same room.

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    When we were teenagers a group of us were out hunting rabbits and went in an old abandoned farm house my buddy shot his 12 gauge at the wall and man our ears rang the rest of the day:): those are stories we don't tell are kids

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I personally have not done it, but was at another member's house and he accidentally (stupidly) discharged his Taurus .45 in his kitchen through the wall, accrossed the hood of both of our trucks, and into his garage and stopped when it hit a truss. Lol. He had just brought the Taurus home and thought the trigger was broken because it would not dry fire. So he put a loaded mag in the gun to see if the trigger felt any different when chambered, and BOOM, he scared the living s*#| out of me, but scared himself more then anything. The gun was always pointed in a safe direction, but it was still a surprise when it went off. I think he was more scared of what his wife was going to say if she found out. Still don't think she knows to this day.

asquires2

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not in a house but in a car with the windows up. At the time I carried a 40 cal . Me the wife and a neighbor were headed out. I take my pistol off my side and laid it on the arm rest. My friend asked to see it so I take the clip out and make sure its not loaded before I hand it to him in the back seat. Once he hands it back to me , I point the gun towards the windshield and rack went to rack a round , that round went throw the window and into the house across the alley from me . Luckily the house had been empty for a few years but we couldnt hear for about 20 minutes. The wifey wasnt a happy camper!

Top Bottom