• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Mcguire AFB NJ
    So I am going to get rid of my ducati monster and I want to get a cruiser. Looking at the prices there are a lot of nice bikes out there. My question is compared to other bikes is a Harley Davidson worth the price. just want to hear some opinions on what you all have owned and any suggestions on any motorcycle.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This is another argument with no winners, just like the Ford/Chevy, Glock/1911, Coke/Pepsi arguments. The best advice is to try before you buy and see what suits you.

I've owned a Honda CBR600 and it was a great bike for what it was. I also owned a HD Road King and it was a great bike for what it was. I miss them both.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Whatever you do, make sure you chop off the exhaust pipes. Maybe weld two inches of straight pipe straight to the header. Oh, and be sure to do that thing where you're still on the gas while hitting the clutch at a stop sign or stop light, just so it's louder and people look at you. Everyone loves that sound! Me too, especially when the rider is revving the engine past my house at two in the morning!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Whatever you do, make sure you chop off the exhaust pipes. Maybe weld two inches of straight pipe straight to the header. Oh, and be sure to do that thing where you're still on the gas while hitting the clutch at a stop sign or stop light, just so it's louder and people look at you. Everyone loves that sound! Me too, especially when the rider is revving the engine past my house at two in the morning!

Yeah it seems some riders think the thing on the right handlebar is a volume control.:dunno:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I am a die hard harley fan. That being said there are only two ways to go on a long range touring bike. A hard bagger with some really comfortable seating or a gold wing. I am not saying a Harley isn't comfortable, but it isn't set up for long range off the lot IMHO.

How much for the monster?

A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    picture.php

picture.php

I been riding this 2004 VTX 1800C for over 3 yrs now. I got it out of Indy, 4500 miles for $6500 at the time. Now have 14K+ miles on it. NEVER have had a problem yet. I have added a 2up windshield and modified the seat. I took it to the Dragon in TN last yr. 1600 miles round trip, the cycle never missed a beat. 1/2 the price of an HD, but I am not saying anything bad about HD's.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I had a Suzuki Volusia/Boulevard 800. Very underpowered for such a big bike, but I loved it. Now I ride a Kawasaki KLR 650 dual sport, but if your talking about Harleys your probably not even considering the frog donkey.

Harleys have massive dealer support so if anything goes wrong its fairly easy to get fixed. But personally im done with cruisers. Id like to try out a sport touring bike, but im sold pretty heavy on the dual sport idea. But motorcycles are a very personal issue, an issue that you really need to settle with a lot of test rides. Find a dealer that doesn't mind you testing a lot of bikes, and test em all.

Also don't be afraid to buy from a private buyer, just have a local dealer check it out for you. You can save a lot of money if you dont mind a bike that is already broken in. :twocents:

Finally, are you set on cruiser or have you looked at a dedicated sport touring bike like the Concourse?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Phil, I've never owned a HD, but I would like to offer my humble opinion. If you can afford it, get it! Life is about experiences and if you are a MC enthusiast, there is no reason to sit in your rocking chair at 90 years old saying, "I wish I had owned a Harley." Some people like them and some don't, but if you are not in the latter camp, I ask, why not get one?

Also, those who complain about the pipes probably have never ridden one and if given the chance would probably be the first to sit at the light and rev the engine. ;)

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Also, those who complain about the pipes probably have never ridden one and if given the chance would probably be the first to sit at the light and rev the engine. ;)

Agreed 100%
    No sane person can own any cruiser and not want louder pipes. Its against the laws of manhood! :rockwoot:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I had a Suzuki Volusia/Boulevard 800. Very underpowered for such a big bike, but I loved it. Now I ride a Kawasaki KLR 650 dual sport, but if your talking about Harleys your probably not even considering the frog donkey.

Harleys have massive dealer support so if anything goes wrong its fairly easy to get fixed. But personally im done with cruisers. Id like to try out a sport touring bike, but im sold pretty heavy on the dual sport idea. But motorcycles are a very personal issue, an issue that you really need to settle with a lot of test rides. Find a dealer that doesn't mind you testing a lot of bikes, and test em all.

Also don't be afraid to buy from a private buyer, just have a local dealer check it out for you. You can save a lot of money if you dont mind a bike that is already broken in. :twocents:

Finally, are you set on cruiser or have you looked at a dedicated sport touring bike like the Concourse?

I want an R1200GS but you can't get cruise control on it.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Going from a Monster to an HD??? Uggh.

This is what you should be considering!
    Ducati Diavel - Ducati

Better value in my opinion. Better brakes, better suspension, better motor, better everything.

For a little more, check out a Triumph Rocket III. I'm generally not a cruiser guy, but this bike changed my world when I rode it. I worked at a Ducati/Triumph shop for a few summers, and have ridden it back to back with a couple HDs that were traded in. Not even close in terms of comfort and performance.

In my experience in the industry, HD sells you a lot of image. Nothing wrong with that, and if you want to "buy the lifestyle" I can support that. (Ducati does it too, but in my experience give you a better bike to go with it) So, to your question "is an HD worth the price?" you'll have to decide what you want to get for your money. For some folks, the history, heritage, community, and pride of owning an HD is totally worth it. If those things sound like they have value to you, and you're willing to pay a premium for that, than maybe the HD is worth it.

But, if you're like me and prefer performance, design, and better components for your dollar, you'll want to look elsewhere. Ducati, Triumph, BMW, or any of the Big 4 Japanese makers will give you better "value" if you take all the HD intangibles out of the equation.

That's my $.02 based on seat time on quite a few makes and models. I'm not bashing HDs and can appreciate why people like them. I consider anyone on 2 wheels a kindred spirit. But for my tastes, an HD wouldn't be worth the premium. For a cruiser, I'd opt for the Rocket III or the Diavel.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I want an R1200GS but you can't get cruise control on it.

Have you used a vista throttle lock? I used one on my cruise out to CA, works like a charm and they only cost like $30. Very easy and safe to use if you install it right. But ya the BMW dual sports are the pinnacle of dual sport/adventure bikes in most minds (including my own).

pill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Mcguire AFB NJ
    Thanks for all the input guys and yes the history and lifestyle have a big part of it i grew up with my dad always riding a Harley and working in a shop i can remember waxing the Bikes in the show room and always thinking I cant wait till i get my first Harley. on that note it is alot of money and there are other choices i have been looking into the VTX alot and found alot of them around here. I think im going to have to ride a couple of diffident bikes. unfortunately i dont think the dealers will let me go on a 100 mile test ride lol.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Have you used a vista throttle lock? I used one on my cruise out to CA, works like a charm and they only cost like $30. Very easy and safe to use if you install it right. But ya the BMW dual sports are the pinnacle of dual sport/adventure bikes in most minds (including my own).

I have a true cruise control on mu ultra and won't ever go without it again. I can understand you don't want cruise while offroar but 90% of a gs's life will be on asphalt. There's an aftermarket cruise out there for it but it's $1000.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I have a true cruise control on mu ultra and won't ever go without it again. I can understand you don't want cruise while offroar but 90% of a gs's life will be on asphalt. There's an aftermarket cruise out there for it but it's $1000.

Their are several electronic cruise controls that can be fitted to a GS. Everything from a CCS Audiovox at less than $100 to over a thousand like you mentioned. IIRC I paid a little over $200 for the setup I put on my 1200GS several years ago. I think that BMW would almost double the sales of the GS if it offered cruise as a factory option. (but probably robbing sale of their other bikes):twocents:

Top Bottom