• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Their are several electronic cruise controls that can be fitted to a GS. Everything from a CCS Audiovox at less than $100 to over a thousand like you mentioned. IIRC I paid a little over $200 for the setup I put on my 1200GS several years ago. I think that BMW would almost double the sales of the GS if it offered cruise as a factory option. (but probably robbing sale of their other bikes):twocents:

I built my new house on gravel and have to ride a half mile to get to chip and seal. Not fun on a big ultra. I'd like a gs as it would laugh at gravel. I don't really want to put an aftermarket cruise on one. I'll most likely go with an r1200rt for my next bike as 99.9% of my riding would be on road.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Phil, I've never owned a HD, but I would like to offer my humble opinion. If you can afford it, get it! Life is about experiences and if you are a MC enthusiast, there is no reason to sit in your rocking chair at 90 years old saying, "I wish I had owned a Harley." Some people like them and some don't, but if you are not in the latter camp, I ask, why not get one?

Also, those who complain about the pipes probably have never ridden one and if given the chance would probably be the first to sit at the light and rev the engine. ;)

Sure, ride what you like, and if a HD is what you like then go for it.

As to the loud pipes, I'm not impressed with ANYTHING (or anybody) that makes a bunch of noise and can't back it up with equal performance.
    For that kind of noise it better make 200+ horsepower and be the dominant bike on the road.

I'd be embarrassed to sit at a light revving up straight pipes on an under powered engine that's all show and no go.
    Especially when I know that most of the people who have to listen to it DON'T think I'm cool, they just think I'm an *sshole.

This "South Park" episode, "The F Word" sums it up... LOL :-)
    The F Word (Season 13, Episode 12) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

But SERIOUSLY, loud motorcycles and riders who intentionally make all the noise they can with them, does more to turn the general public OFF to us who ride than anything.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Not only should the bike have 200+RWHP, but you as the rider should be able to do this.

hypermotard_xaus.jpg

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I prefer to build my own, I get exactly what I like that way.

I have built 4 of my last 5 bikes.

But, when I have gotten profitable offers I sell them and build another as that is my hobby and it keeps me busy since I am retired.

I have kept a pretty much stock Harley as my second bike. I like the Dyna family, they handle well, ride nice, and are in the middle of the HD price line. I don't carve up twisty roads or have passion for going real fast, so my HD based bikes fit me well, as I just like to ride.

When I build it always takes awhile as I either buy American parts or make my own, however some parts you have no choice you end up with a non USA made part because they just aren't made here anymore.

PS, My bikes have baffles or mufflers and I don't consider the right twisty thingy as a volume control, and 2am, naw I don't like to ride after dark anymore if I don't have to as thats when the deer come out.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    As for the bike it's like a gun you have to try it to find what you like best.

This loud pipe thing is getting old though. Let me start by saying I don't sit and rev my bike at stop sings or lights(unless your on the phone and I'm trying to **** you off) when I'm in a residential area I purposely short shift to keep the noise down. Out in the country or on the highway different story. It does not matter what kind of bike there are always going to be a** holes trying to make noise not just Harley's. If you don't like loud pipes, well get over it not everyone thinks the same just like guns, cigarettes, alcohol. There's always going to be people on the I don't like them side.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've had a crotch rocket (Yamaha FZR600) and will end up getting a shovelhead, most likely a lowrider (maybe an FL) in the future. I say get what you want and enjoy it. If you can afford the top of the line screaming eagle whatever plus $50,000 in chinamart chrome and that makes you happy, go for it. If you can afford any bike and you want an 883 low, go for it. Ride what you can afford and truly enjoy.

I really like H-D (even the AMF years). Don't worry about what others might think of what you choose to ride.

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Not only should the bike have 200+RWHP, but you as the rider should be able to do this.

hypermotard_xaus.jpg

I totally could do that on my Suzuki, for about .0034 of a second and the the real stunt riding would start. Flips, cartwheels, dragging both knees at the same time, and the a high speed trip to the ER.:D

coltsfan34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Middletown
    My current bike is a 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 88 SE (1500 cc)cruiser and I love it. In my younger days (a loooong time ago) i had crotch rockets, then sport tourers, then cruisers. I have owned Harleys- just so I could say I had one-Suzukis, Yamaha dirt bikes and a couple Kaws. IMHO, you cant go wrong with the Suzuki or Kaw for a cruiser type bike with the $/reliability factor. I ride my bike hard - i'm a little over 300#, and when I am done, I clean her up and put her away till next time.It is rock sold and i havent done anything but routine maint on it since ive had it.Alot of my friends have Harleys and most spend more time and $ on Maint then I do. But, to paraphrase what others have said "to each his own." Ride a few different ones and go from there. And you may be surprised how far you can get on a test ride- go to a multi line dealer and let them know you are ready to buy but not sure what you want and need to drive a few. When I am selling a bike, i will let the potential buyer ride it for a while - if i dont know him, I take one of my other bikes along for a ride with him.:twocents:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks for all the input guys and yes the history and lifestyle have a big part of it i grew up with my dad always riding a Harley and working in a shop i can remember waxing the Bikes in the show room and always thinking I cant wait till i get my first Harley. on that note it is alot of money and there are other choices i have been looking into the VTX alot and found alot of them around here. I think im going to have to ride a couple of diffident bikes. unfortunately i dont think the dealers will let me go on a 100 mile test ride lol.
    I don't know what your location is, but the Harley dealer in Plainfield rents bikes by the hour , day or week... Thats a pretty good test drive!! You can even rent more than one in a day or weekend to get a feel for different bikes.
    As far as holding value and lasting.... I bought my 1978 flh back in 1987, still have it and it's worth about five times what I payed for it, and it still runs great!
    I could never bring myself to spend the bucks on a brand new bike, I would suggest getting one at least 3 or 4 years old and let someone else eat the depreciation! Get a Harley and you'll probably love it, and if not, they are easy to sell!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am a die hard harley fan. That being said there are only two ways to go on a long range touring bike. A hard bagger with some really comfortable seating or a gold wing. I am not saying a Harley isn't comfortable, but it isn't set up for long range off the lot IMHO.

How much for the monster?

You've obviously never ridden a full dresser!!! Take a cruise on a H.D. Ultra Classic or any dresser and I think you might change you mind.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    In 1999, I bought a new Super Glide. You have to at least put stage one on the Harleys. I have since put stage two (dumb, not needed). Went from 60 hp to 95. I also replaced all of the brushed aluminum with chrome. Alo replaced the stock pipes with the screaming eagles.

WillyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Depends on what appeals to you and how much your willing to pay. I myself am a fan of Honda. None of them are cheap but you can generally (not always or with every model) buy a Honda (excluding Goldwing) for about half the price of a Harley, and you get a liquid cooled and mostly shaft driven bike. I know a lot of guys don't like either of those but IMO liquid cooled gives an obvious advantage, and not that a chain is terribly difficult to maintain, having a a shaft drive will require virtually no maintainance (no sprckets, chain, or belts to replace either). VTX is an outstanding choice, I hope to upgrade to the VTX 1800R someday (fuel-injected is also kind of sweet) Whatever you get ride safe and enjoy.

WillyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    I should probably note that not all Honda's are fuel injected but certain model's such as the vtx 1800 variants (vtx 1300's are carb'd) and Goldwings are and I don't even know about their 2011 linuep. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to appreciate the extra care that a carb takes, I love to work on my bike no doubt, but I'd rather ride more and maintain less.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I owned a 95 Heritage Softail for a year and a half. That POS was in the shop more than it was under my ass. I looked into the VTX1800 and the Yamaha Roadstar Warrior, and finally traded the chromed turd in on the Warrior and never looked back. I cant say enough about how impressed I was with the performance and handling of the Warrior. That said, if I were to do it all over I would go with a Yamaha VMax for my next bike.

Last edited:

pill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2009
    Mcguire AFB NJ
    well it finnally happened yesterday i pick up an amazing Harley its a 2004 V rod and it is sweet and was the perfect price. i will post picks at a later time

A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Pics? I like the looks of the Vrods. I have to admit that I looked at them while shopping for my VTX 1800C. But the price and the complaints from taller riders kept me away. Good luck with the new ride.

Top Bottom