• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Very nice rifle STopaz182! Looks to be in excellent condition, too!

A bit off topic but related to hardware stores...
    Back when I was just a wee plinker I'd go to town with Grandpa to the hardware store. He'd get something along the line of 6 screws, 9 nails, a horseshoe, 11 22 rounds and 2 sticks of dynamite with a cap. Place had about 15' ceilings and the walls were lined with bins and boxes of all kinds of stuff. He'd tell the old man who owned the place what size screws and nails he wanted and the old guy would climb a sliding ladder and buzz from one box to the next getting what was needed. The boom stuff was kept in a big brass box in a corner of the store well away from the pot belly stove.
    Oh, almost forgot. Included in the order was a bag of unpopped popcorn that when we got home was made in a popper that came from, yep, that old store.
    Store is still there and IIRC (been a long time since I've been there) it is still owned by the same family.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Sounds like you have the deluxe version of my rifle (model 50). Does it have checkering and a cheekpiece? It's great you have something like that handed down from your Dad. My avatar is my Dad's colt revolver passed down to me when he went home.
    Yup, Hand Checkered, Cheekpiece & the Bbl is Chrome-Lined. This & his Garand are the Special parts of my "collection"

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Years ago I had a Ted Williams lever gun, in 30/30, I think it was made by Marlin, but it was 40 plus years ago, maybe someone on here can tell me who made the Ted Williams 30/30's...made in the 70's, I'm sure, as this was 1982ish, oddly enough I traded a Mossberg 600 for it. Also my father in law left my son a Ted Williams 20g shotgun, I think it is Model 75 semi auto.....
    I checked it was made by Winchester, a Sears version of the 1400.....he doesn't like it, might have to find him another and trade for it....

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Those were in fact the good old days. You could get some pretty decent guns on the cheap in those days. Ahhh memories.

STopaz1982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2021
    Hendricks County
    It looks like Montgomery Ward's "Western Field High Power Rifle" was also an FN Mauser based rifle. A standard plane model and a deluxe model with hand checkering and a cheekpiece.

R.C.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Danville, IN
    I know many hardware and department stores sold their own branded firearms that were manufactured for them by some of the major gun companies of the day. I recently acquired this Sears branded model 50, 30-06 from their J. C. Higgins line of guns. This gun has an FN Mauser action and a High Standard barrel. I believe it was produced by High Standard as well. This one was made in the early fifties. It is a fine rifle in great shape with it's original 2 1/2 power scope (also J. C. Higgins) made by Weaver. View attachment 181296 View attachment 181297 View attachment 181298 What other store brand guns are out there?

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I grew up in a home without guns. Dad would go hunting every couple years with my uncle, his BIL. He always used one of my uncles shotguns.
    One of my favorite childhood memories was on occasion me and dad would have to stop after church at the Western Auto in Mars Hill. They had a bunch of guns on one wall and pistols in the counter. I always dreamed of getting a gun back then but I was probably only 6 or 8 years old. It took another 10 years to get my first. I know it was a Western Auto 22lr bolt action. No idea what ever happened to it but it’s been gone a long time. I wish I still had it! Some great memories of plinking with it!

Matt

rxbdwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Montgomery Ward had Western Field shotguns. I have my father's 20ga pump. From the design and markings I would bet it is a Mossberg.
    I also have my dad's Western Field 20 ga. pump. Beside the brand it is marked is marked "manufactured by Browning".

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have an Eastern Arms 20 GA shotgun my grandfather purchased from Sears around 1910. He told me it cost him $5.95. It is still in damn fine shape.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have a J.C. Higgins 12ga and my son has a Higgins .22 bolt action. Both decent...and inexpensive at the time, guns. Examples of the value you used to be able to get for a really good price.

Top Bottom