Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Sorry Friend.

look in to something like this:

I've got a shotgun mounted to my bedroom closet wall in this. The rest of my stuff is secured in locking containers. Nothing is ever thief proof, but it was sure take them a lot of effort to get at it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry to hear about it, man. That sucks.
    I hope they take a ND to the nuts and bleed out.

And dont think we are piling on. We arent, even though it may feel like it.

Another vote for even one of the steel lockers bolted down. These clowns dont want to waste their time, they want in and out in a hurry.

Two things to help others:

At best a Door Devil. I think all the big box stores sell a variant. That prevents them kicking it in. At least get some #8x 3 inch wood screws and replace both the strike plate screws as well as the hinge screws. One kick and the standard screws will allow the door frame to give way. Secure the strikes to the 2x4s beneath and good luck kicking it in.

And for sliding glass doors, 3M makes a great laminate that can be put on that prevents the glass from shattering and releasing. Well, the glass still shatters, but its held together by the laminate which is installed all the way to the edge under the mount, which keeps the shards in one giant piece, still attached to the door. At that point if you want in, you gotta poke holes around the perimeter with a crowbar to cut through. And that takes too much time.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I get what you're saying, but I don't know how to get a safe into this house. Or how, overall, it's worth it.
    That sucks and the people at fault are the lowlife thieves. Hard lesson for you but don't let the comments make you feel like it was your fault.

Harden the doors and they just use the windows. Walked into my home many years ago with my young son while the thieves were there. They fled out the back as we entered through the front. This was before I carried and before I owned much of value. Today that would be an unpleasant encounter if I walked in on the thieves. Hardened doors, cameras, alarms help me feel safer but evil people are still evil.

A real safe was not in my budget and I did not want to spend more on the safe than the cost of my guns. Looked at some of the inexpensive "safes" and they looked like high school lockers that could be opened with a stout screwdriver. Chose a job box that fit perfectly in a closet and holds all my guns. Layered the bottom with full ammo cans and this is too heavy to lift and move. Added a chain in back for extra comfort.

Knaack.jpg

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Safes are expensive and God awful heavy, but you know your guns and valuables are secured.
    I grew up just down the road from your location. Gardner Park was a hang out when in my teens.
    Beef up your home security as that area has really changed. Hang in there and good luck sir.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Thats sucks, won't live in a city, but many get robbed out here in small towns and the country as well. For many decades I had no safe, and knew people with safes and theives would just break into the safe or drag it out and take the whole thing. So in my old house I cut into a interior wall, cleared it out and had my guns in there, paneling boards camouflaged perfectly...no one would ever find them. I could keep one out for protection, usually a handgun and take that to work and leave locked in car...so no guns could be found by a thief when I wasn't home. Gotta prepare and think ahead and expect the worse. I felt my guns were safer hid than in a safe...if you can't find them you can't get them. Also it only took 10 seconds to get to my rifles in the wall....and only a son and good friend knew where they were all those years.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That sucks and the people at fault are the lowlife thieves. Hard lesson for you but don't let the comments make you feel like it was your fault.

Harden the doors and they just use the windows. Walked into my home many years ago with my young son while the thieves were there. They fled out the back as we entered through the front. This was before I carried and before I owned much of value. Today that would be an unpleasant encounter if I walked in on the thieves. Hardened doors, cameras, alarms help me feel safer but evil people are still evil.

A real safe was not in my budget and I did not want to spend more on the safe than the cost of my guns. Looked at some of the inexpensive "safes" and they looked like high school lockers that could be opened with a stout screwdriver. Chose a job box that fit perfectly in a closet and holds all my guns. Layered the bottom with full ammo cans and this is too heavy to lift and move. Added a chain in back for extra comfort.

View attachment 209051
    Plus you could bolt it to the floor if you wanted another layer of theft resistance!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Plus you could bolt it to the floor if you wanted another layer of theft resistance!
    Good Idea and wish I could.

Older ranch on a concrete slab with hot water heat in the concrete floor. I am sure I would hit a pipe when drilling as I am kind of lucky that way.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Older ranch on a concrete slab with hot water heat in the concrete floor. I am sure I would hit a pipe when drilling as I am kind of lucky that way.

Cannot anchor?

Trip wires between the safe and the floor and/or trip wires between the safe and the wall.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County

Maybe OT, but I’ve been looking at upgrading my gun safe and moving my smaller one out into the garage. It floods periodically, so I want to raise it up when I do so.

I’m not sure if it would work but I’ve considered laying a couple rows of blocks and filling in with concrete, then securing the safe to that.

Though I guess you’d still want to pin the new slab to the old with rebar.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My tools are unsecured for easy access should I need them. My toys are reasonably secured.
    Space has always been an issue for us, so we had 3 smaller safes all were secured. We started with the steel locker cabinets, and I spent some time hardening them, so they were more work than time permitted to pry open. They were secured to the walls. StakOn products. When we stepped up to real safes, I found some that could be moved with a good 2 wheel cart and some effort. I bought them 1 at a time in an effort to limit my ability to have "TOO" many guns...:lmfao: but that just morphed into needing more safe's.

OP you can find some decent security in a size that works for you if you look. I think we are all on the same page here when we say secure them. Now we have more guns roaming the streets in the hands of Ferrell humans with no honor or conscience. (Sp) and shame on that LEO that does not secure his. Shame on him.

A home security camera system is not that expensive unless you add monitors etc. We have an 8 camera system. Terrorists house next door has the same system, and we share the on line ap so we can see everything.
    This is how we address this. You do as you feel comfortable but please secure the guns.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

A real safe was not in my budget and I did not want to spend more on the safe than the cost of my guns.

My first safe easily exceeded the cost of my guns, but I had two inherited ones that would be irreplaceable. I was more concerned with fire than theft, given I lived in a literal shack in the woods where it would be ash and memories before the volunteer fire department figured out how to get there.

You can't prevent thieves, only make it harder for them. The harder it is and the less time they have, the less stuff they get and the more likely they pick someone else.

On the topic of "thieves only hit once", that's sometimes true. There are pros who will wait for insurance to replace all your stuff then hit you a second time a few months later. More rare, but it does occur.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That Kaack Jobmaster looks to be a reasonable "safe", but not big enough if you have long guns. It's only 36" wide. Or if you have a larger collection, you're not going to fit them all in that.

But if the size is fine, the price might be kinda high for some people. At that price you might as well go with something like SecureIt, which has the dimensions suitable for rifles. But the Jobmaster looks more secure than the SecureIt.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I lost two guns that were in a pistol safe but not bolted down properly
    I have a full size liberty safe in the house. Getting it moved in was by far hardest part. Even the local Liberty dealer only offered curb side delivery (which is zero help). I had to hire a moving company that sent three beefy guys and I still had to help. That was probably 10 years ago and the best firearms related decision I've made. We keep our EDC and bed stand guns in quick accesses handgun safes. MCGrease08 provides a good reminder that I need to get around to bolting those down. It's been on my list for too long.

My kids have moved out but my wife and I are strict about having every firearm either secured or under our personal control at all times.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    That Kaack Jobmaster looks to be a reasonable "safe", but not big enough if you have long guns. It's only 36" wide. Or if you have a larger collection, you're not going to fit them all in that.

But if the size is fine, the price might be kinda high for some people. At that price you might as well go with something like SecureIt, which has the dimensions suitable for rifles. But the Jobmaster looks more secure than the SecureIt.
    Well they make all sizes and there are other brands too but I agree there are less expensive options and more expensive options and it worked for me in the location I had available. Shopped around online, big box stores and Harbor Freight type places. Actually found the cheapest price at local Mill Supply and did not have to deal with shipping.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Neighbor's video camera picked them up walking up the street in masks, went straight into my back yard and kicked in my admittedly pathetic back door. Stole my stuff and brazen walked down the street holding it all - incl. 2 ARs! - in their hands in broad 445pm daylight. Nice.

Just further evidence that we, as a society, have so much crime because crime is so tolerated in wide swathes of our society. Can you imagine this burglary taking place in an area with neighbors involved and willing to make a stand for each other? To *at least* call 911 and report suspicious activity leading up the buglary? It'd be nigh impossible. Cops will get the blame, but until the general citizenry is ready to intervene with a least a 'hue and cry' and then cooperate as witnesses, cops are well behind the power curve.

You've no idea how many Murders are 'solved' but can't be cleared or prosecuted because known witnesses didn't see nuffin...

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I’m not sure if it would work but I’ve considered laying a couple rows of blocks and filling in with concrete, then securing the safe to that.
    To me it's a matter of deterrence. Anything you can do to make it tougher for the crook or slow them down is helpful.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Like BBI says, the most anyone can hope to do is slow them down. Any one that has used a grinder with the right wheel, knows you can cut through most any steel out there. It just takes time.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well they make all sizes and there are other brands too but I agree there are less expensive options and more expensive options and it worked for me in the location I had available. Shopped around online, big box stores and Harbor Freight type places. Actually found the cheapest price at local Mill Supply and did not have to deal with shipping.
    Well, actually I was glad you posted it. I'm kinda interested because I have a use for something like that. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom