Happy Opening Day for Indiana's Archery Season!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Itching to get out but this is my weekend to work. I'm oFf next Friday though and have a Fri/Sat hunt and camp planned.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Fixin' to hit it boys. This video's a little gun heavy for opening day of bow season, but still a pretty good tune. I'll leave you with it:

[video=youtube;Tb8__ItK9oM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Tb8__ItK9oM[/video]

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Saw a number of optimistic hunters on the road today, blinds, stands and ATVs in trailers or in pick up beds.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No deer, but I picked these while in the "blind."

20151001_201849_zpsxm8h6zfr.jpg

I set the x-bow and buckets in the garden. Decided gloves were needed, so I headed back to the barn. Nice mature doe stood looking at me in the front yard, twenty yards out from where I'd just passed, x-bow in hand. :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure she was laughing at me.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Weather is suppose to be similar tomorrow. Did you need thermals this morning or just pants and shirt/jacket?

Sorry I didn't get back. I didn't use thermals and I got chilled. That wind will take the heat right out of you.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    This wind has been ****ty. Complete wrong direction for most of my stands. I do have one I can hunt, but the tree was movin big time. Moved to ground and it was a lil more calm, but no deer sightings. They are planting wheat in the field next to me. Which usually acts like a big food plot in the evenings.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Two days, too much wind, still to leafy, add rain to it this morning, seen no deer, but I love it!!! It's great to be back in my stands....and a big thanks to Gore-Tex :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Got out this morning. 9 am a little button came by.
    And I mean little. Looked minuscule at 18 yards.
    Proly 50# on the hoof.
    Other than that, swarmed by Pineys.
    Ignored me...........thought one was gonna hop on my lap.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Had 2 young bucks come in from my left of Friday morning. They were in a small patch of very small trees and so did not have a shot on either. Thought they came in along a trail at the bottom of the hill. Set up a small area that overlooked the trail about 20 yards away behind a big tree.. Thought for sure, they would come right by around the same time. Well they popped up in the small patch of young trees to my right about 30 mins earlier than on Friday. They were about 10 yards away. Never saw where they came from. Saw where they went, onto another property. Figured that they came in along a small creek that is about 3 1/2 feet down in the ravine next to the trail I thought they came in on. Probably using the ravine for cover. No place for a stand so I moved some small branches along a small patch of higher ground in the ravine where they crossed both days. Put branches in front and behind where I will stand. Either will go out Friday morning or next Sunday morning. I am hoping to get the one with the high tight basket rack. Its a 7 or 8 pt but it is high and narrow. Should get some good meat off of it.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Not as windy today, but still no deer sighted... trail cam showing plenty of night movement, nothing outstanding but plenty of freezer meat :). Out for another try in AM. can't make it this evening.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Sorry I've been out so long, been out of town. Opening day I was able to get out the evening and had a ball. Saw three 'yotes, passle of squirrels and one doe that managed to meander around long enough to offer a perfect 25yd shot that won her one free trip home in my truck. Not a bad way to kick off the fall 2015 season.

She's not very big, but she'll taste just fine.

And, as you can see, the RamCats did their job just fine.

Also managed to pinwheel a fox squirrel that was just asking to go home with me too.

I was actually more proud of the 18 yard pinwheel on the squirrel than the 25 yard shot on the doe.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got up early (2 hrs sleep) because I had front row tickets to the show.............Squirrelapalooza 2015!

Pineys all over for 1st hr, then the fox squirrels, then 2 small deer, then all the squirrels playing NASCAR and or B17 pilots (bombing with walnuts).

Even a hawk setting up shop in the middle didn't phase them. No warning barks, no change in activity. They just kept on keepin' on.

Hawk flew off.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Made it out yesterday morning. Was a total joke. Tried to put my new climber up as quiet as possible. Got halfway up the tree and dropped my dam quiver. So back down I went, ended up sitting on the ground till about 930 then proceeded to still hunt into the wind up to my cameras. Changed those cards and came home empty handed. I had three does on one camera the evening before. Only two shots of bucks, a lil 7 pointer and a nicer one that I couldnt tell about. Both buck photos were right at 7 am under a huge hickory tree. I have been watching the wind and waiting to hunt my best spot. Finally we get the right wind and what do I see about 3 pm yesterday?? My uncle riding his four wheeler up to the stand I was heading to. (Not his property) I rent the farm and am the only one with permission. :xmad: SO my season hasnt started off the best.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Saw a forky moving to our woods on the drive in.
    Did not see him in there, or any other deer.
    Wind picked up. Squirrels in lesser activity than yesterday.
    Had a raccoon climb a log leaning against my stand's tree, looked to be coming up to me next.
    Pulled my bow rope up and it got snagged, the hook swinging out a bit, even with his face.
    He sniffed the hook as it swung and I got it to pop free. He looked up and I plopped him with it.
    Just eased on down, ambled away. Not even scared.
    Pretty little thing he was.

Top Bottom