Happy Opening Day for Indiana's Archery Season!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Windy here. We took a walk in the woods today to see who/what was out and about. Saw plenty of stands on the perimeter of our property but no other humans to be seen. We spooked a few deer that were bedded down in the middle of our woods and picked up some turkey feathers. Just a nice walk in the woods on a beautiful day. Too warm to hang one anyway.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Took Friday of and went out for the first time. Saw 2 doe driving in but no deer in the woods. Saw plenty of squirrels and could have easily got my bag limit in them. Was nice until about noon when the front blew threw. Evening was a bust due to the wind and mist here and there. Camped out and ended up going back out Saturday morning and saw no deer again. This time I was smart and threw my .22 pistol with suppressor in my back pack. Shot at 3 squirrels, bagged 1, guess I know where I need to brush up now. All in all, great weekend in the woods. Corn and beans were still up in the area I was hunting so once those are out I'm sure the deer activity will increase.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Went out yesterday morning. Had set up a a natural ground blind where two young bucks had been crossing that last two times I have been out. They must have changed their pattern or got spooked by something earlier along their trail. Had a doe come in behind and to my left. Only had one small opening but did not have time to get ready for the shot. Watched her walk back by where I was set up last Sunday. Walked to my other stand to take down a camera. Walked back to where I was set up last Sunday only to have a big buck who was walking that way catch me and runoff. Going back out Wednesday and Thursday mornings. Never been able to get one early in the season so I should not keep my hopes up too much but atleast I am seeing some.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Been out the last few weekends. Last Saturday It was real windy. Had a young six point sneak in right under my stand. He was cruising fairly quick...I assume he was uncomfortable with the lack of ability to hear predators with the wind. This past Saturday I sat for 11 hours and listen to all of the squirrels. Almost drove me insane ther were so many out. Saw a hawk swoop down into the woods about 10 feet away from me after something as well as a nice fat red fox. He came within bow range but it isn't season so I hope he comes back again.

Didn't see any deer until i got in the truck and drove a mile up the road. Had a buck run across in front of me.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Haven't been able to get out since opening day...so I guess that makes me one for one so far!

Should get out Friday. My buddy who's allergic to bees was stung on the way to his stand yesterday - bummer - ended his afternoon in the woods before it got started.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Finally. Tomorrow morning will be my first outing this year. The overnight low is expected to dip down to 34 where I hunt, clear skies and calm winds forecast. Sounds like ideal conditions. I'm leaving work early today and getting all my gear organized and will be ready to leave the house early and will be in my stand before first light.

Couple of my hunting pals have seen them moving in the late afternoon last few days.

Good luck to everyone this weekend. Hope to see some blood on the trail and some pics on the forum!! :D

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Finally. Tomorrow morning will be my first outing this year. The overnight low is expected to dip down to 34 where I hunt, clear skies and calm winds forecast. Sounds like ideal conditions. I'm leaving work early today and getting all my gear organized and will be ready to leave the house early and will be in my stand before first light.

Couple of my hunting pals have seen them moving in the late afternoon last few days.

Good luck to everyone this weekend. Hope to see some blood on the trail and some pics on the forum!! :D

Good luck tomorrow buddy. I'm out of here in about an hour to give my luck a try for the second time this season. Tomorrow I'm moving family, but should be back at it Sunday afternoon. If we blood the knife I will post up Monday.

Top Bottom