handgun found in vehicle bought in estate sale.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just an FYI, SCCY firearms carry a lifetime warranty.
    They claim, with a proper police report, they will even replace a LOST OR STOLEN firearm!

O.k., that out of the way, this is my two cents.
    Crazy as it may sound, I'd call the ATF and ask them what they think.

I bought a break-action single-shot 16ga shotgun some years back on Funbrokers.
    When it showed at my local shop I propmtly picked it up and took it home.
    After tearing it down for cleaning and inspection, I found what appeared to me to be an altered serial number.

I was immediately uncomfortable having this firearm in my house, even though I purchased it, in good faith, thinking it was a legal firearm.
    I fretted about it for all of about an hour before I decided to call the ATF.
    The guy on the phone was very professional and was most interested in "an altered serial number, so he asked if they could send an agent to my house.
    What am I going to do, say no?

I told him fine and we agreed on an appointment, at my convenience, the next afternoon.
    The agent showed up on time and was brief.
    He looked at the shotgun and agreed the serial number looked "odd", but thought it MIGHT have been "double-struck" at the factory.
    He made a note for his files and told me not to worry about it. As far as they were concerned, due to the age, the type/style, and condition of the firearm, nothing really seemed out of place to them.

I slept much better that night...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Personally? I'd return it. Legally, I don't know, lawyers can figure that stuff out. Ethically? I didn't buy it and "finder's keeper's" is for children on a playground. It might have sentimental value to someone to have papaw's gun, or it might just be another $50 they can split, but it's not mine.

My approach would be Don't ask, don't tell" and move on. It's only a $150 gun. Let me ask this... if it was a tool box with $150 worth of tools in it, would we be having this discussion?

See above. I found a ratchet wrench in my truck after the dealer did a recall fix on it. I returned it. Yes, I could have kept, but it's not mine. A moment of carelessness doesn't deprive someone of the right to their own property.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Personally? I'd return it. Legally, I don't know, lawyers can figure that stuff out. Ethically? I didn't buy it and "finder's keeper's" is for children on a playground. It might have sentimental value to someone to have papaw's gun, or it might just be another $50 they can split, but it's not mine.

See above. I found a ratchet wrench in my truck after the dealer did a recall fix on it. I returned it. Yes, I could have kept, but it's not mine. A moment of carelessness doesn't deprive someone of the right to their own property.

I also like the way that you think, Mr. ! :yesway:

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    So, what brand/model of SUV we talking about here? Might be something to look in to.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If my family sells off my vehicle or stuff and you find hidden guns cash, metals, memory sticks ect, in something you bought at auction keep it, you bought it. Do not contact my family.
    That's honestly how I feel.

I love how it turned out to be a POS sccy. Guy could afford to stash a reliable gun and his wealthy but cheap ass stashed a pos sccy.
    Should have used some of his wealth to learn about firearms I guess.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Interesting read.
    I grew up going with my parents to estate sales.
    One of the joys was hoping you'd find the Declaration of Independence hidden in some purchase, or gold or silver, or whatever.
    If you buy it at auction: its all yours: good, bad or ugly.

Firearms does raise the ante and you wouldn't want to be liable if there was a bad record.
    I bought a gun at big gun auction once and had to return later it b/c it was stolen.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If my family sells off my vehicle or stuff and you find hidden guns cash, metals, memory sticks ect, in something you bought at auction keep it, you bought it. Do not contact my family.
    That's honestly how I feel.

I love how it turned out to be a POS sccy. Guy could afford to stash a reliable gun and his wealthy but cheap ass stashed a pos sccy.
    Should have used some of his wealth to learn about firearms I guess.

Cut the pic of crap up and throw away the bits.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Interesting read.
    I grew up going with my parents to estate sales.
    One of the joys was hoping you'd find the Declaration of Independence hidden in some purchase, or gold or silver, or whatever.
    If you buy it at auction: its all yours: good, bad or ugly.

Firearms does raise the ante and you wouldn't want to be liable if there was a bad record.
    I bought a gun at big gun auction once and had to return later it b/c it was stolen.

You have my attention! Are you able to share details? This is something always discussed as a concern but I don't remember hearing how it actually plays out in reality.

It is a good logic exercise. Here is my brains "behind the curtain".
    Generally speaking I'm with BB and MindfulMan but the details of the situation cannot be ignored.
    --The property was being sold by the entity of the estate, not an individual. Not that it changes morality or the purchasers obligation IMO, just that it will complicate things when trying to "return" it. I picture paperwork, "OK, the estate now has $100 more in property to deal with, the sale is over, what do we do with this?" The lawyers or head of the estate will rack up more time in handling it than the gun is worth. That doesn't address the issue on the buyers side where the hassle of contacting them, figuring out how they want to handle it, shipping or heaven forbid taking a 2h drive to deliver a $100 gun to an estate... yeah, not going to mess with it.
    --This is a logistics and money issue. An estate sale that sold by my estimations over a million dollars in items will consider this more of a hassle.
    --Time is money! It's like when a patient asks me why I won't discuss (haggle) saving them $20. What I want to say is 'because it costs me $25 to have the conversation!".
    --It isn't politically correct but I do factor in that this isn't a regular Joe. He was an engineer with a patent for some gadget that made him millions. This $100-200 gun is a tool the guy used, not an heirloom. It is a Harbor Freight tool not a SnapOn on top of that. The small chance that a family member wants this exact gun weighed against the extremely likely odds of it being a sig. hassle is not a favorable RBA. (Risk ben. analysis.)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Generally speaking I'm with BB and MindfulMan but the details of the situation cannot be ignored.

I'd call the estate and ask how they want to proceed. If they say "it's yours" then it's yours free and clear, with the peace of mind that goes with it. Then you can toss it in the dumpster where it belongs. Or hide it in a litter box for the next lucky recipient who "finds" it. If they want it returned, they'll arrange for pickup, etc.

You have my attention! Are you able to share details? This is something always discussed as a concern but I don't remember hearing how it actually plays out in reality.

The rightful owner gets the gun back. Nobody after him had the legal authority to transfer ownership. If the thief is identified, you can sue for your money back....good luck.

Top Bottom