• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    I was changing out the bags in the wife’s car tonight. As I was ensuring they had everything in them, I got to wondering. What is the effective life of the air activated hand warmers? I didn’t open one up to test yet. They were new last year. What is everyone’s experience.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Replace them every year. They do go bad. It is a chemical reaction, after all.
    And if you can, store them in a hard sided container. It doesnt take much to puncture the plastic and ruin them before you can use them.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    My wife depends on these for real, not just comfort. We keep them everywhere. Cars, camper, house, multiple coat pockets. You don't need to replace them, based on 22 years of experience.
    In the really weird situation where you have one that doesn't activate, which we have never had happen, put 3 where you put 2 if you are that worried about it not heating up.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The disposable ones work by oxidizing iron, a.k.a. rusting. Oxygen will make its way through the plastic, but how you store them makes a big difference. I buy them in bulk and then put them in a sealed ammo can. Just taking out a few that I need from time to time. I pull some out that were over five years old and still fine. I’ve also had some go bad in my hiking pack within about 2 to 3 months. Mostly because the plastic develops small punctures. For the really big ones, you can also stop the reaction by sealing them in a plastic bag with all the air removed. I’ve done that one hunting and I want heat, but then shoot some thing early on. You can do the same with the small ones, it’s just far less effective.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I bought a large quantity of them many decades ago when I was doing a lot of winter hiking and camping. I ended up with a box of 20 or so that rarely got used. They were still good at least 15 years later. They eventually clumped and hardened and a few got tossed.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Replace them every year. They do go bad. It is a chemical reaction, after all.
    And if you can, store them in a hard sided container. It doesnt take much to puncture the plastic and ruin them before you can use them.
    Yep, I know this. Found out the hard way.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The disposable ones work by oxidizing iron, a.k.a. rusting. Oxygen will make its way through the plastic, but how you store them makes a big difference. I buy them in bulk and then put them in a sealed ammo can. Just taking out a few that I need from time to time. I pull some out that were over five years old and still fine. I’ve also had some go bad in my hiking pack within about 2 to 3 months. Mostly because the plastic develops small punctures. For the really big ones, you can also stop the reaction by sealing them in a plastic bag with all the air removed. I’ve done that one hunting and I want heat, but then shoot some thing early on. You can do the same with the small ones, it’s just far less effective.

This cannot be stressed enough. I'd suggest also adding food grade oxygen absorbers into the cans as well.
    Shibum and I are on the same page. Protect them from O2 and pokey things.

Just tossing them into a pack or shelf will result in O2 slowly neutralizing the chemicals.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I ordered bulk three years ago next month (december). I read this thread, went and retrieved one and it worked/heated fine. I store them in the cellar which is cool, dark and dry. I could see where they might be more prone to fail if they're just tossed around in a go back and subjected to various climates, conditions and hazards.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I switched to USB rechargeable ones last year. Never looking back.
    I also have a battery bank with 4 little solar panels, but thus far always have power to plug them into.
    I do hike a decent amount in the cold and the pair I have usually runs around 8hrs(5500maH). I have seen them all the way up to 10,000MaH. They are normally in pairs on Amazon,but you can also find them at most chain stores like Target,Home depot,and even places like Kohls.

I do not leave them unattended while they charge and make sure they are cooled down before putting them away.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    I buy the disposable ones by the case. With 4 kids and a wife that hunt and ski we're in tht outdoors in the cold a lot. Some years I'll buy 3 cases, some none. Just depends on the usage cycle and weather.

I store them in bulk in a cold dark place. Anything i think we won't use that year gets vacuum sealed.
    If they are soft in your hand, in the package, they are good to go. Hard ones have gotten a leak because the package failed

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Zippo 12 hour refillable hand warmer. I know a couple of guys that use these for hunting.
    That Zippo is real new school. I have two Jon-E warmers. The small one was patented in 1960 and the big one in 1970. Found the following history on the Jon-E.

Smith was awarded a patent for his invention on December 25, 1951. The design of the Jon-E can be seen below. An article about the handwarmer in the Minneapolis Tribune in 1953 remarked that it looked like an oversized cigarette lighter. The chrome-plated device comes in two parts with an internal burner. It also comes with a red flannel carrying case, and a set of instructions.​

The Jon-e was manufactured at Aladdin Laboratories, Inc. of Minneapolis, where Smith was president. Aladdin was founded in 1930 and originally created cosmetic products until Smith developed the Jon-e. At the height of production in the fifties and sixties, the factory produced 10,000 warmers a day. In the following decade, Aladdin went out of business. Although, vintage Jon-e handwarmers can still be purchased online as the product was durable enough that it developed a reputation for longevity and reliability. The Jon-e was and is mainly used by hunters and fisherman, but Smith himself said, “The handwarmer market includes just about everyone who would rather be warm than cold.” It’s safe to say that includes all of us.

I used these when I was a dock supervisor at a truck line in Coldwater, Michigan in the early 70's. They still work.

Jon-E Warmers.jpg

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Burned up a pair of pants with one of them over filled with lighter fluid back in the 60's - then they came out with that charcoal looking stick in the 70's that you would light one end and seal it in a red case. now I use a rechargeable one. Good for 6 hour and plug it back in to charge.

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Burned up a pair of pants with one of them over filled with lighter fluid back in the 60's - then they came out with that charcoal looking stick in the 70's that you would light one end and seal it in a red case. now I use a rechargeable one. Good for 6 hour and plug it back in to charge.
    Is that a fire in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

Titanium700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Otisco
    I always get the big box of the 18 hour hand warmers online from Amazon.
    During our hunting season we blow through them.
    Especially my wife.
    She likes 4-6 on her everytime she goes out.
    Lol

Lpherr

Occupied
    That Zippo is real new school. I have two Jon-E warmers. The small one was patented in 1960 and the big one in 1970. Found the following history on the Jon-E.

Smith was awarded a patent for his invention on December 25, 1951. The design of the Jon-E can be seen below. An article about the handwarmer in the Minneapolis Tribune in 1953 remarked that it looked like an oversized cigarette lighter. The chrome-plated device comes in two parts with an internal burner. It also comes with a red flannel carrying case, and a set of instructions.​

The Jon-e was manufactured at Aladdin Laboratories, Inc. of Minneapolis, where Smith was president. Aladdin was founded in 1930 and originally created cosmetic products until Smith developed the Jon-e. At the height of production in the fifties and sixties, the factory produced 10,000 warmers a day. In the following decade, Aladdin went out of business. Although, vintage Jon-e handwarmers can still be purchased online as the product was durable enough that it developed a reputation for longevity and reliability. The Jon-e was and is mainly used by hunters and fisherman, but Smith himself said, “The handwarmer market includes just about everyone who would rather be warm than cold.” It’s safe to say that includes all of us.

I used these when I was a dock supervisor at a truck line in Coldwater, Michigan in the early 70's. They still work.

View attachment 313282
    My grandfather always had these for ice fishing, along with the lantern in the sled.
    I still hated going with him.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I've never been a fan of the hot hands for long term "just in case." I've had a couple of times when I've opened them and nothing. I don't know if the factory didn't seal them correctly or if they were just too old. I keep two zippo refillable hand warmers in my bag with some fuel in a sealed box. I also normally keep 2 of the electric hand warmers in there with charging cables. In my hiking pack I also keep a 40watt folding flexible solar panel with them.

Top Bottom