• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If you have access to the actual charging documents for someone in Porter County who was charged with a crime despite having an LTCH, I suggest that you post them here.

Until then, I'm calling BS on this one. There are just too many investigatory steps between LEO first encounter and charge for me to believe that something like this would happen.

I have far more confidence in the professionalism of the police and prosecutors than to believe this happened without seeing any evidence.
    Here is a link to a thread I believe the OP was referring to in regards to the arrest of two young LTCH holders for misdemeanor "refusal to aid police" for not producing an LTCH or ID upon request.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...f_defense/224645-2_ltch_holders_arrested.html

I'm just supplying the link. Make of it what you will.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    I've not dealt with juveniles and I don't know what the charging standards are. I do know that, absent a significant record of police involvement, that delinquency petitions are rarely filed. I'm also unfamiliar with the standards applied when choosing to charge underage persons as adults. So if you're asking me, I just don't know, because I don't have experience with that. I can say that if they were charged, it probably wasn't their first or second rodeo, just from what Brian told me in the past.

I do agree with you that while the law often protects stupid, this seems like the kind of stupid the law ought not tolerate and that the public should expect arrests in that case.

But I also do think that if the only evidence an officer has is that a person is carrying a gun while minding their own business, that a custodial arrest, jail, and a criminal charge without even bothering to figure out if they actually have an LTCH would be problematic to say the least.

Call it a "totality of the facts" test. And most cops are perfectly capable of telling "lawful carrier" from "crime." That's why we pay them the 'big bucks.'

Is this a serious post?

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN

Thanks for the post......guess it proves the line....

Play stupid games and win stupid prizes! :rockwoot:

Kinda sad............40 years ago they would have been put in the police car and taken home to their parents where they would have received a butt whippin! Now a days it has to be a Federal Case! :dunno: Not saying the police were wrong today........just would have prob. been handled different back then.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Glad your encounter was a polite and quick one. I think the officer was more stating his concern of holster choice not method of carry. The first post was not as clear as the latter with more detail.

I also take offense to an officer asking me to cover up for someone else sake. He is in an authoritative role and even if he is polite, he is using his position to make you comply with his opinion/personal preference. I came to my decision to OC with a lot of thought so I am not interested in a sales pitch for CC.

Last edited:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Glad your encounter was a polite and quick one. I think the officer was more stating his concern of holster choice not method of carry. The first post was not as clear as the latter with more detail.

I also take offense to an officer asking me to cover up for someone else sake. He is in an authoritative role and even if he is polite, he is using his position to make you comply with his opinion/personal preference. i came to my decision to OC with a lot of thought so I am not interested in a sales pitch for CC.

YOU no good intolerant LEO hater! It's people like YOU that are wrong with this world! YOU shouldn't be allowed around children or small fur bearing farm animals with an attitude like that. People like YOU make me sick!

Wait a minute............I agree with you! Never mind! :rockwoot:

bnatc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Oh my word, this has been beaten to death on this site. Indiana isn't a state that allows open carry without at LTCH. So, an individual MUST have a LTCH to carry a concealed or OPEN handgun in a public place. So, the officer has every right to ask that individual for his LTCH and if the person has said item, they're done.

:yesway:

country69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    East Chicago IN
    i have no probelm with a LEO that wants to check to see if i'm legelly carrying.once they check he will leave me alone.and if he made a remark about me not needing a gun i would tell him he should leave his at home.if he feels he needs his gun i know i need mine

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    No proof of LTCH equals night in jail and proving to the judge and prosecutor that you have your LTCH. That sounds like a sound decision.:dunno:

Believe that is a mistake... supposedly your LTCH shows up with your DL I believe, all they should have to do is punch your driver's license into their handy laptop and bam they got what they need.

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Oh my word, this has been beaten to death on this site. Indiana isn't a state that allows open carry without at LTCH. So, an individual MUST have a LTCH to carry a concealed or OPEN handgun in a public place. So, the officer has every right to ask that individual for his LTCH and if the person has said item, they're done.

^^This^^ All you cop bashers stop it.:yesway:

And you are supposed to have your LTCH on your person when carrying. Thats the rule. Just like getting a ticket for driving without your license on you. Ticket!

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    Believe that is a mistake... supposedly your LTCH shows up with your DL I believe, all they should have to do is punch your driver's license into their handy laptop and bam they got what they need.

No mistake, a person is only required to show a drivers license or ID if an infraction has been committed. So, we're back to showing the LTCH or provide an ID, which isn't required.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    That's actually a decent encounter for Hammond. I've had two. One was fine, he was quite willing to listen to me explain that OC was allowed and said he would check into it. The second one not so good but I guess it could have been worse. I havent had any issues since those two encounters several years ago.

Top Bottom