• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    Any one ever go hammock camping instead of using a tent?
    Just started reading up on diffrent makes/models and I am very intrigued with the idea of having a enclosed shelter that is both compact and comfortable.
    Getting older and would rather start packing lighter instead of adding more gear to haul around.
    I really like the all enclosed kind with the bug net and rain fly such as Hennesey, Clark, Warbonnet etc...
    Well any helpful suggestions would be appreciated in advance.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I am totally sold on the Clark jungle hammock. I have an ultra-light and have camped in blistering thunderstorms sound as a babe.

I have probably twenty some nights in my clark and have no complaints. I would advise taking caution with cold weather. I've slept in my ultra-light hammock down to single digits and it was COLD with 360 degrees of heat loss.

I've not slept in a tent since I got my Clark. Its awesome, I don't have to worry about the ground being level or rocky or wet, I just tie up the hammock and the fly and go to sleep. It's not much for sitting around playing cards, but its great for sleeping.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    clark is the **** but they are expensive. check out hennessey hammocks they are pretty solid for a good price to get started. clark just came out with a new model that is excellent for winter camping. but the real key is a good hammock quilt. it basically fastens on underneath the hammock so your not compressing it and adds your insulation that way. they are basically sleeping bags that aren't zipped together (which is good because the bottom part of your sleeping bag is pretty useless as all the insulation is compressed and doesn't work.)

the only real downside to hammock camping is the widow makers (really big dead tree limbs sitting up high just waiting to fall on you or hell even some live ones in a good storm) and having to have trees to use it, other than that is great. you will wake up a lot more rested and not sore at all and probably save a good bit of weight and room in your pack while doing it

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I picked up a Hennessey a few years ago and love it when I'm going somewhere by myself or a paddle trip of any sort. If I went more often, I'd look into a Clark. Hard for me to justify it though.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    clark jungle hammock. i've used mine so much i had to replace the strings. other than that it is A+ for spring/summer/fall outings.

there are also some cheaper routes to take if you want to play with hammocks... eagles nest outfitters makes a less expensive hammock that is well made and lightweight. get on ebay and find yourself a good sized silnylon tarp to use for a fly. only thing you are missing that the clark has is a bug net at that point and you could either go without or create your own...

:yesway::yesway: for hammocks.

Top Bottom