• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    For the past couple days I've been battling a furnace that didn't want to run right. Every time i thought i had it narrowed down the symptoms would change and lead in a completely different direction. Well finally it wouldn't run at all. The issue it said was an open limit switch. Fair enough ill bypass the switches to see if it will at least start nothing. I'm stumped. All wires were snug and using a volt meter i didn't have an open circuit. Just happened to think to look on the back of the control board to see if anything was fried and saw several cold solder joints. Quick trip to Menard's for some solder and an iron and shes running 100% now. Every time i would fiddle with it a different combination of solder joints would open or close leaving me running in circles. Just wanted to share my accomplishment as I saved myself at least the cost of a new board (150$) if not more replacing parts that didn't need to be. I'm sure most can relate with that feeling of accomplishment after almost giving up. :):

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For the past couple days I've been battling a furnace that didn't want to run right. Every time i thought i had it narrowed down the symptoms would change and lead in a completely different direction. Well finally it wouldn't run at all. The issue it said was an open limit switch. Fair enough ill bypass the switches to see if it will at least start nothing. I'm stumped. All wires were snug and using a volt meter i didn't have an open circuit. Just happened to think to look on the back of the control board to see if anything was fried and saw several cold solder joints. Quick trip to Menard's for some solder and an iron and shes running 100% now. Every time i would fiddle with it a different combination of solder joints would open or close leaving me running in circles. Just wanted to share my accomplishment as I saved myself at least the cost of a new board (150$) if not more replacing parts that didn't need to be. I'm sure most can relate with that feeling of accomplishment after almost giving up. :):

Excellent. My GF tells me to scrap my furnace but I have fixed it about 3 times now and it is still running. Why spend about 3K when you can fix it for a fraction?

Top Bottom