Had a rather interesting day @ work today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    So, I help give care to an older gentleman, in his home, with dementia. He will sometimes resist the idea of doing his tasks (a short walk, shower, shave, etc.) when I 1st arrive, but before too long, he is happy to do them with some prompts.
    Well, today I show up to give his wife a little respite and she tells me that he has locked himself in the bedroom. As we couldn't locate a key, we decided to just wait him out (and the wife called the son to come back & talk to him). I complete a few of the tasks that were requested & walked back to the bedroom to see if it was still locked (it was). As I step around the corner, into the hall that leads to the front door, I see a man at the door, door in his left hand, Glock in his right, pointed at me. As he says, "show me your hands", I notice that he is wearing a vest with the words "POLICE" across the front. There was also a badge that I recognized as IMPD in the top center. I slowly raise my hands, fingers spread out about shoulder high. He asks who I am, to which I say "caregiver". He tells me to get on the floor, which I slowly did. He then turns & enters the kitchen & scares the pee out of the 80 yo wife. W/ in a couple of minutes a uniformed IMPD officer comes in then another a few minutes after that. As soon as they determined that the elderly gentleman has dementia, they said I could get up. The 1st officer noticed the bulge on one side of me (my multi tool/flashlight/pen holder), comes over & lifts my shirt and says, "What's that, your gun?", to which I reply, "No, it's on the other side." He goes to that side & removes my G19, unloads it & sets it down. As he's doing this, I'm diggin out my LTCH, which he wasn't very interested in @ that moment.
    Once it was determined that everything was "ok", he gave me my gun, loaded mag & the round from the chamber. The son had arrived as this was all unfolding, too. I informed the officer that the owner had a gun that was in another room (old one that had been deactivated by a family member). They told the son that he should remove it from the home, which he did.
    Evidently, while the older fellow was in the back of the house, he called 911 & told them that 3 armed men had broken into his house & was robbing him!!!
    This day, with the little bit of unexpected excitement that presented itself, could have gone so much worse!
    I am very impressed by the officers that responded, the professionalism and care that they took with not only this older fellow, but also his wife, son & me. Due to that, I'm not writing this from a hospital room, and I'm not in the morgue!
    Now to find out what district they are in & contact their supervisor to give praise where it is due!!
    Good job, guys!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My grandpa called the cops when he had dementia. He was having hallucinations and thought he was being robbed. The cops arrived and figured it out after talking to my grandma.

It's very sad to watch that happen to somebody. He passed away in '09, sorry to thread-jack.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Time to ship grandpa to a care facility where he can't harm himself or others.
    I don't know what kind of experience you have with care facility but in mine experience the odds are not any better.

OP I'm glad everything turned out alright. That had to be a scary moment.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    OP, you have a very tough job, I admire anyone that can handle the stress of that occupation.
    My mother had a stroke when she was nearing 90, and it gradually affected her reality. It is one of the most heartbreaking things a person can endure. My three sisters all wanted me to take over guardianship, I reluctantly agreed. My mothers situation deteriorated to the point where she became a danger to herself. She lost all reality and would leave her home and wander the city. After this occurred, the police were involved and very helpful. They advised me to have her placed in a facility where she could be attended 24 hours a day. First my wife and I tried to take care of her, then my sister, and even my son's. None of us were capable of maintaning the vigil 24/7 required, so I had to place her (against her wishes) in a nursing home. It is one of the hardest decisions I ever made. I sincerely hope and pray I do not live long enough to lose my sanity - it is certainly a good argument for assisted suicide.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    When I was a dispatcher we had a man who would walk away from home at night thinking he had to go to work. One time his grandson was with him trying get him to go back home with no luck. His grandson called 911 and I had to pretend to be his supervisor and tell him he didn't need to come in to work. It worked and we got him home safely.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    A little bit of a turn off of the intended subject matter. For that I do apologize.

Fear, tuned with pharmaceuticals (I don't know that for sure, but it's the norm), topped with horrible food reality (unless he's eating correctly, organic, and or growing his own, which is not the norm), and living in a place apart from those who should REALLY be caring for him (those that he cared for such as his son) will lead us all eventually to the same end, the imposed death panels (It's for the greater good).... into someone Else's care... or into the grave, penniless, broken, alone... It's a trend of horror, but for some reason IT'S HAPPENING TO ALL OF US.

Do we actually care enough to get to the Roots of all of this horror that we call Life... Because if it's so horrible. If we're so powerless to live it to the fullest for ourselves and our children, What's the point!?

However, doing what we can inside of the box that we live is courageous in it's own. I'm just trying to give the best that I can, to the people I regard as wearing the crown of wisdom. The ones that deserve our real attention. Listen to them as they speak. They remember what RESPECT meant. They have so much to teach, we just have to be there to listen.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Interesting story Minuteman. I'm glad it all worked out as it did. I admire folks that have the compassion, patience, etc. to work with people that are in this stage of life. With my mom, we had a similar phase of life and it is painful to experience. I can't imagine doing it for a living. Kudos to you.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I am not at liberty to comment about dementia care in a long term facility, but I wouldn't place any of my loved ones in a secure unit. I work in one.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    A little bit of a turn off of the intended subject matter. For that I do apologize.

Fear, tuned with pharmaceuticals (I don't know that for sure, but it's the norm), topped with horrible food reality (unless he's eating correctly, organic, and or growing his own, which is not the norm), and living in a place apart from those who should REALLY be caring for him (those that he cared for such as his son) will lead us all eventually to the same end, the imposed death panels (It's for the greater good).... into someone Else's care... or into the grave, penniless, broken, alone... It's a trend of horror, but for some reason IT'S HAPPENING TO ALL OF US.

Do we actually care enough to get to the Roots of all of this horror that we call Life... Because if it's so horrible. If we're so powerless to live it to the fullest for ourselves and our children, What's the point!?

However, doing what we can inside of the box that we live is courageous in it's own. I'm just trying to give the best that I can, to the people I regard as wearing the crown of wisdom. The ones that deserve our real attention. Listen to them as they speak. They remember what RESPECT meant. They have so much to teach, we just have to be there to listen.

Wow. Buzzkill.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Used to be, people had some respect for their elders...... guess you never learned anything about that...

Rediclious you should be ashamed of your self

Glad we got Neg rep back !!!
    i didnt neg rep you. I was out

someone like the above story needs to be in a professional care facility so they can't hurt themselves or others. Grandpa could have gotten someone accidently shot. My post isn't disrespectful but true. I guess you have a problem with professional medical care facilities for older adults.
    if/when I become like that I will have already made arrangements in my living will to save my family the trouble or feelings of doing it.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    While I'm not crazy about his phrasing, the act of placing a family member where s/he cannot unknowingly do harm to him/herself in a deluded, demented state is not only respectful, it is necessary. This is not to say that all such places are good choices- believe me, some are places I would not place my worst enemy.

Of note, many moons ago, I had a coworker who was also trained to administer extended care facilities. He told me (though I have never investigated the truth of the statement) that the only industry with more strict and thorough regulation than nursing homes is nuclear power.

I think there may be a lesson here related to the amount of regulation and the substandardness (if it's not a word, it is now!) of the care they deliver.

Minuteman, you have good reason to be very proud of yourself. You're doing that man and his family a service and you handled the situation well.

Blessings,
    Bill

Used to be, people had some respect for their elders...... guess you never learned anything about that...

Rediclious

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    If we are lucky enough we will all get old....

Time to ship grandpa to a care facility where he can't harm himself or others.
    ^^^Yea-Out of sight-Out of mind==Right??

Rediclious you should be ashamed of your self

Glad we got Neg rep back !!!

Yea Josh, SOME were never taught an OUNCE of respect!!

i didnt neg rep you. I was out

someone like the above story needs to be in a professional care facility so they can't hurt themselves or others. Grandpa could have gotten someone accidently shot. My post isn't disrespectful but true. I guess you have a problem with professional medical care facilities for older adults.
    if/when I become like that I will have already made arrangements in my living will to save my family the trouble or feelings of doing it.

^^^I'm SURE that your family will be HAPPY!! to have you in a "professional medical care facility", and not hanging around to give them problems!!..Bill.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    ^^^Yea-Out of sight-Out of mind==Right??

Yea Josh, SOME were never taught an OUNCE of respect!!

^^^I'm SURE that your family will be HAPPY!! to have you in a "professional medical care facility", and not hanging around to give them problems!!..Bill.
    If you people think that sending a family member to a PROPER care facility means you never see them again then your dead wrong. I have personal experience in this and visited regularly. More so than before because we made sure the family member wasa
    sclose to us
    as possible and still at the best facility we could find. Without family before is we'd be nothing and have nothing. Cost for proper care even if we had to work extra to provide for it wasn't even a second thought. Your misjudging me based on one poorly phrased statement that is still true.
    The old guy almost got someone shot, could have done it himself or killed himself and eventualy will probably.
    i have a lot of respect for the elderly. Sorry I said "ship him off", I. Could have been more PC but I'm not wrong and I wasn't telling that to his wife or him, I was saying it to what I thought was fellow adults with a backbone. Sorry for the tears fellas.

Top Bottom