Guns with a hammer block, what do you think?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    The SIg P226 and P229 or 228 and 220 all have a decorker they all lower the hammer and block the firing pin. The first shot is double action and the trigger pull is heavier, so no safety needed.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Best to maybe look it up but it is similar to a safety but lowers the trigger back safely without firing the round.

That's a decocker. A hammer block is a part that physically blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin, such as on Ruger revolvers.

jmills

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2015
    Marshall co
    LOL
    I'm thinking I like them. Don't own one yet. I tried releasing a hammer with my fingers (unloaded gun) and the hammer slipped. If it had one in the chamber it would have went off.

Best to maybe look it up but it is similar to a safety but lowers the trigger back safely without firing the round.

Yes

Yes decocker but how can I change the thread title?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm not sure how I feel about decockers.
    The idea is great, until the system fails that is.
    I've never heard of a decocker failing and causing an unintended discharge, but anything is possible.

I still turn my car wheels into the curb on a hill. Yes, the parking mode should hold it where I left it, but you never know.

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a Sig 226 and a Colt .45 Double Eagle. They have decockers and both work perfectly. I think these are much safer than a manual safety

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Currently I have 2 DA/SA handguns. My Sig P938 has a hammer block but my Beretta FS92 was my first experience with a de-cocker and a DA/SA semi auto. My first experience with it at a range was, well.... interesting. Lets just say I'll manually cock the hammer on that first round for now. ;)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have a Ruger P90DC (DC for decock) which I bought new years ago. I like it though am not prejudiced against weapons with safeties either...just have to make sure which one you're carrying.

I also have a Beretta Stampede with a hammer block...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That's a decocker. A hammer block is a part that physically blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin, such as on Ruger revolvers.

I hate to nitpick, but you're confusing a transfer bar with a hammer block.
    The difference between the two is that a hammer block interposes solid steel between the hammer and the firing pin, while a transfer bar automatically slides up between the firing pin and hammer only at the moment of a trigger squeeze to prevent a revolver from firing when your finger isn't on the trigger.
    Similar concept, different functionality.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Any P-series Rugers I have are DC. Never saw a purpose for a safety on a carry pistol. Like the Sigs, the first DA pull is harder, but that has not been a problem yet. Has never failed to function, but I always aim it in a safe direction when decocking, just in case.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm the proud owner of a third generation S&W (1006!) with a decocker that doubles as a safety if left in the down position after decocking, and I really like it a lot, even though I never leave it down to act as a safety, since decocking puts the trigger into double action mode.
    Others on this thread have voiced misgivings about how safe a decocker is, but I would point out that I invariably decock only after I ensure that the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction.
    I've never had an issue that way, and it's considerably safer than trying to gingerly lower the hammer after squeezing the trigger.
    If I were looking at getting one of the few DA/SA hammer autos with a choice between decocker or safety models (the Beretta PX4 Storm jumps immediately to mind), I'd get the decocker model and never look back.
    It's an excellent system and certainly superior to trying to disengage a safety should the moment of truth ever arrive.

Top Bottom