• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I would guess I am in the minority here... I don't think either is the government's business...whether I want to purchase a gun or terminate a pregnancy...the government should just butt the hell out.

Both are legal. Why should someone have to battle government opposition to obtain either?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    They kind of defeat their own purpose when they end it with "these restrictions seem far more reasonable when applied to guns." If you want the restrictions to be viewed as unreasonable by others, it doesn't really help your cause to state that you think they would be reasonable if they were applied to a different issue.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm not an abortion prohibitionist and think that the gov't shouldn't have any say in a 1st trimester abortion, but this comparison really is "apple to oranges".

By definition abortion involves destroying life, owning a firearm doesn't. To the extent that gun ownership does legally involve killing, a waiting period and counseling before shooting an assailant definitely is unreasonable to the point of stupidity. Again, apples and oranges.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    whether I want to purchase a gun or terminate a pregnancy...the government should just butt the hell out.

Paul I just want to say that if you ever got pregnant...That would be awesome!!!!!!

And if you kept it to term I would throw you the best baby shower ever!!!

Seriously we would have guns and BBQ.....But not too much for you because I would not want you to have a hard time getting your figure back...I couldn't handle it if you went post partum on us....

:):

Hey I just posted on an abortion thread and for the first time ever I am not worried about getting banned....Sweet...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Paul I just want to say that if you ever got pregnant...That would be awesome!!!!!!

And if you kept it to term I would throw you the best baby shower ever!!!

Seriously we would have guns and BBQ.....But not too much for you because I would not want you to have a hard time getting your figure back...I couldn't handle it if you went post partum on us....

:):

Hey I just posted on an abortion thread and for the first time ever I am not worried about getting banned....Sweet...

Banned.

:lmfao:

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    As has been stated, these two issues - gun access and abortions - are not remotely similar. Obviously, most guns never are used to harm anyone. A firearm is a neutral, unbiased tool that can be used for good or evil purposes, depending solely upon the intentions of the person wielding it. Conversely, abortion is - by definition - the intentional taking of a human life. I have no desire to get into the tired arguments about fetus vs. baby, etc. Some have already said that it is not the government's business to get involved in this issue, and abortion is ok in the 1st trimester. Perhaps I am in the minority here in directly stating this, but I am an abortion prohibitionist. As for abortion being morally acceptable in the 1st trimester, but not later, what is the difference? Viability? No organism can achieve viability if it is intentionally terminated prior to achieving sufficient strength to survive. A baby is a baby is a baby - be it the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd trimester. Arguments like this generate a great deal of heat and little light. I have found that most people are dug in to their position on abortion and rarely deviate from it. I just thought the pro-life view needed to be mentioned, since the other side has been brought up.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    gods don't exist. Nothing is "sacred".

Prove me wrong.

Wouldn't that be the other way around? Would not the need to prove be on your shoulders? Since you introduced a reference to 'gods' wouldn't that imply a faith of some sort? Wikipedia states the definition of faith being: Faith is confidence or trust in a person or thing; or the observance of an obligation from loyalty; or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement; or a belief not based on proof

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    First and 2nd posts nail it, although personally I have some pretty strong feelings on abortion.

It would be interesting (albeit EXTREMELY controversial) to list the number of deaths (including the mother for those that don't consider the fetus a living person) due to each. And, to be fair, the same arguments could apply to the number of lives saved by both abortion and guns.

Typical tactics of using emotions instead of facts to try to sway voter opinions.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wouldn't that be the other way around? Would not the need to prove be on your shoulders? Since you introduced a reference to 'gods' wouldn't that imply a faith of some sort? Wikipedia states the definition of faith being: Faith is confidence or trust in a person or thing; or the observance of an obligation from loyalty; or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement; or a belief not based on proof

I cannot prove a negative. No one can.

The impetus is on those who suppose the improbable.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    I cannot prove a negative. No one can.

The impetus is on those who suppose the improbable.

By the improbable do you reference a concern that the mechanical object/tool we refer to as a firearm could take a life absent someone's actions to pull that trigger? Or does the improbable reference refer to a lump of tissue becoming a human being absent someone's actions to end that process?

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I mean: prove that gods exist.

Secondly, innumerable "lives" are lost before they are born, whether due to human intervention or otherwise.

Such is life.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    gods don't exist. Nothing is "sacred".

Prove me wrong.

As I indicated earlier, I am weary of these debates, especially when challenges like this are presented. However, a current event comes to mind, and I thought I would share it. You say "Nothing is 'sacred'". Your own life is not sacred to you? If it is not, why have firearms in the first place? Why spend money, time, and effort defending something that is not worth defending? I assume you are interested in self-defense, or you wouldn't moderate a forum for gun enthusiasts. Back to my current event reference - We all saw the news story about the young child entering the gorilla's cage in Cincinnati. On a purely hypothetical basis, if that had been a child you knew or cared about that was in the enclosure with the gorilla, and it became clear that the gorilla was acting aggressively and was going to hurt him, would you just sit back and say "Nothing precious to defend here - one mammal is simply stronger than the other - it's the way of nature"? I seriously doubt it. I believe you would be calling for the gorilla to be shot to save the child's life. Why? Because we all know - deep down - that human life is precious.

As an aside, I do think what happened in Cincinnati is tragic. It sounds like the gorilla didn't do anything harmful, though it was clearly a dangerous situation for all parties.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    I mean: prove that gods exist.

Secondly, innumerable "lives" are lost before they are born, whether due to human intervention or otherwise.

Such is life.

I guess I'm not that interested in proving that gods exist, clearly it didn't work out for the Romans. They couldn't all be special.

True, many pregnancies end in advance of a live birth for a number of reasons. Thank [STRIKE]God[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]gods[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]mother earth[/STRIKE] we survived! (sigh) Glad mom [STRIKE]didn't kill us [/STRIKE][STRIKE]didn't abort us [/STRIKE][STRIKE]didn't terminate the pregnancy [/STRIKE] I don't know how to say it with political correctness anymore...glad you made it out alive? made it out then lived? Glad it all worked out for you? Yep, that's the one I'm sticking with! Glad it all worked out for you, such is life. :ingo:

Top Bottom