• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A friend yesterday told me that his daughter in law recently bought a gun from Armslist & the person said they would ship it to their home (.22LR AR rifle platform).
    I told him it would have to be shipped to an FFL dealer & I was concerned it was a scam & they would never see the gun nor their money.

Wrong.
    They received it delivered by the postman today & it was a box labeled as a gun.
    Her husband is a postman & says he delivers guns to homes all the time.

Is it only across state lines a person must use an FFL dealer?

I was surprised that the US Post Office delivers guns even w/i state lines.
    Perhaps not handguns, but rifles are OK?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Yes, within the state of Indiana, a person (non FFL) can ship a rifle of shotgun to another person (non FFL) via the USPS

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    If you have a ffl03 aka C&R license as long as it meets the qualifications they too can be shipped to your home. $30 for 3 yrs.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Actually, it's not. There is an extensive list, compiled by the ATF, of firearms that fit into this category. Most are firearms that were made to be "collectors" and are looked at to have more value as a collector, rather than a shooter.
    An example would be a John Wayne commemorative 1892 Winchester or a John Browning commemorative 1911, even if they were made onky 25 years ago.
    I had a C&R FFL several years ago.
    Looks like that is pretty much for antique collectors.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    INTRA vs. INTER

Intrastate: FFL not required

INTERstate: FFL required.

Examples:

INTRA: A police officer in Bloomington, Indiana has a Colt M6940 that he will get stupid Colt fanboy money from a lawyer in Lafayette, Indiana, with flowing hair, so much hair that he looks like Robert Plant. Lawyer sends cop money via priority mail, cop ships 6940 to lawyer's office. Lawyer, after combing his mad tangle of hair, so much hair, takes weapon home.

INTER: Jasper Lee Lee Longstreet Lee, Jr. of Gnawbone, Indiana, wants to buy a shotgun (non-C&R) from his second cousin's dog, Bitey, in Kentucky. The dog will ship the shotgun to Jasper's FFL of choice. Jasper will pony express a Western Union money order to Bitey. Jasper moseys into his FFL, fills out the 4473 and does the NICS check, unless Jasper has the new 5 year LTCH and is exempted. Jasper moseys homes with shotgun.

Master tech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the education. I had no idea this was an option for in state shipping.
    I see a lot of stuff in the northern area of Indiana I don't go after due to distance and some of it would fall into this category.

DEAIV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Southwest Indy
    INTRA vs. INTER

Intrastate: FFL not required

INTERstate: FFL required.

Examples:

INTRA: A police officer in Bloomington, Indiana has a Colt M6940 that he will get stupid Colt fanboy money from a lawyer in Lafayette, Indiana, with flowing hair, so much hair that he looks like Robert Plant. Lawyer sends cop money via priority mail, cop ships 6940 to lawyer's office. Lawyer, after combing his mad tangle of hair, so much hair, takes weapon home.

INTER: Jasper Lee Lee Longstreet Lee, Jr. of Gnawbone, Indiana, wants to buy a shotgun (non-C&R) from his second cousin's dog, Bitey, in Kentucky. The dog will ship the shotgun to Jasper's FFL of choice. Jasper will pony express a Western Union money order to Bitey. Jasper moseys into his FFL, fills out the 4473 and does the NICS check, unless Jasper has the new 5 year LTCH and is exempted. Jasper moseys homes with shotgun.
    What a story. So poetic, so elegant.

Top Bottom