• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heyimalisha

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I want to know what kind of gun I can own at this age for protecting myself in my own home.

I have been doing a lot of research lately, but sometimes it is easier to have this information paraphrased.

Also, what gun would you suggest for home defense?

I intend to become fully trained for whatever gun I decide to purchase.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    You can purchase shotguns or rifles, you can possess hanguns if they are given to you. You can carry handguns if you have a license to carry a handgun. I recommend a shotgun for.home.defense. I've recently learned not to get a shotgun that doesn't have a stock aka a pistol grip and nothing thst rests against your shoulder, the reason being noone has won a civil suit in a home situation by using one of those because you can't prove you aimed to kill, and aiming to wound is illegal. (To sum it up). So yea shotgun with a stock

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I recommend a shotgun for.home.defense. I've recently learned not to get a shotgun that doesn't have a stock aka a pistol grip and nothing thst rests against your shoulder, the reason being noone has won a civil suit in a home situation by using one of those because you can't prove you aimed to kill, and aiming to wound is illegal. (To sum it up). So yea shotgun with a stock

Do what now?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You can purchase shotguns or rifles, you can possess hanguns if they are given to you. You can carry handguns if you have a license to carry a handgun. I recommend a shotgun for.home.defense. I've recently learned not to get a shotgun that doesn't have a stock aka a pistol grip and nothing thst rests against your shoulder, the reason being noone has won a civil suit in a home situation by using one of those because you can't prove you aimed to kill, and aiming to wound is illegal. (To sum it up). So yea shotgun with a stock

worst. post. evar.

nothing in the above quoted post is even remotely accurate. please disregard.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Lol wut?

images

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne

You can purchase a handgun at 18, as I did, but it has to be from a private party. You can't get a handgun from an FFL (aka a gun store)

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    C'mon guys, he just didn't have his coffee yet...

My suggestion AT-4.

Sorry, I know I'm off topic but it was funny that my google search sent me here... Putting that tag of 'eighteen' on it can be misleading. :D

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    I got my ltch permit when I was 18. I saved my money and my cousin, "former military and current police chief" was more more than happy to purchase a glock 22 for me and then we spent two months shooting and him teaching proper handgun safety before he let me take it home. That was a long long time ago lol. I had a 22 and shotgun at the time to. Get your ltch and save your pennies, if you have never owned or used a firearm before find someone that is willing to teach you how to properly handle one, whether it be shotgun or handgun. Shotys are a good first weapon, so is a 22. Get your safety credits going and learn how to handle a firearm before you delve into them to deeply.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Welcome aboard Alisha! There are lots of options for home defense, but what about while you are out and about? It's worth considering as well. A simple pump shotgun like a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 makes a good home defense gun. If you go that route, avoid the long hunting barrels as they become cumbersome around corners. You can generally swap barrels out to get a shorter barrel down the road, but that just makes the gun more expensive than it should have been.

Handguns are an excellent choice as well. There are a huge number of styles and calibers available, so finding one that fits you should not be a problem. The best thing to do is try shopping at gun stores to see what you like. They cannot sell you one, but you'll get to see what fits. In the mean time, participate in the INGO forums, ask questions and make fun of people that call a magazine a clip (it's an INGO tradition). Once you have 50 posts, you can start looking in the classifieds for the gun that fits and buy it via a private sale. Also, get your LTCH. The license to carry is asked for by a lot of folks before they will sell privately. It's a simple way of verifying someone is not a felon.

Now, someone will correct me if I'm wrong about being able to handle, but not purchase a handgun at a local gun store. That might vary from shop to shop.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Lmao I was drunk when I posted that yesterday, but what I was saying is in Indiana you are good to go buy rifles or shotguns and have handguns passed down to you. A fellow ingoer who works at a LGS told me that having a shotgun that doesn't have a stock and only a pistol grip isn't a good idea for home defense because in court you cannot prove you intended to hit your target with a lethal blow since you cannot look down the sights. He said that (I believe in Indiana, not the whole country) everyone has gotten out of any criminal suit do to it being a legit homedefense but got caught up in civil suits. Like I said not my info directly, but it came from a credible source, and that's why I didn't buy one the day I was looking for one.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    At 18 you can own both handguns and long guns.There might be restrictions for you buying handguns from a FFL but that doesn't keep you from owning them.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I got my ltch permit when I was 18. I saved my money and my cousin, "former military and current police chief" was more more than happy to purchase a glock 22 for me and then we spent two months shooting and him teaching proper handgun safety before he let me take it home. That was a long long time ago lol. I had a 22 and shotgun at the time to. Get your ltch and save your pennies, if you have never owned or used a firearm before find someone that is willing to teach you how to properly handle one, whether it be shotgun or handgun. Shotys are a good first weapon, so is a 22. Get your safety credits going and learn how to handle a firearm before you delve into them to deeply.

Uh, I'm no legal expert, but this is not a good idea. Sounds a lot like a straw purchase. You can buy from a non-FFL, or receive a gift, but you should not have someone else make a purchase for you.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    My advice would be a handgun since it's easier to move around the confines of a dwelling if you need to and it can be used when out and about as well.

Also, suggest applying for your Indiana License to Carry a Handgun straight away. You'll need it to carry said handgun, and many private sellers will want to see one before selling to you. You can research firearms a bit more while waiting for your LTCH to arrive, which can be a couple/few weeks if you go through the L1 process.

There are a number of good trainers here on INGO from which to get instruction. HIGHLY recommended.

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    Uh, I'm no legal expert, but this is not a good idea. Sounds a lot like a straw purchase. You can buy from a non-FFL, or receive a gift, but you should not have someone else make a purchase for you.

You are right. I would not recommend it but at the same time I could have worded it this way, he bought the firearm and the sold to his family member "me" two months after he got it. I do not condone breaking the law, but at the same time it was a family member helping me out. I was not a felon or someone barred from ownership of said weapon. I should have worded it differently though an thanks for pointing that out.

Top Bottom