Gun store in Bloomington. I put deposit on a gun and was sold back to orignal owner

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Sound as like a pretty crappy way to treat any customer, much less one that spent that much. I’d bash-em…
    wait-a-minute-steve-harvey.gif

Sorry Mike, I had to do it. ;)

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Local Gun Store , American Arms

That's who I wondered if it was. (Just hadn't heard the term "LGS" before.) I'm actually in the process of transferring a firearm through them right now. But I'm a little concerned, as they certainly "did you wrong." I understand if they made a mistake, but can't believe they didn't try to do something to "make it right". It may be worth your time having a discussion with the manager or owner, let him know your concern, and see if they offer anything to smooth the waters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For me this sets it in as a pending sale. Store printed terms of 60 days, amount owed, etc. Unless this is the greatest shop ever I would probably not return.
    Yup and seriously, if they pulled this :poop: on me I would most likely not be allowed back in the shop after conveying my true feelings on this matter. This is total :bs:
    They did not have the ability in this deal to feel sorry for the Good Ole Boy.
    Credit my ass. Cash was given and cash will be returned forth with.

Yeah, I would be pissed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for the reply.
    I honestly am very easy going. A phone call and throwing another little credit on there, hell a shirt, box of ammo, something for the trouble and I would have been totally fine. Going in excited to pick up my P08 to take home and shoot just to walk out was real disappointing.
    Need to let them know they have been outed on the forums for being total idiots.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    P-08. Hmmm.

Let me step back and think a second.

Let’s say that the owner of the P-08 is an older gentleman let’s say the owner has a collection of fine firearms and an outstanding relationship with the shop owner.

The 3-4 k you spent with the store is not all profit.

Now put myself in the shoes of the owner.
    He put the p-08 up for consignment and his daughter got pissed because her husband wanted it. So the owner gives it back hoping he can sell off the others in the collection for a major profit because they are sweet.

50k collection 30 precent to the store.
    That is 15k profit.
    3-4 k I. Direct sales 20 precent profit (guessing you did better that) 800 dollars.

Now you want to stay open. Which person do you **** off. You are going to **** off one for sure.

I have no idea if this happened just saying there might be a reason that the shop is willing to Pisa off someone for the betterment of the business.

I know that my old boss once dropped a long time client because even thou they sent us a lot of business the profit was low and the people we dealt with were assholes.

He just one day said if Jeff calls you tell him to call me instantly. Do not go and fix anything like we used to.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The answer is, you try not to **** either one off. The store could have handled that a lot better. Communication would have been a good start. Some kind of recompense for the loss would have been a good follow-up. Customer service isn't really that hard. A business just has to show they give a :poop: about their customers.

edit: I can't believe that word is being blocked.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I say put in your nicest tacticool pants and shirt, all your guns on your belt and all long guns over your shoulders. Strut in there all uppity and say "you all work on commission right? Big mistake! Huge! Excuse me I have shopping to do!" And strut out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    P-08. Hmmm.

Let’s say that the owner of the P-08 is an older gentleman let’s say the owner has a collection of fine firearms and an outstanding relationship with the shop owner.

He put the p-08 up for consignment and his daughter got pissed because her husband wanted it. So the owner gives it back hoping he can sell off the others in the collection for a major profit because they are sweet.

That is 15k profit.
    3-4 k I. Direct sales 20 precent profit (guessing you did better that) 800 dollars.

Now you want to stay open. Which person do you **** off. You are going to **** off one for sure.

I have no idea if this happened just saying there might be a reason that the shop is willing to Pisa off someone for the betterment of the business.

I know that my old boss once dropped a long time client because even thou they sent us a lot of business the profit was low and the people we dealt with were assholes.

He just one day said if Jeff calls you tell him to call me instantly. Do not go and fix anything like we used to.
    I am thinking this is a push at best.
    I would lay odds they were friends with the Good Ole Boy and that's about the jist of it. I could be wrong. Wont be the 1st time or the last, I am sure. :):

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    They did not have the ability in this deal to feel sorry for the Good Ole Boy.
    Credit my ass. Cash was given and cash will be returned forth with.

Yeah, I would be pissed.
    To clear some things up:
    My options were credit or a check, I typically only deal with cash with guns/ammo for personal reasons.
    P-08. Hmmm.

That is 15k profit.

I figured your scenario is not all that far from the truth. My easy medium would be to tell the guy "hey sorry it sold". It was already packed up in the back, not on display where he would have seen it. It was more like doing him a "favor" than anything else it seems.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I think they screwed you. I think they also would owe you in addition to your money back, to buy the parts you bought from you. You bought those items in reliance upon their promise to sell that pistol to you.
    Both of these.

No store credit because I would never shop there again. While I generally only deal in cash too you will likely need to suck it up and take a check to get your cash back in your wallet. It's not like nobody knows you own guns so you're not leaving a big trail.

And the shop needs to buy back the extra parts you acquired. They can sell them to their Good Ole Boy buddy or put them up for sale or shove them up their...

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    If it was being sold on consignment, the owner can decide to take it back. But the store should have let you know. If it wasn’t a consignment, it was wrong of them not to honor their agreement with you.

Consigned guns have to be logged into the dealer’s Bound Book, so the owner has to ‘buy’ them back. No money need change hands, but the owner has to fill out a 4473 like a regular sale.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To clear some things up:
    My options were credit or a check, I typically only deal with cash with guns/ammo for personal reasons.

I figured your scenario is not all that far from the truth. My easy medium would be to tell the guy "hey sorry it sold". It was already packed up in the back, not on display where he would have seen it. It was more like doing him a "favor" than anything else it seems.
    Take that check and spend your money somewhere else. You dont want a credit at a :poop:show like that. And when you get the check, never go back again.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    No store credit because I would never shop there again. While I generally only deal in cash too you will likely need to suck it up and take a check to get your cash back in your wallet. It's not like nobody knows you own guns so you're not leaving a big trail.
    It's more about not letting the wife see the totals.....:)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's too bad that it is a place you liked to visit. And they are small enough that spending that much money there, they should kinda know you.

I work with a guy who knows them well and has a relationship with them. He buys all kinds of military stuff from them.

I have never cared for them. I went to their store when it was downtown once and once when they moved out on 45. Just never got a good feeling there.

You obviously know them better than I do, but I have a feeling if you raise too much stink, they will just come back at you and the end result will yield nothing and potentially turn into something more damaging.

I like the idea of going back in and showing them how much money you have spent with them and that you won't continue...if that is what you want to do. There are not many options in Bloomington if you are a LGS type person.

Makes no difference to me. I gave up on the LGS a long time ago.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    An even bigger mistake here…

I'm watching Yellowstone but can only catch it when my wife is gone visiting my daughter. She doesn't like it at all. So when she was gone last weekend I binged the first season and a few episodes of season 2. First time I ever watched more than 3 episodes of anything in a day. She's leaving for a week in mid-march. I hope to make it through all the seasons, lol.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    It's too bad that it is a place you liked to visit. And they are small enough that spending that much money there, they should kinda know you.

I work with a guy who knows them well and has a relationship with them. He buys all kinds of military stuff from them.

I have never cared for them. I went to their store when it was downtown once and once when they moved out on 45. Just never got a good feeling there.

You obviously know them better than I do, but I have a feeling if you raise too much stink, they will just come back at you and the end result will yield nothing and potentially turn into something more damaging.

I like the idea of going back in and showing them how much money you have spent with them and that you won't continue...if that is what you want to do. There are not many options in Bloomington if you are a LGS type person.

Makes no difference to me. I gave up on the LGS a long time
    Yeah...
    Bloomington is pretty lacking, I just had a place I could burn an hour once a week handling guns before I buy them. It let me decompress from work as well which was nice. I wouldnt call it even a great place, it was just adequate.

I'm not one to go in and cause a fuss generally, but I agree the push back would be unpleasant all around. I "vote" with my money and just wont go back. Simple enough.

Back to seeing what pawn shops and Rural King get in on my lunch break I guess. Just another bored dude cruising RK with some licorice and sarsaparilla in my hand.....

Top Bottom