Gun store in Bloomington. I put deposit on a gun and was sold back to orignal owner

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    So heres the deal,
    I'm trying to gauge a couple things. Should I be upset, just not do business with them anymore, or things happen get over it.
    The story:
    LGS in Bloomington had a Luger P08 I liked (with leather holster from the correctish time frame). I only had about half the funds on me so I put it in layaway and said I'd be back in a week. In the mean time I ordered grip screws (it was missing 1), a 2nd magazine and a take down tool.
    Fast forward 8 days and I go in to pay it off. At first the guy cant find it, then another guy says oh sorry, the original owner picked it up and we put a credit on your account.
    To be clear, never called me or anything about it no longer being available.
    So the only money I'm out is the stuff I ordered ahead of time, yes I should have probably waited till it was mine to order stuff I guess? I've done that alot though. Is it wrong to think once it's in layaway its "mine"?
    I've been sitting on if I was just disappointed or I should legitimately be upset for a few days now.
    Curious what others opinions are
    Thank you and happy shooting

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've never bought anything on layaway, so I don't know what the norms around it are, but I would think once you put money down on it then that would serve as a contract for you to buy it provided you met the terms and timing for providing the rest of the payment.

I think you probably have the right to be ticked off about it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Handshake deal, or do you have a receipt for the layaway?

If handshake, I'd chalk it up to a ****** deal, and let the LGS know it was pretty ****** of them.

If a receipt, then they owe you the product for the stated amount. It is a contract.

Was the 4473 done already?

Also, was this a pawn shop or a consignment? Don't understand how the "original" owner has any play in this. Either the gun was owned by the LGS or it was owned by this "original" person.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Did you have a contract ? If yes they are ass and should make it right, if no they are just ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Was the gun being sold on consignment?
    Alot of common questions:

#1 I dont believe it was consignment. From the bits of conversation I got it was a "good old boy" and they felt bad and sold it back to him.

#2 had a receipt with the item on it, saying what my remainder was. Was allowed to be on layaway for 60 days. The 4473 aren't done till paid in full and handed over.

#3 it was at American Arms in Bloomington.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    359   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Alot of common questions:

#2 had a receipt with the item on it, saying what my remainder was. Was allowed to be on layaway for 60 days. The 4473 aren't done till paid in full and handed over.
    For me this sets it in as a pending sale. Store printed terms of 60 days, amount owed, etc. Unless this is the greatest shop ever I would probably not return.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I think I would ask if it was on consignment or not. I don't know if layaway with a consignment item is a good idea either.

If it was actually a we felt bad for the previous owner so we screwed you instead then I would not be happy.

Have you used this shop before? I would have a hard time giving them my business again, but if you have a good relationship with them let them know that you're not happy with what happened. Maybe they will try to make it up somehow.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    For me this sets it in as a pending sale. Store printed terms of 60 days, amount owed, etc. Unless this is the greatest shop ever I would probably not return.
    It is far from it. Just decent selections of in store items and prices are mostly ok, some boutique ammo that's a pain to find. It was more about convenience, I can go there on my lunch breaks.
    This is where I was at, I vote with my wallet. Instead of making what I would consider a decent weekly purchase I'll just go somewhere else. Thank you

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    I think I would ask if it was on consignment or not. I don't know if layaway with a consignment item is a good idea either.

If it was actually a we felt bad for the previous owner so we screwed you instead then I would not be happy.

Have you used this shop before? I would have a hard time giving them my business again, but if you have a good relationship with them let them know that you're not happy with what happened. Maybe they will try to make it up somehow.
    Appreciate the advice.
    I'm a decent gun shopper, I frequent the shop once weekly on an extended lunch break, typically for a decent purchase of ammo or something. Realistically I've spent $3-4k there in the last 2 months. Not to be emotional about it but that's part of the reason I feel betrayed.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Based on #1 and #2 - they broke your contract.

Probably not much you can do about it, and not worth pursuing. IMHO: let 'em know how disappointed you are. They treated literal paying customer pretty poor. A phone call may have smoothed the whole thing over. But, some folks just are not good businessmen.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I honestly am very easy going. A phone call and throwing another little credit on there, hell a shirt, box of ammo, something for the trouble and I would have been totally fine. Going in excited to pick up my P08 to take home and shoot just to walk out was real disappointing.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Appreciate the advice.
    I'm a decent gun shopper, I frequent the shop once weekly on an extended lunch break, typically for a decent purchase of ammo or something. Realistically I've spent $3-4k there in the last 2 months. Not to be emotional about it but that's part of the reason I feel betrayed.
    I'd take the stuff you bought for the pistol to them and ask them to buy that from you for what you paid for it. You had an agreement with them and you held up your end of the agreement. I wouldn't be shy about about putting together an itemized list of what you've bought there in the last few months either.

I'd have a case of the *** about this.

ETA: I replied before I read the rest of the thread. Obviously @Expat had a great idea.

Top Bottom