• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Most things improve with time. What I can purchase today is better than what I couldn't afford 20 years ago. However, 20 years from now, those same things will not be as important as they are right now.

When we are young, we want it now! With age, we consider the things we could have done without, but when do any of us consider ourselves old? So, just buy what you can afford and be happy with it. It's sad when I see people with things they can't afford; can't handle the payments and are still miserable.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    You get what you pay for 99% of the time. But if you are lucky enough to find that 1% gem, by all means get it and welcome to the club. I think most of us here are just here to support the 2A. Guns are just a by-product of the reason we all come together here.

Some of the best guns I own are older than most of the members on this forum or are based on designs that are older than most the people on this forum. If it goes bang reliably, then it's a keeper, at any price.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    First of all flip that DPMS and accessories right now while the values are high. Use the funds to get a Glock or M&P, GOOD carry gear and ammo.

Second, forget the .45acp for now. 9mm is adequate for SD and much more affordable to shoot. So do this, shoot it a lot.

I believe we have the type the OP is railing against. And they annoy the crap out of me too. (I love my DPMS and Springfield XD-45 btw)

That said, regardless of what firepower you're blessed with, know it inside and out, and make malfunction clearing a regular practice. You oughta be able to field-strip and reassemble that DPMS of yours blindfolded. Training and muscle memory will ultimately be what'll help you prevail over the thug with the Glock.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Wow guys,thanks for the encouragement.Like I said,I love what I have and all of them do the job they're meant to do.It's nice to know that not everyone in the gun world is so stuck up.

This thread made me think of a quote I like:

Start where you are.
    Use what you have.
    Do what you can.
    -Arthur Ashe

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Hello INGOers.I have to rant about something because it is starting to bug me.First,I'll give some background on myself for those of you who don't visit my profile and maybe you can then understand where I'm coming from.

I am nineteen years old with a wife and infant son.I work nights as a custodian for $10.78 per hour and no benefits.I have two car payments per month along with various other bills.We literally live from paycheck to paycheck sometimes.My very first firearm that i could call "mine" was acquired at age eighteen and was a Cobra .32 semi auto.I had to save up for almost two months to get the $125 for my lifetime LTCH.

Now for the rant...

I am getting tired of reading posts from people being gun snobs.It seems like every time I jump on INGO,I run across a post saying that (insert name of any "affordable" firearm)s are junk.It used to make me feel inferior,now it just makes me angry because people such as myself are getting advice that they have to pay high prices for any good guns.Am I wrong for loving my Kel Tec,DPMS,Maverick,or my Remington?These guns were what I could come by and they all go bang every time that I pull the trigger.I'm now looking for an affordable .45 for carry and my best option,money wise,looks to be a Hi Point due to my financial situation.I have heard stories of Hi Points,Kel Tecs, and other lower-priced guns being junk.I have had great experiences with these "undesireable" guns.I've also heard horror stories about the almighty Glock but I still wouldn't mind having one.My own belief is this:a Hi Point in hand is better than a Kimber on the "SAVE FOR" list.Why do people have to talk so much crap about good guns just because they don't set you back $1000 when you get one?

Bring on the gun snobs...I wouldn't mind some friendly discussion either.

They irritate me too. I have daily carried a Hi Point 9mm for about 6 years now. Until recently I used a soft sided holster because that's all I could find now Fobus makes a retention holster for it my wife and I both have one and love our holsters and our Hi Points. I also have a Hi Point .45 and I carry sometimes too. It is a very large gun so keep that in mind if you plan on daily carry with it. Get the hi point my has never let me down after shooting mine my relatives have purchased hi points also. Bottom line it goes bang every time I pull the trigger. I highly recommend it.:ar15:

m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    The most deadly weapon, next to a marine and his rifle, is the weapon YOU can shoot best with. Don't let anyone tell you different...

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Wow guys,thanks for the encouragement.Like I said,I love what I have and all of them do the job they're meant to do.It's nice to know that not everyone in the gun world is so stuck up.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of INGO:ingo: When I first started up on this site I had just purchased an Olympic Arms AR and caught grief about it:D. Sounds to me for a 19 yr. old with a family you got a pretty good collection of guns. The only gun I owned at 19 (was also married to my first wife, but no kids) was the .22 single shot Ithaca lever action my parents got me for my 12th birthday. Your're always gonna have the "never good enoughs on any site like this". I think you will find that INGO is a great site, even if you never ever get to 50 posts. I love going through and just reading the posts, AND have learned a lot just by doing that. Don't let the "snobs" bother you and :welcome:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    To the OP; Got a couple bits of advice for you, that you may or may not like.

First of all flip that DPMS and accessories right now while the values are high. Use the funds to get a Glock or M&P, GOOD carry gear and ammo.

Second, forget the .45acp for now. 9mm is adequate for SD and much more affordable to shoot. So do this, shoot it a lot.

Third, listen to the smart folks suggesting training. Try not to be so focused on hardware, yet buy well proven brands of gear.

Your handgun is THE GUN that you will always have. Your focus should be on it. Master it, then move on to the long guns. The Maverick will serve your very seldom needs for a long gun.

I love to give Burl a hard time and we don't agree on anything because I'm a wild-eyed open-carrying Libertarian... but he didn't get to be his age because he was stupid. :D

Do this.

I'd say at 19, you're doing something right. You're providing for your family and living within your means. Don't get a credit card. Don't buy anything you can't afford. But sell a few things so you can "afford" to buy at least two completely decent firearms. One to carry on you when you're away from your beautiful woman and precious child and one for her to keep around the house to kill whomever tries to kill them first.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    There have been some great words of wisdom in this thread, it's what makes INGO an awesome place!

One thing I will add: When my kids were little, I would often find myself in a financial bind, because my ex wife and myself just had to drive nice vehicles, and I sold several of my guns that I loved. Hopefully, you and your wife will be wise and not fall into the trap of having to have a new car. Life is tough enough without being tied down to a vehicle payment you can't afford, and it's a tough trap to extract yourself from once you get into it. I had so much cool stuff when I was in my twenties, that I wound up losing because of poor financial decisions. If you are wise at the age of 19, you will be amazingly ahead of your peers by the time you're 30.

I've reached a point in my life where I can afford things I want, but it's mainly due to dumb luck, certainly not because of my decisions I made when I was in my 20's or 30's.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    A lot of guys with tastes for finer firearms had to wait for them for many, many years. Many of them lived pay check to pay check in their younger days and are proud of the fact that they eventually could afford something they dreamed about for years. I'm one of those guys. I've been out of my parent's house and on my own since I graduated from high school. I remember running out of money before the next paycheck more than once when I was about your age. I used to buy live on potatoes and bread and tuna fish because it was cheap food. Might not seem like it now, but the day will come when you can afford some nicer stuff, and when you can, more power to you because you earned it. You might even think that it came a lot faster than you wanted it to.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of the better threads of late.
    I am not aware of many who at 19 were as level headed as the OP.
    I was ate up with anything mechanical from 10 yrs. old and there was never enough money to feed the habit. For that reason I developed a lot of different skills so there was always an avenue for me to find income streams. Worked/hustled bicycles,mini-bikes,go carts you name it. When older it was cars and motorcycles. Always full time employed even in high school. If you want extra, you have to do extra. Wife and kids first last and always but extra takes, well, extra effort. I still do this at 63 so my hobbies/addictions do not take away from my family.
    If you look around something is available.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    The very first two guns I could afford were a HiPoint 45 and a HiPoint 9MM Carbine. I loved to shoot both. Only sold them to finance other guns. If I could have afforded it I would have just kept them too.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Who knew that so many INGOers owned so many crappy guns. :dunno:

And actually - I AM one to talk.

Don't hate me, but my first gun was a SPAS 12 and my second was a Colt 1911.
    I just saved up and bought what I wanted - the first time. I still do.
    No I wasn't rich but I did get to shoot a lot of guns before hand. This really helped me decide and has also made me very spoiled.

I have never owned a gun that I didn't completely love and I still own all of them today.

Now - If this can only be said about woman. :(

I'll still never buy a Duck Gun.

MMRUSH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    From my experience on hear there are few people who are friendly. most are dicks. I feel for you.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I believe we have the type the OP is railing against. And they annoy the crap out of me too. (I love my DPMS and Springfield XD-45 btw)

Glad I got your attention friend. Are you gonna come onto a forum about guns and gripe about folks talking about guns also? :dunno:
    What type am I anyway?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I still have the Llama 1911 I bought when that was what I could afford. It sucks, but it was cheap. Do what you can to do what needs to be done, to protect yourself and your family. It'll get better.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Love the post. Most of us started with hand me downs and cheap guns you could afford on minimum wage. That being said, I've owned a lot of firearms through the years and right now I'm buying the "cheap " hi points. I've owned several and have never had to take advantage of their lifetime warranty,knock on wood. Go with what you can afford, and take care of the wife and kid. God bless

junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    i know how you feel. but if your gun shoots fine, your proud of it, and glad to own it. thats all that matters. just concider others jealous. they can buy the so called "good" gun, and when they jam, or dont function properly, you can be the one that says at least my gun works when i want it to. and i didnt have to a fraction of what you did.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Don't worry about the haters, we all start somewhere, and most start just like you or me, I'm in a very similar situation to you, except I'm 34 and make a little more, but I saved and sold stuff i didnt use anymore to buy my S&W SD40, it's mine, free and clear, and I got it honest, that's all that matters!

Top Bottom