• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mozart3100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Muncie, Indiana
    I have some general questions about gun shows vs gun shops. At which do you think better deals can be had? I have only been to three gun shows including the 1500. It seems to me that the prices were awfully high at the 1500 even though attendance was tremendous. The other two shows I attended were local, but the chances for a good deal seemed to be much better. I have only been to one gun shop locally, but prices and chances for a good deal seem to be very good. Is this the way it is generally, or do I just need to be in the right place at the right time for a good buy?

Last edited:

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I have some general questions about gun shows vs gun shops. At which do you think better deals can be had? I have only been to three gun shows including the 1500. It seems to me that the prices were awfully high at the 1500 even though attendance was tremendous. The other two shows I attended were local, but the chances for a good deal seemed to be much better. I have only been to one gun shop locally, but prices and chances for a good deal seem to be very good. Is this the way it is generally, or do I just need to be in the right place at the right time for a good buy?

OMG I hate the font!

I think that you have to shop around before you go to a gun show but sometimes you will find some hard to find things at a gun show, I found a new mark II at the last 1500.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i think you get better deals at gunshows since there is competition if the only 1500 you have been to was the one earlier this month i wouldn't judge it by that some prices were outrages usually at the 1500 you can find individuals or dealers with what you want at a decent price

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yes please edit your font. Keeping it to the forum standard is just fine.

To answer your question: I feel that gun shows in general are great places to "find" that one special deal you've been looking for (or NOT looking for). Their one big benefit is that they cram lots of inventory and stuff into one place at one time.

However, if you have a gun dealer that is kind of "your dealer" then you can generally get a better deal by patronizing them frequently.

Earl Sinclair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My :twocents:: Where to find the best deals varies from item to item and show to show, but popularity and availability are probably the most important factors. I've had better luck on Glocks, Rugers and other popular but common firearms at shows. Popular but scarce items (currently includes any "black rifle" and ammo for same) often get inflated at the shows, while local shops will try to "hold the line" so their regulars don't feel like they're getting worked over. You can also try 'timing' the shows, especially if things are slow (maybe this spring or summer). Sunday afternoon on a slow weekend, some dealers at the show may be more flexible on their prices, because they don't want to cart all that stuff back home!

I'd suggest checking the online gun auction sites like gunbroker.com to get a feel for current prices before going to a show. If you want something very specific, your local shop may be able to cut you a better deal on a special order than you'll find at the show (if you find it at all).

Of course, if your local shop is Don's, the best prices are always at the show! :D

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    speaking of Don's, how does he stay in business with such high prices?

He loves selling guns!

I prefer face to face deals, in all honesty. Granted, the only show I've gone to is the 1500, but yow, the prices on anything I was remotely interested in were crazy. I've yet to find a dealer that really has clicked with me, either.

I've bought numerous firearms off of forums like this, the arf.com EE, etc, and I really do prefer face to face, private buyers instead.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I've been to several shows and gun auctions. No bargains in either setting IMHO. Support your local dealer or find FTF deals!

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I would say both can be good. There is always something I have had my mind on but never go out of my way for, then I see one either at a gun show or at a shop. I call them targets of opportunity....ya go not planning on finding a certain item then see something you have thought about that is priced very well for buying. Hell, I was at a Crown Point show awhile back before sheet hit the fan and seen stripped DPMS lowers for $95 a piece so picked one up. The cheapest I've seen them now is $189. I didn't plan on getting one that day but it was a target of opportunity. I haven't put it together yet since I have more than one complete AR but I do have all the parts.

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My personal preference is gun shows.

I prefer to buy "walking inventory" from private individuals.

I don't like paperwork, but that's just me.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The smaller gun shows locally are a good place to find the occasional deal. I picked up a milsurp at a good price from one of the private sellers. Occasionally, I drop by Cabelas in Hammond and find a good deal there on used guns. I have talked to one of the guys working the the Gun Library and he pointed out some that, in his opinion, were underpriced. I picked up a couple of rifles and a hand gun there at different times, all of which I could turn around for a higher price right away if I wanted.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    The most important thing is to know the market price of the model that you are looking for, that goes for guns, cars or anything else. I learned that on the first gun show I went to. I bought a 10/22 that I was not really looking for but it was in good shape. I am happy with it even to this day, but I could have bought a brand new one with a scope for what I paid for the used one. Little did I know, I could have bargained the price down some more but he saw me coming and knew that I didn't know what a good price would be.

smasherofall

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Hi, newbie here,a little O/T but I have a short story about "Don". My girlfriend was a waitress at the eastside Marriot, and he was entertaining some friends there for lunch, and she was the "lucky" one to wait on them. She said he run her ragged back and forth trying to look like he was some real important hotshot, then left her a $1 tip!! She then proceded to walk up to him in front of his friends, handed it back and said "You obviously need this worse than I do".

RFT

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Valpo
    When a gun is purchased at a gun show, is the same yellow form paperwork required as when purchased at a gun shop. A Cabelas purchase required a lengthy form completion.

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    When a gun is purchased at a gun show, is the same yellow form paperwork required as when purchased at a gun shop. A Cabelas purchase required a lengthy form completion.

if you are buying from a dealer, yes

private individual sale, no

Top Bottom